WGR reports (trade colts browns)

tito1

I agree with pretty much every word of this post. The only thing the Browns will lose is the relative draft position of where they took Richardson and what the Indy pick ends up being.

It would be acceptable if Hoyer played worse than Weeden considering that the Browns are now playing for next season's draft position.

The only other things I'll add:

1) Richardson was picked by the previous regime of Holmgren and Tom Heckert. The selection raised many eyebrows when it was made. Imagine a passing game guru like Holmgren drafting a running back 3rd overall.

2) With the trade of a first rounder for Richardson and a second rounder for Vontae Davis, I'm officially very skeptical that the Colts know what the hell they're doing regarding team building.

edit:

Mark Ingram selected 28th overall.

Eddie Lacy selected 61st overall.

WTF were the Browns thinking burning the 3rd overall pick on Richardson?

They should feel lucky getting a first rounder for him.

I think the owner in Indy is sticking his nose in and telling them what to do. The new FO in Indy is very inexperienced. This looks like a desperation move to make sure they don't take a step back this year after they went to the playoffs lastyear, when in reality they kind of overachieved with an average at best defense and a young offense, a 1st year coach, then an interim coach, etc. He wants to make darn sure that he still looks good for getting rid of Polian & staff and Manning and moving on.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the owner in Indy is sticking his nose in and telling them what to do. The new FO in Indy is very inexperienced. This looks like a desperation move to make sure they don't take a step back this year after they went to the playoffs lastyear, when in reality they kind of overachieved with an average at best defense and a young offense, a 1st year coach, then an interim coach, etc. He wants to make darn sure that he still looks good for getting rid of Polian & staff and Manning and moving on.

must be an awful feeling, to have an owner that wants to win.

I agree wholeheartedly that part of the ingredients for this trade were a meddlesome owner and the desperation of trying to make sure the team doesn't backslide this year.

Really good points.

A lot of people are ripping the Browns for this trade, but really it makes me question the competence of Indy's FO. The Browns are just cleaning up a mess created by the previous regime. I don't know what Indy is doing. And wouldn't it be funny if Indy's pick--in a very strong draft--turns out to be a lot higher than anyone expects?

Feels like it. Apparently, he tweeted that a big trade was coming before it actually happened. Losing to Miami must have been quite a blow, because I remember sportscasters talking up a Luck/Tannehill rivalry.

I'm still shocked about the trade. It would be like us trading away Dareus under similar circumstances. Maybe he hasn't completely wowed us or been the gamebreaker we hoped but he's been a solid contributor and is in a system that is currently working and gambling that the new pick (which statistically is almost certain to be lower) will somehow be better.

I hate to say it, since I like Cleveland whenever we're not playing them or I've bet against them, but I think they're shooting for the #1 draft pick.

My take on this trade:

Bad in the short term for Browns and their fans (they'll stink this year) but sets them up nicely with a couple of high picks in 2014 to go get their QB. Selfishly, I'm liking that this weakens Cleveland in advance of our Thursday nighter next week.

For the Colts, I'm shaking my head. Richardson has injury issues and hasn't really shown he warranted such a high pick in the first place, nor that he's worth giving up another 1st rounder for. Why would the Colts be desperate right now? They have a young team -- this smacks of a move of a team that has a "last chance" to win the big one and wants to add the final piece for the stretch run.

Smart move by the browns to cut their losses and position themselves for the draft. Should be a bunch of good qbs in this draft (bridgewater, hundley, boyd, manziel)

Cut their losses? They traded one of the best young RBs in the league. One so good the NFL had to change the rules because of him.

This would be like trading Spiller in 2011 when you Fitzy on the roster.

Its not cutting your loses. Its amplifying your loses.

This seriously questions the integrity of the game.

My take on this trade:

Bad in the short term for Browns and their fans (they'll stink this year) but sets them up nicely with a couple of high picks in 2014 to go get their QB. Selfishly, I'm liking that this weakens Cleveland in advance of our Thursday nighter next week.

For the Colts, I'm shaking my head. Richardson has injury issues and hasn't really shown he warranted such a high pick in the first place, nor that he's worth giving up another 1st rounder for. Why would the Colts be desperate right now? They have a young team -- this smacks of a move of a team that has a "last chance" to win the big one and wants to add the final piece for the stretch run.

The colts just got a very good back that has had nearly 70% of his contract paid out in year one. Though the pick was a little steep, the contract is CHEAP. I don't know if that's overpaying or desperation really.

Cut their losses? They traded one of the best young RBs in the league. One so good the NFL had to change the rules because of him.

I agree with this take.

Sure the Browns will go out and get their QB of the future, but what is one thing a rookie QB can lean on? A good running game. Could they get a serviceable RB in the later rounds? Of course, but thats an awfully big risk.

I agree that this is absolutely like giving up on Spiller in 2011.

EDIT: Not to mention this could all blow up in the Browns faces. What if Manziel or Bridgwater don't come out? What if there isn't a clear cut franchise QB?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The colts just got a very good back that has had nearly 70% of his contract paid out in year one. Though the pick was a little steep, the contract is CHEAP. I don't know if that's overpaying or desperation really.

I did not know the specifics of the contract situation; just my initial reaction to the trade. While it makes a little more sense given those facts, I still think giving up a first rounder for TR borders on negligence.

And I do feel somewhat sorry for Browns fans. The "

" continues.

I did not know the specifics of the contract situation; just my initial reaction to the trade. While it makes a little more sense given those facts, I still think giving up a first rounder for TR borders on negligence.

" continues.

I live in Browns country, and their fans are just as deprived as ours, if not moreso since they certainly never went to a Superbowl in the modern era, let alone 4. Plus, their team up and left and then won a SB in Baltimore within a few short seasons.. And they had Belichik who they fired and went on to win 3 SBs. They feel cursed. The worst part of this for them is that although they may be able to look ahead as this is a good trade for the long-term, you are 2 weeks into the aeason and giving up on it. Football fans look forward to the season all year, here it is, and Boom. Wait til next year. Already. I can't imagine that feeling.

How do you figure he is one of the best young backs in the league? He averaged 3.6 YPC last year and is averaging only 3.4 this year. The current Browns regime, which has the opportunity to see him up close every day, obviously is not nearly as high on him as you are. And we are talking about a Running Back here. His loss will make little difference in how Cleveland fares this year.

" continues.

The reason you don't trade a pick for a vet is the financial cost that goes with it. Youd be giving away a cheap high end option for an expensive one. In this case Indy is giving up a cheap guy with first round potential next year for a cheaper one this year. Regardless of your feelings on first round rbs, I think negligent is a word that doesn't belong here.