A Question about the Squib Kick at the End of the Game

ChevyVanMiller

If a player gives himself up the play is over. But...that kick should have been a lot deeper.

this---^

I'm thinking if it was our normal kicker we would have booted it down on a squib to about the 20ish. The fact that Carpenter didn't get it down far enough to be effective.

The other advantage to the squib is that your hoping the receiving team can't field the kick and touch it but can't secure it. At this point the clock starts and by the time he gets control of the ball it's too late to down.

As it stands, the big blocking type of players up front dont have the hands that the normal receivers do on kick returns.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this---^

I'm thinking if it was our normal kicker we would have booted it down on a squib to about the 20ish. The fact that Carpenter didn't get it down far enough to be effective.

The other advantage to the squib is that your hoping the receiving team can't field the kick and touch it but can't secure it. At this point the clock starts and by the time he gets control of the ball it's too late to down.

As it stands, the big blocking type of players up front dont have the hands that the normal receivers do on kick returns.

So then the call comes down to a subjective interpretation of whether the ball was fielded cleanly??

Seems harsh.

Now that's funny.

I assume someone covered this but didn't want to read the thread. My recollection of the rules is:

-The clock doesn't start on a KO in the last two minutes until it touches a memeber of the receiving team.

-A kickoff can be fair caught/downed by the receiving team just like a punt. In fact, the receiving team has the option to try a free kick FG from that spot (as Bills fans should know since the last time it was done successfully was against the Bills).

Therefore, it's possible for a KO to take no time off the clock.

Yeah, I would have preferred that he kick it to around the 20 yard line. Having said that, that's exactly what we did in the Music City Miracle ...

Actually, the best thing to do is simply kick it out of the end zone if your kicker has the leg.

Had Hopkins been playing, they'd probably have had him do a regular KO into and through the endzone. With Carpenter, they couldn't trust him to they had him squib it.

I don't mind the squib w/ all the factors mentioned above. Likely the Carolina player drops it, time is out. Or, they have to try a Hail Mary, which has a low chance of success. Would have liked the squib to go further, or bounce more (greater chance of mishandling).

Squibs generally don't make it very far.

Squibs routinely make it farther than Carpenter's attempt, that's for sure. It helps when you don't kick it right at somebody.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I was at the game and couldn't believe that the Panthers could field the squib kick before 2 seconds expired. It appeared that the fielding player got the ball and immediately took a knee in the field of play (I had no idea you could do that).

I thought that the play could only be blown dead once a Bills' player touched him down.

The result was that Carolina had a shot from a point on the field where their QB could reach the endzone. (Thankfully, Kiko ended that threat with a huge sack). So, I assume that means that in a similar situation teams should not squib.

Also, the Bills ST coach should have known about this rule, don't you think?

Yeah the clock only starts on a return, you can fair catch or kneel and the clock will not run. The idea was obviously to run out the clock, and it was a smart play/good coaching by the defender. My only issue with that play is that it was simply a poor squibb kick. It should have been harder. I think you'd ideally want a defender to field it around the 25-30, that way they either return it (by a blocker), or are out of hail mary range. I do believe it was the right call though. Carpenter hasn't been getting touch backs and you don't want to have to defend a return. Kicking out it out of bounds is simply asinine, as it guarantees hail mary field position, and it guarantees that time will be remaining on the clock.

One other thing to note...This call was absolutely made by Marrone, no way he is letting his ST coach decide what play get's run in this situation.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Give credit to Carolina's special team for knowing the rules. These situations are why you need a guy who can get it through the back of the end zone.

I heard Stevie was on the field playing as a DB for that last play. I wonder if that is because we don't have enough DB's due to all the injuries or just because Stevie is good at tracking and high-pointing balls in the air.

Give credit to Carolina's special team for knowing the rules. These situations are why you need a guy who can get it through the back of the end zone.

I heard Stevie was on the field playing as a DB for that last play. I wonder if that is because we don't have enough DB's due to all the injuries or just because Stevie is good at tracking and high-pointing balls in the air.

I thought it was common to bring WRs in to defend the Hail Mary. I could be mistaken. Having Fitz for so many years, a Hail Mary for him was a screen pass to CJ.

I thought it was common to bring WRs in to defend the Hail Mary. I could be mistaken. Having Fitz for so many years, a Hail Mary for him was a screen pass to CJ.

It is indeed common. The Bills used Moulds a few times to defend hail mary's back in his day.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think that's fairly common. WRs are usually tall and can jump; the two key skills required to defend a Hail Mary.

Did not want Ginn to field the ball or have one of the up men begin a lateral dance of death. They were well coached to take a knee IMMEDIATELY. Play does not resume until the receiving team puts the ball in play after the catch. No time was run off the clock.