5 sacks by the D-line

Jerry Jabber

I'm sure there are plenty of people that remember the thread I started about the D-line only getting 1 sack last week. I was very critical of the D-line and the defense in general last week, but this week is a different story as today I finally saw the D-line that I was expecting to see since last year. Mario had a monster game with 4.5 sacks, and nearly had another 1/2 (or full sack) with Kyle Williams, but I have to give credit to Cam Newton on that for taking a hit and staying on his feet. I also saw Dareus in on 2 of Mario's sacks. Kyle Williams had a good game with getting in the backfield, disrupting some run plays, and tipping a pass. I was glad to see Pettine bring a ton of pressure on the last play of the game which led to a sack by Alonso. Last week, Brady didn't have to throw it deep, but this week we saw Newton air it out a bunch of times. IMO, if Gilmore and Byrd were healthy, I feel either one of them could have prevented the TD to Ginn and maybe an INT on some of the deep passes. I also have to give credit to McKelvin as that was the best game I saw him play in a Bills uniform.

I was very impressed with the D today. It is amazing to think with Gilmore and Byrd in the lineup they get even better.

I agree. I think with those two back in the lineup, it will make the QB stay in the pocket a little longer than he wants to, which could led to more pressure from our guys up front. Let's hope they can keep it up!

The Bills sacked the Panthers six times.

I know, 5 by the D-line and 1 by Alonso.

It was a great day by the D but lets keep things in perspective as the Panthers O-line is terrible

I agree. I knocked the Bills D-line heavily last week, so I'm giving them credit this week for a great performance. They have to be able to do this consistently, week in and week out.

Cam Newton is not Tom Brady. While I hope the line continues to produce I think the QB they were chasing has something to do with it. They should get to Geno Smith 7-8 times especially if we can get out to a lead and force them to throw. The only thing that will limit the sacks is if the D picks off Smith early in their drives...

Cam Newton is not Tom Brady. While I hope the line continues to produce I think the QB they were chasing has something to do with it. They should get to Geno Smith 7-8 times especially if we can get out to a lead and force them to throw. The only thing that will limit the sacks is if the D picks off Smith early in their drives...

Now there is the truth. :lol:

And yet we gave up 23 points in both games...

Not sure if your post last week, was really warranted, considering all the hits we got on QB, just Brady was smart enough to get rid of the ball.

I give credit where credit is due, the Bills got to Newton a lot yesterday. Newton aired the ball out a lot yesterday for deep passes, so I feel if Gilmore & Byrd would have played, then the Panthers wouldn't have scored 23 points (might of had a couple more INT's). Also, you question if my post was warranted? Well, if you ask Mike Pettine, he didn't sound too happy about the game either "“I've been in this league long enough,” Pettine said. “It's a bottom-line business. As bad as the Patriots have played, they're 2-0 and they're 2-0 in the division. We're 0-1 with a division loss, and whether it was by 40 or by one, it's a loss. There's no moral victories.” http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/bills-defense-must-raise-its-standards-20130915?two-bills-drive

And yet we gave up 23 points in both games...

Not sure if your post last week, was really warranted, considering all the hits we got on QB, just Brady was smart enough to get rid of the ball.

The key is that our offense needs to produce more (heh 24 average would do it). The downside to the no huddle things besides having wear and tear on the D is that the opposing team gets more drives since more time remains on the clock so scores are bound to go up a little bit. Would we run a huddle offense the D would most likely have given up around 4 points less on average.

The philosophy for the offense is meant to be very similar to that of the D, dictate, we've seen flashes of it but not enough as of yet imho.

Edited by bladiebla

i know they are saying that Mario set a team record with 4.5 sacks today, but I thought Biscuit had 5 sacks in a game back in like 89? does anybody else remember this?

"Bills DE Mario Williams had a career day yesterday in the team’s win over the Carolina Panthers. Williams set a franchise record and personal high with 4.5 sacks in the game while also tallying five tackles. The previous record was 4.0, held by Cornelius Bennett (12/27/87 at Philadelphia) and Bruce Smith (12/9/90 at Houston)."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header