These articles are so unintentionally hilarious

Here's an article about how students are "drowning" in student loan debt, and how they can't find decent jobs despite having their college degrees:

http://mv-voice.com/...rowning-in-debt

And here are the people profiled in the article, along with their college degrees:

Patricia Zeider: "Cultural Anthropology"

Cinthya Vieyra: "Psychology"

Rand DeCastro: "Interior Design"

Scott Schafer: "Sociology"

:lol:

Yes. Clearly the evil ones here are the banks.

"Kathy Rose, a retired schoolteacher who lives in Menlo Park, said that when she attended San Jose State University in the 1970s, paying for college was that simple.

"It used to be government loans, and they weren't in it to make a profit," she said. "They were there to help you get through college."

Rose borrowed $900 to finance her undergraduate education, half of which was paid off by the government because after graduating, she became a teacher in a low-income school district. With monthly payments of about $40, she said, she paid off her debt in about a year.

"It was a piece of cake. We never even thought about it."

Today the picture is quite different."

There is zero attention being paid to the skyrocketing cost of education.

When I graduated High School, I had a Regents scholarship for $200 per semester.

Tuition at all the SUNY colleges was... $200 per semester.

Kids that became teachers and earned a Masters Degree had a program where their loans were forgiven after a period of working in a NYS school.

Wonder what Rose would think if she were a student today and had to borrow $29,000 in tuition and fees to finance her undergraduate education. EDIT: Oops! My bad. She went to SJS as an out-of-state student! That's an important detail. The $29k mentioned above is just for In-State (and undocumented resident) students tuition and fees (no room/board, transportation, etc. included). The out-of-state student tuition and fees is $18,463 a year. Rose would have to have loans of over $73,000 to repay in today's scenario. That's if she lived in a tent in on a campus quad and stole food from the dumpsters outside the resident halls and used the library for all of her books.

Yes. Evil banks indeed!

This is analogous to what's happening with respect to health care costs.

Edited by Nanker

Rand DeCastro, a 36-year-old web designer from Guam who works at a startup in Palo Alto, is working to pay off the $148,000 he accumulated during a two-year art program at The Art Institute of Seattle. He now pays about $700 per month in loans, which does not include his currently deferred federal loans. He and his partner have gone back to school multiple times, partially to defer on their loans and to take a break from the never-ending debt.

And there you have it. We have created a society that instead of working their ass off to pay off the debt, or better yet save their ass off to not have any or very little debt, they keep racking up debt. And these loan deferrals are a ticking time bomb that are going to blow up in people's faces as well as the governments. The government it kissing people's asses to allow them to defer or greatly reduce their payments with the offer of forgiving the loan down the road. What a terrible idea unless you have a plan to pay the taxes when the loan is completely forgiven.

I have zero pity for these people. None!

Edited by Chef Jim

Here's an article about how students are "drowning" in student loan debt, and how they can't find decent jobs despite having their college degrees:

http://mv-voice.com/...rowning-in-debt

And here are the people profiled in the article, along with their college degrees:

Patricia Zeider: "Cultural Anthropology"

Cinthya Vieyra: "Psychology"

Rand DeCastro: "Interior Design"

Scott Schafer: "Sociology"

:lol:

You can get a college degree in Interior Design?

That's wrong on may different levels.

You can get a college degree in Interior Design?

That's wrong on may different levels.

Funny because my cousin has a degree in interior design. I burst out laughing because I was talking to him on the phone while reading this :lol:

Edited by meazza

Rand DeCastro, a 36-year-old web designer from Guam who works at a startup in Palo Alto, is working to pay off the $148,000 he accumulated during a two-year art program at The Art Institute of Seattle. He now pays about $700 per month in loans, which does not include his currently deferred federal loans. He and his partner have gone back to school multiple times, partially to defer on their loans and to take a break from the never-ending debt.

And there you have it. We have created a society that instead of working their ass off to pay off the debt, or better yet save their ass off to not have any or very little debt, they keep racking up debt. And these loan deferrals are a ticking time bomb that are going to blow up in people's faces as well as the governments. The government it kissing people's asses to allow them to defer or greatly reduce their payments with the offer of forgiving the loan down the road. What a terrible idea unless you have a plan to pay the taxes when the loan is completely forgiven.

What I want to know is how the hell he racked up 148 Large at a two year art institute? If I was a bettin' man, I'd wager Mr. DeCastro is financing other things through student loans.

I have pity for them because the system is set up with this as the only possible result. There's nothing worse than allowing an immature person to make decisions with tax payer money and zero consequence. Colleges have ratcheted up costs at a much higher rate than inflation without consequence and the government continues to allow obscene amounts of money to be borrowed without oversight.

The results are/were completely predictable.