Hey guys, Justin Rogers was our #1 CB for most of today

RuntheDamnBall

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the #4 CB shouldn't be expected to cover the top receivers for a whole game. I just cannot believe that our top 3 CBs and our top S are all injured. And now two of our top D lineman may be down too? What is going on?

Edited by Big C

You get more active bringing in help for the DB's before you're in this spot. And nothing can explain Brown. Legursky couldn't take the job from him in TC so that'sino excuse.

Yeah, there were tons of top notch #4 and #5 CB's out there we passed on, tons. I distinctly remember this board being in an uproar about how bad the end of the secondary bench was and how nothing was being done about it. If there is one thing that is easy to find in the NFL, it's quality CB's. I don't know what they were thinking, its not like we had two first round picks starting at CB and an all pro safety. Oh...wait...

Yeah, there were tons of top notch #4 and #5 CB's out there we passed on, tons. I distinctly remember this board being in an uproar about how bad the end of the secondary bench was and how nothing was being done about it. If there is one thing that is easy to find in the NFL, it's quality CB's. I don't know what they were thinking, its not like we had two first round picks starting at CB and an all pro safety. Oh...wait...

It's not even like they drafted any safeties.

The decision to sit on cap space comes from Detroit,.not OBD.

Not any more. OBD owns this. Even if you give them a pass on the DB mess, LG is a self inflicted wound.

You're right. When your down three starters with serious injuries in the D backfield, do nothing. What could go wrong? Surely nobody else would get hurt. No team would make a bold move like getting say a quality starter for a pick this earky in the season...oh wait....

Not any more. OBD owns this. Even if you give them a pass on the DB mess, LG is a self inflicted wound.

You're right. When your down three starters with serious injuries in the D backfield, do nothing. What could go wrong? Surely nobody else would get hurt. No team would make a bold move like getting say a quality starter for a pick this earky in the season...oh wait....

You're confusing the fact that it hasn't happened for the idea that they aren't trying. Trades take two teams to happen, and nobody is throwing in the towel after 2-3 games. Most teams don't have depth any better than ours, so why should they give theirs up when injuries are commonplace in the league? This is just reality in the NFL.

With McKelvin, it's a thin corps but an OK one. Without him, it's a mess.

Your hands are a bit tied if you want to keep these injured players or use them later in the year. You can't IR everybody, and you can't cut them either. I suppose you could look for a guy better than Justin Rogers, but then you have to answer this: if the guy is better than Justin Rogers, why doesn't he already have a job?

All you guys bagging on Rogers should be bagging on everybody's favorite D coordinator. He did Rogers no favors by having him out there isolated in man coverage time and time again. One of the TDs was, in part, because the S got over there late (and took a bad angle) but pretty much every other time Rogers struggled he was out there on an island.

It's not even like they drafted any safeties.

Don't go there - neither of those guys are players. That's another huge problem. Good teams fill out their rosters with young depth through the draft. The Bills appear to have blown two picks last April on two safeties who can't play. Not writing them off by any stretch but it speaks volumes that they don't trust them out there in a game like yesterday. Meeks shouldn't even be on the team at this point.

All you guys bagging on Rogers should be bagging on everybody's favorite D coordinator. He did Rogers no favors by having him out there isolated in man coverage time and time again. One of the TDs was, in part, because the S got over there late (and took a bad angle) but pretty much every other time Rogers struggled he was out there on an island.

There's no scheme for missing your top 3 corners and number one safety. The scheme is hope like hell your pass rushers get there faster than you could ever seriously count on.

Don't go there - neither of those guys are players. That's another huge problem. Good teams fill out their rosters with young depth through the draft. The Bills appear to have blown two picks last April on two safeties who can't play. Not writing them off by any stretch but it speaks volumes that they don't trust them out there in a game like yesterday. Meeks shouldn't even be on the team at this point.

They are mid/late round rookies. They are the guys teams draft to play special teams for a year or two before contributing. No teams are expecting a guy in Meeks position to be a huge contributor in September. When it happens its a big and exciting positive surprise

@BuffRumblings

Speed run through the TV replay: Jets targeted Justin Rogers' receiver 9 times. 6-9, 254 yards, 2 TD, and a 22-yard DPI.

Call it a hunch, but I have a sneaking suspicion there wouldn't be quite as much weeping and gnashing of teeth over Geno vs. EJ if our secondary weren't a M.A.S.H. unit.

There's no scheme for missing your top 3 corners and number one safety. The scheme is hope like hell your pass rushers get there faster than you could ever seriously count on.

They are mid/late round rookies. They are the guys teams draft to play special teams for a year or two before contributing. No teams are expecting a guy in Meeks position to be a huge contributor in September. When it happens its a big and exciting positive surprise

Thank you.

You draft for depth. There is just no possible way the team could have PLANNED in April (or earlier, for that matter) to lose 4 of their upper-tier players in the secondary.

Complaining about that is feeble and useless.

Rogers did his best. But he is not capable of being locked on a number one receiver.

This was the biggest reason the Jets won. I have got to give it to Geno, he can throw a nice deep ball. However after watching him play yesterday for the second time, he reminds me of JP Lossman.

Pettine was left trying to figure out what to do. The only thing i would have liked to see was giving Rogers a little help deep. I know Pettine was trying to defend the run. But i would rather of made the Jets work their way down the field with the run. To me that gives more opportunity for Geno to make a bad decision and give you the ball back. Hindsight 20/20. But oh well.