Mitt Romney owns a giant, bloodthirsty death machine

DC Tom

Or had a pipe burst in the winter. Look I know OC and TYTT make good money as "advisers" or "consultants" or "planers" but they could drop off the face of the earth and no one would care. Try living without a mechanic, plumber or electrician.

I'll be the first one to admit that what I do is way higher up on the hierarchy of needs than my plumber. He's absolutely essential. And yeah, he's worth every nickle I pay him.

How did this thread become about my salary, or how valuable I am?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or had a pipe burst in the winter. Look I know OC and TYTT make good money as "advisers" or "consultants" or "planers" but they could drop off the face of the earth and no one would care. Try living without a mechanic, plumber or electrician.

I could live without a mechanic or electrician in most cases, but damn if I don't hate sweating pipe (I can do it, I just hate it). The only thing I hate more than sweating pipe is anything on the waste side.

I could live without a mechanic or electrician in most cases, but damn if I don't hate sweating pipe (I can do it, I just hate it). The only thing I hate more than sweating pipe is anything on the waste side.

They don't sweat pipe anymore, just sort of clamp them together. Very fast and cool. The tools pretty expensive though.

They don't sweat pipe anymore, just sort of clamp them together. Very fast and cool. The tools pretty expensive though.

The plumber I just had in sweat the pipe. Even though the fixture supported screw couplings.

(Since it was in a sealed wall, I prefer the solder in this case anyway.)

The plumber I just had in sweat the pipe. Even though the fixture supported screw couplings.

(Since it was in a sealed wall, I prefer the solder in this case anyway.)

No there were no screws involved. The plumber joined the pipes with a normal sleeve fitting and put a hydraulic tool on there that crushed them into a sort of pressure fitting. Super fast.

No there were no screws involved. The plumber joined the pipes with a normal sleeve fitting and put a hydraulic tool on there that crushed them into a sort of pressure fitting. Super fast.

Wild. I've never seen that before.

Reminds me of an awkward and painful experience I had in high school. :ph34r:

Wow. I thought you were talking about PEX, on which I'm a convert.

I like it. Mostly the part about resistant to freeze damage. I will be quite happy if I never again have to fix a busted copper pipe.

Just check the building codes, not all municipalities approve pex. But I'm sure your building department is on the ball though.

Look I know you and TYTT love to brag about how important you are and how much money you make but my plumber makes $150 a hour.

I'll be the first one to admit that what I do is way higher up on the hierarchy of needs than my plumber. He's absolutely essential. And yeah, he's worth every nickle I pay him.

How did this thread become about my salary, or how valuable I am?

Apparently somebody decided they were tired of hearing about us, and, it was time to discuss what they do for living? :lol:

Suits me just fine. Let's talk plumbing. I haven't sweated a pipe since I was in high school. But, I think I remember how.

If we don't have to do that anymore? Cool.

And, perhaps I should ask one of my plumber clients how valuable I am. :lol: Ignorance breeds idiocy.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Why are all you doofusses sweating pipes all the time? If you're so worried about it, just buy a new one or get a better homeowner's policy.

On the other hand, if pipes are the only thing you're sweating the rest of your lives must be pretty well under control. Congrats.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Story?

Installing an access keypad on an exterior door at a retirement home. All the buildings before this one had some heating pipes running through a column with an access hatch, the pipes had been secured to one side on the 2x4s. I'm drilling in from the outside when suddenly the guy I was working with starts yelling. Whoever installed these pex lines never secured them, and they were buried out of sight in the spray foam, right where I was drilling through. Luckily it was summer, and they were only running to the radiator to heat a vestibule, but it still took their maintenance guys 15 minutes to come over and shut off the water even though we told them it was a major leak.

Wild. I've never seen that before.

A Propress tool is about 2 grand... Obviously for the professional plumber that will do many jobs to recoup the cost of the tool vs. the labor/time saved having to sweat pipe.

I have used Sharkbite type "push on" fittings in areas where it is tricky (tight areas that you don't want to burn) to sweat... They work very nicely and I never had a problem with them... Just press them on and go. Plumbers hate them! Nice thing is, fittings can be rotated on the pipe and not leak.

http://www.sharkbite.com

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/shark-bite-fittings.html

If you do choose to sweat... Just get a MAPP torch over propane and be done with it. A lot hotter gas and so much easier, even if you hate to sweat. It is incredible how much easier and faster. Oh, make sure you use a heat shield to protect the structure (wood joists etc...).

Anway... They are finding a link to Alzheimer's and copper pipes! Oh, my!