Now for some positivity?

YoloinOhio

Despite how poorly EJ and CJ played and Justin Rogers was, we still only lost by 7 points and had a chance to win at the end. It wasn't a deceptively close score, the game really was close. Unlike many, I did not expect to win this game. I hoped to win, and I thought we had a chance to win, but I did not expect to. Then when McKelvin went down, I thought it would be the Jets all the way and was surprised they only lost by 7. Here are some positives:

- Of the 513 yards allowed by the defense, they did force 2 TOs even with the injuries and if you take the long pass plays completed on Rogers, the Jets passing game did not do much

- The Jets were able to run just as well against the Pats, but this time they actually stuck with it because they were winning the game. Had they done that against thwe Pats, Geno may not have thrown all those INTs and they win

- We have no idea if those long TDs get completed if McKelvin is in there, but I would bet that at least one would not have been. I don't think Rogers sees the field again against a #1 WR.

- I still don't think Geno is a better QB long term. If it weren't for Rogers, he does not have a better game than EJ. I think he throws a nice deep ball when Justin Rogers is the defender.

- I know that everyone wants to blame the offense on Hackett, but Marrone is an offensive-minded HC and he was an OC for 3 years in the NFL for a successful offensive team. I am sure he plays a large part in the game plan and play calling. For some reason, I think they are calling what they think will work against the opponent and with the guys they have. I am being patient with the play-calling. I popped onto the game day thread and I saw someone begging for Hackett to call some risky throws. I don't know why he would do this in a tight game? You cannot afford to turn the ball over in a close game. You have to protect the ball.

-I don't know enough about x's and o's to suggest what they should be calling for Spiller. But whatever they are doing isn't working, whether it is him or the plays, as has been talked about a ton. However, keep in mind that supposedly Marrone has meetings with the captains where they talk about whatthey think is and isn't working. I have to think this will come up and there will be improvement. I agree that if there was one thing Gailey did well it was putting CJ in the right place to gain yards. These guys don't have amnesia - and have film showing what they did.

-Chandler made a great play in the clutch - probably EJ's best pass of the day.

-EJ had some bad throws yesterday but the OL was overmatched, and he still didn't throw any INTs. Rex had 10 days to get ready for a rookie QB and has some talent on the front 7. Anyone remember how the Jets made Luck look last year?

-I think this defense is back to being very good once Gilmore and Byrd return. Waiting to see what is going on with Mario, Carrington, and McKelvin - fingers crossed.

-We all feel snakebitten with the injuries. But if you look around the league, there are significant injuries on every team. You need to adapt by signing guys or trading for guys depending on where you think your team is. Indy is a great example. They had major injuries that was going to derail their season. They didn't accept it and made a move to get better now.

- Also - this team is quite different from previous years in that they didn't let this game out of hand. I like the mentality of this team. I think that starts with coaching and veteran leaders. After the half we were able to stop them on 3rd down for the most part and it was just that TD to Holmes (Rogers) that sealed it. At crunch time, I see guys like FJ and SJ shine. It didn't work out in the end yesterday, but next week will show whether we can bounce back, another good defense but susceptible to giving up points.

One more: I have Torrey Smith on my FF team. Ha - actually I don't care about this, but am reaching for more positives.

GO Bills!

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Anyone who thought we'd have zero stinkers during a season led by a rookie head coach, a rookie quarterback and a 33-year-old offensive coordinator was delusional.

Also: Geno's a punk.

If there is one thing I have been right about in my life, it is judging someone's character. I watched him in college and observed him during the draft and pre-season. There is a reason he was not taken by any teams who needed a frachise QB. It is because he didn't show that he had it in him. The Jets took a chance and his talent has been fairly evident. But there is something missing from that guy. And he is on the wrong team to help him build it.

One more: Freddy Jackson running the football. He fights for every extra yard. I love him.

If there is one thing I have been right about in my life, it is judging someone's character. I watched him in college and observed him during the draft and pre-season. There is a reason he was not taken by any teams who needed a frachise QB. It is because he didn't show that he had it in him. The Jets took a chance and his talent has been fairly evident. But there is something missing from that guy. And he is on the wrong team to help him build it.

One more: Freddy Jackson running the football. He fights for every extra yard. I love him.

Problem is--and the main reason yesterday was so tough to swallow--he's on the right team to capitalize on it,

Problem is--and the main reason yesterday was so tough to swallow--he's on the right team to capitalize on it,

It is not sour grapes, but I don't think the Jets will win many games this year with that offense. They matched up really well against Justin Rogers, but not many teams will need to field a 4th string DB against a #1 WR.

Anyone who thought we'd have zero stinkers during a season led by a rookie head coach, a rookie quarterback and a 33-year-old offensive coordinator was delusional.

Also: Geno's a punk.

I loved the comeback from 20 - 6. Kiko's pick was great (that kids's a playah) , EJ's elusiveness under massive rush was great; love the way he pitches the ball around. The 4th down stop was great. A lot to like against a very very stout Jets front 7. EJ's sidelines throws were pretty good actually, the WRs got manhandled by the DBs. You will see Easley when Goodwin comes back and they both get on the field. Easley won't get pushed out of bounds by DBs.

Dan Carpenter? :unsure:

Ha - why not? Our kicking game has been dependable other than the missed 42 yarder last week.

