Jimi Hendrix died 43 years ago today

The Poojer

Great post, Pooj.

The greatest guitar player ever, in my opinion.

To put his accomplishments into perspective a bit ... he died three years after his first studio album was released. Three years ... and he continues to influence the best living guitar players today.

RIP, Jimi.

I've often thought about where his music would have gone had he lived longer. People think "wow, he was so good at 27 how good would he have been at 47??" Not sure he would have gotten any better, probably just different. Look at great guitarist from that era that are still alive. Have they gotten "better" over the years? Eric Clapton for instance. He was called God in the 60's, but now? Sorry, to the powers that be, when can we please get a yawning emoticon? I hope he would have gotten away from the show crap like playing behind his back, with his teeth etc. That was just silly. I could see him getting more into the blues as the music got heavier in the 70's. But who knows. He was built for that era. The colorful outfits, the lingo, the acid. I just can't picture Jimmy today in front of an audience with grey hair, jeans, t-shirt, sneakers, and drinking a Starbucks.

I've often thought about where his music would have gone had he lived longer. People think "wow, he was so good at 27 how good would he have been at 47??" Not sure he would have gotten any better, probably just different. Look at great guitarist from that era that are still alive. Have they gotten "better" over the years? Eric Clapton for instance. He was called God in the 60's, but now? Sorry, to the powers that be, when can we please get a yawning emoticon? I hope he would have gotten away from the show crap like playing behind his back, with his teeth etc. That was just silly. I could see him getting more into the blues as the music got heavier in the 70's. But who knows. He was built for that era. The colorful outfits, the lingo, the acid. I just can't picture Jimmy today in front of an audience with grey hair, jeans, t-shirt, sneakers, and drinking a Starbucks.

It's pretty well-known that he had discussed playing with Miles Davis. That's the direction that I always dream of him having gone in - making music that we would still be trying to comprehend right now.

And he was definitely getting more into the blues.

What I think it might have meant is the blues becoming less of a heritage genre and one that had more years of life as a place of innovation in music. I also think he might have bridged the gap between soul / R&B / blues and rock and roll more, and inspired more black musicians to make rock music than have in our historical timeline.

And while I'm not very fair to Eric Clapton, I just can't put him on the same page at all.

I'll agree he seems to have been built for the era. Don't know if I agree that he wouldn't have gotten better.

Great post.

You do have to wonder if his legend is only enhanced simply because he was at a height of greatness when he died. He never had to suffer through a down period like many artists seem to go through. Thank goodness that he is not doing some Vegas stage show trying to live through the glory years with an aged audience pretending to believe they are young again. That crap might make some money but it is the equivalent of an entertainment outhouse.

It's pretty well-known that he had discussed playing with Miles Davis. That's the direction that I always dream of him having gone in - making music that we would still be trying to comprehend right now.

And he was definitely getting more into the blues.

What I think it might have meant is the blues becoming less of a heritage genre and one that had more years of life as a place of innovation in music. I also think he might have bridged the gap between soul / R&B / blues and rock and roll more, and inspired more black musicians to make rock music than have in our historical timeline.

And while I'm not very fair to Eric Clapton, I just can't put him on the same page at all.

I'll agree he seems to have been built for the era. Don't know if I agree that he wouldn't have gotten better.

Better is very subjective. I think if he went more bluesy it would have been better but would he have become a more technically sound guitarist? Well yeah, if he stopped playing with his teeth. :D

And when Prince first hit the scene in the 80's my first thought was "hmmm, I bet this is what Hendrix might be doing now."

Better is very subjective. I think if he went more bluesy it would have been better but would he have become a more technically sound guitarist? Well yeah, if he stopped playing with his teeth. :D

And when Prince first hit the scene in the 80's my first thought was "hmmm, I bet this is what Hendrix might be doing now."

So... he would have become even more amazing is what you mean. :D

Speculating what he may have been, or the kind of music he may have played, it kind of pointless, but I'll play.

I think he would have collaborated with lots of people. Kind of like when Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler worked together; or BB King and Eric Clapton.

I do not think he'd have gone down the Santana road with the radio-friendly stuff.

I do agree that blues would have been his main genre. Stevie Ray Vaughan made quite a nice living playing the blues - and playing a hell of a lot like Jimi Hendrix.

On the flip side ... John Mayer is another Hendrix-influenced guitar player and he has ridiculous skills. But he chose to make bubblegum crap music and make a ton of money; only to rip a few nice solos during live shows. I just don't see Hendrix doing that. (On a side note, I am hoping that this stage of Mayer's career is temporary and that he has many years of blues albums in his future. The guy can flat out play)

I think he would have simply solidified himself as the best guitar player to grace our planet if he'd lived this long.

Speculating what he may have been, or the kind of music he may have played, it kind of pointless, but I'll play.

I think he would have collaborated with lots of people. Kind of like when Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler worked together; or BB King and Eric Clapton.

I do not think he'd have gone down the Santana road with the radio-friendly stuff.

I do agree that blues would have been his main genre. Stevie Ray Vaughan made quite a nice living playing the blues - and playing a hell of a lot like Jimi Hendrix.

On the flip side ... John Mayer is another Hendrix-influenced guitar player and he has ridiculous skills. But he chose to make bubblegum crap music and make a ton of money; only to rip a few nice solos during live shows. I just don't see Hendrix doing that. (On a side note, I am hoping that this stage of Mayer's career is temporary and that he has many years of blues albums in his future. The guy can flat out play)

I think he would have simply solidified himself as the best guitar player to grace our planet if he'd lived this long.

And here's where music has gone to hell. In the 60's what Jimi was playing WAS radio-friendly.

So... he would have become even more amazing is what you mean. :D

And his outfits would have gone from trippy cool to faaabuuullloussss!!

And here's where music has gone to hell. In the 60's what Jimi was playing WAS radio-friendly.

And his outfits would have gone from trippy cool to faaabuuullloussss!!

True. But you know, game: blouses.

Also, John Mayer sucks. He is to Hendrix as is McDonald's to a fine, Chef-prepared dinner.

Since a nerve has been touched:

Jimi: "with the power of soul, anything is possible "

Mayer: "we're waiting on the world to change."

That is some of the weakest **** ever put to tape. I'm talking real "attention wal mart shoppers" ****.

If John Mayer did not exist, Guitar Center would have invented him. Jimi OTOH was a master and an original.

I do not agree with this at all SRV had his own style.

I'm the biggest SRV fan I know. He is #2 on my "best ever" list. I agree he had his own style and his own sound. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, believe me. But saying SRV played a lot like Hendrix is 100% accurate.

Since a nerve has been touched:

Jimi: "with the power of soul, anything is possible "

Mayer: "we're waiting on the world to change."

That is some of the weakest **** ever put to tape. I'm talking real "attention wal mart shoppers" ****.

If John Mayer did not exist, Guitar Center would have invented him. Jimi OTOH was a master and an original.

Agree that most of his music is terrible and acknowledged that it's bubblegum... But watch this entire video. He doesn't suck.