The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

"Built-in defects"? :o

Yep, that's pretty common in government IT projects. My current project has "built-in structural defects."

That usually means someone who wouldn't know an Etch-a-Sketch from an iPad made a really boneheaded decision early on that became a "requirement" that couldn't be challenged by anyone with actual IT knowledge.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obamacare: The New Vietnam

by Jeffery Lord.

Interesting article. Not even two days past the re-opening of the federal government and already you see the stories flooding the media intertubes about the countless failures of Obamacare.

Most notably, we're reading how absolutely bad the website is...not just for people who can't access it, but the backend code and hardware in particular. Reports are that the company is about 10 year behind the times, with troubleshooting tips like "clear your cookies." They simply will not be able to fix this any time in the near future, and that will only be made worse by the MO of the current administration: band-aid everything until the next election passes.

Before long it will dawn on people that they are being forced and threatened to pay a fine if they don't buy a product from a store that can not stay open. Even the stupid people will figure this out.

Yep, that's pretty common in government IT projects. My current project has "built-in structural defects."

That usually means someone who wouldn't know an Etch-a-Sketch from an iPad made a really boneheaded decision early on that became a "requirement" that couldn't be challenged by anyone with actual IT knowledge.

Am I correct in assuming that the primary distinction between IT and Government IT is that Government IT takes 6-8 weeks to tell you to restart your computer?

Edited by Jauronimo

EDIT: Here is an article on the article from USA Today about just how bad this site is.

The federal health care exchange was built using 10-year-old technology that may require constant fixes and updates for the next six months and the eventual overhaul of the entire system, technology experts told USA TODAY....Recent changes have made the exchanges easier to use, but they still require clearing the computer's cache several times, stopping a pop-up blocker, talking to people via Web chat who suggest waiting until the server is not busy, opening links in new windows and clicking on every available possibility on a page in the hopes of not receiving an error message. With those changes, it took one hour to navigate the HealthCare.gov enrollment process Wednesday. Those steps shouldn't be necessary, experts said..."The application could be fundamentally flawed," said Jeff Kim, president of CDNetworks, a content-delivery network. "They may be using 1990s technology in 2.0 world." Outsiders acknowledged they can't see the whole system, but they said they feared HHS built a system that will need an expensive overhaul that would cause more headaches for people trying to buy insurance.

This is what happens when you send a duck to eagle school.

"Built-in defects"? :o

Designed to fail, so they can save us again!!!

The thrill is gone...........................

WaPo: Traffic plunges 88% at Healthcare.gov since launch.

So, basically, ObamaCare’s appeal is becoming more selective.

As Good as It Gets? ObamaCare supporters go through the stages of grief. .............Read the whole thing, which is too good to excerpt.

"There's no denying Republicans have had a horrendous couple of weeks.

While it looks bad now, as the ACA implodes the republicans can say "remember we tried to stop it"

Am I correct in assuming that the primary distinction between IT and Government IT is that Government IT takes 6-8 weeks to tell you to restart your computer?

No. That's a secondary effect of the real primary distinction: in government IT, you have to fill out a six page CR, get three managers and your COR to sign them, then get approval from both the ERB and CCB before you can restart your computer. And all that **** takes eight weeks.

(Yes, that's a little hyperbolic. But not nearly as much as you'd think.)

So we can look forward to Obamacare stories dropping off the MSM radar quickly as they pick up on the new cause de celeb and thrash Republicans with it repeatedly. That should last through the holidays which is enough time to queue up the next shutdown and debt ceiling crisis which should last till the end of February.

After that, then what? Maybe Hillary's campaign gets started.

After that, then what? Maybe Hillary's campaign gets started.

You can count on Hillary adding to the Obama incompetency narrative. His poll numbers will be Bush-like by then, and she'll have no choice but to distance herself as someone who is nowhere near as thin-skinned, childish and incompetent as the current tool.

My kind of article here: syndicated cartoonist tries to sign up for ACA, and gets his answer.

“Error 500: org.opensaml.common.SAMLRuntimeException: Error determining metadata contracts.”

“Most of the 15 exchanges run by states and the District of Columbia do not have provider directories or search tools on their Web sites — at least not yet — so customers cannot easily check which doctors and hospitals are included in a particular plan’s network. Most allow customers to search for providers by linking to the insurers’ Web sites, but the information is not always accurate or easy to navigate, health care experts say.”

Well, let’s see for ourselves, shall we?

Take that, Tea Party Patriots!

The last time I slogged through this process, I wasn’t able to find out whether I’d qualify for a subsidy. So I’m on tenderhooks. Am I poor enough, have enough newspapers canceled me, slashed my fee and/or kept me at the same rate for years as inflation ate away my standard of living to score a break on Obama’s for-profit healthcare mandate?

I click the tab marked “financial assistance.” Fortunately, all the information I spent hours typing in a week and a half ago is still there. Inexplicably, however, I have to scroll through each page, individually re-approving them. There are 28 of them in all. Terrible design. What is this, iOS7?

The little wheel turns. And turns. Is it working? Yes! I get a message:

“You and your family cannot pick a health plan right now. You will get a letter or an email telling you when to log onto your Marketplace account to pick a health plan. Call 1-855-355-5777 to find out how to pick your plan if the Marketplace has not contacted you by the middle of December 2013.”

You can count on Hillary adding to the Obama incompetency narrative. His poll numbers will be Bush-like by then, and she'll have no choice but to distance herself as someone who is nowhere near as thin-skinned, childish and incompetent as the current tool.

"What difference does it make?" (Said in the shrillest of voices.)

Why is the Federal Program so !@#$ed up, but the State Program here in CO seems to be humming along fine? My hope it they get un!@#$ed, fire some people and make good on the ACA exchanges... but I wouldn't mind if more of the power of this was deferred to States who wanted to take it an run... as long as my State has HCR, I am good.