Spiller's injury day-to-day - said he is sore and getting treatment and should be fine. Say what you want about his production/lack of playcalling to suit his strengths, but having him on the field is very significant to the opponent needing to gameplan for him and open things up elsewhere.

My positive is that this team fought back to tie the game when past Bills teams would have been shellacked. See last year's Jet, Seahawk and Patriot games...that team had no mental toughness at all, they folded like a cheap tent.

That my friends is mental toughness. When things go badly do you fight or fold? This team fights. That is much, much harder to come by than a few players and is one of the most important things needed to change the culture...

Edited by matter2003

I didn't find much to be positive about in this game. Once again, we lose time of possession and it's by a landslide. The team is +2 in the turnover battle, which suggests that they should win the game about 95% of the time, yet they don't. The most dynamic offensive player on the team gets just 10 carries on the ground and they're all up the middle. The play calling was just awful. I see Manuel doesn't want to make mistakes, but his reads are mostly short dump offs to safety receivers. 182 yards on the ground for the Jests is far too much.

My positive is that this team fought back to tie the game when past Bills teams would have been shellacked.

That my friends is mental toughness. When things go badly do you fight or fold? This team fights. That is much, much harder to come by than a few players and is one of the most important things needed to change the culture...

I agree - that really hit me as I watching the game (they showed a ton of the game on red zone because there were only 4 late games and then almost the entire 4th qtr because the other games were over). They were having a really bad day with the injuries, offensive struggles, but we were in it until the very end and making the Jets melt down on their home field. The momentum was on our side and we couldn't finish. I look at some other teams that got manhandled yesterday like SF, Giants, Steelers, etc - these teams all have "great" SB QBs and didn't even compete.

I didn't find much to be positive about in this game. Once again, we lose time of possession and it's by a landslide. The team is +2 in the turnover battle, which suggests that they should win the game about 95% of the time, yet they don't. The most dynamic offensive player on the team gets just 10 carries on the ground and they're all up the middle. The play calling was just awful. I see Manuel doesn't want to make mistakes, but his reads are mostly short dump offs to safety receivers. 182 yards on the ground for the Jests is far too much.

All valid points, but CJ only got 10 carries because he was hurt and wasn't in the game.

positives: fix the O-line (somehow) and we can run the ball and have a balanced offense. Chandler looks to be improving. Get some CB's off waivers until the starters come back (Clements and Trufant) and cut Rodgers or send to practice squad. The secondary will def improve when Gillmore and McKelvin return, and when Byrd is done being a contractual-cry-baby.

I also think that the familiarity on both sides had something to do with the game yesterday. So Pettine knows Rex's defense. Rex knew exactly what the Bills would do too. And yet they were still able to bait Geno into 2 INTs and have a chance to win with a bunch of second, third, fourth stringers, and guys playing different positions (A. Williams at corner). And like any great defensive coach (which Rex is) as soon as McKelvin went down he took advantage. I think our defense will be much better against other teams who aren't as familiar with it. Pending injuries...

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

This might not sound positive but you just have to look at it in the right light.

I was fairly upset last night watching the game and then I realized later, we only lost by a TD. 4 FG's that could have been 28 points instead of 12. I know the team looked awful last night but realizing how depleted our secondary was and how ineffective our offense was we still only lost by a TD. The jets weren't good (other than the D-line), we just had a really bad day and that's going to happen with this new crew. Take the licks and move on to next week.

Edited by The Wiz

-I don't know enough about x's and o's to suggest what they should be calling for Spiller. But whatever they are doing isn't working, whether it is him or the plays, as has been talked about a ton. However, keep in mind that supposedly Marrone has meetings with the captains where they talk about whatthey think is and isn't working. I have to think this will come up and there will be improvement. I agree that if there was one thing Gailey did well it was putting CJ in the right place to gain yards. These guys don't have amnesia - and have film showing what they did.

GO Bills!

Defenses know that Spiller is the only weapon that can hurt them badly. They are focusing on stopping him and daring the Bills to beat them with their rookie QB and young WRs. Things won't get much better for Spiller and the run game until the Bills show defenses that they have to at least respect the passing game. Right now, the do not...

You also said:

-I think this defense is back to being very good once Gilmore and Byrd return. Waiting to see what is going on with Mario, Carrington, and McKelvin - fingers crossed.

I agree if they can every get healthy.

If the Bills had 22 guys with the heart and desire of Fred Jackson the Bills would be in the playoffs. The guy wills himself to be the best player he possibly can be. It's inspiring and I love the guy too.

This might not sound positive but you just have to look at it in the right light.

I was fairly upset last night watching the game and then I realized later, we only lost by a TD. 4 FG's that could have been 28 points instead of 12. I know the team looked awful last night but realizing how depleted our secondary was and how ineffective our offense was we still only lost by a TD. The jets weren't good (other than the D-line), we just had a really bad day and that's going to happen with this new crew. Take the licks and move on to next week.

The Bills only lost by a touchdown because of all the penalties against the Jets. If it wasn't for that, the Bills lose by alot more. So In all honestly, I cannot see this as a positive. The fact the Bills lost to a team who had a crazy amount of penalties and two turnovers, is a negative. The Bills were awful.

My positives to add:

1. We have an accurate field goal kicker. Been pleasantly surprised with Dan Carpenter. He's kept us in all three games.

2. Kiko Alonso. A game-changing linebacker that we haven't had for a long time.