The No-Huddle Trend and Injuries

Prickly Pete

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but with teams running so many more plays, aren't the injuries/wear and tear going to mount up by the end of the season?

Would it push the League to consider expanding rosters sometime soon?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I knew this subject would come soon, when EJ got hurt but I didn't want to post it because I don't know if it will be or is true.

The roster part, I wish the league would just make it 60 already, since they will eventually if they ever do go to 18 games. Every team has issues every season the owners are cheap though and don't want to pay extra guys.... just look at the ref lockout last year.

Edited by bowery4

Think the more relevant question is how much of the injuries are caused by PEDs?

I see estimates of between 10-50% of the league taking HGH.Guys carrying way more weight than their bodies are designed for, and i think it contrbutes greatly to things like torn pecs, torn biceps etc that we never saw even 10-15 years ago.

Always cracks me up when these guys lose 70lbs as soon as they retire...but no, not taking any juice!

Think the more relevant question is how much of the injuries are caused by PEDs?

I see estimates of between 10-50% of the league taking HGH.Guys carrying way more weight than their bodies are designed for, and i think it contrbutes greatly to things like torn pecs, torn biceps etc that we never saw even 10-15 years ago.

Always cracks me up when these guys lose 70lbs as soon as they retire...but no, not taking any juice!

My understanding is that HGH actually heals small muscle tears, which is partly (but not only) why players take it. It's actually medicinal, which is one reason (again, not the only one) players don't want testing for it. It's also my understanding that steroids, on the other hand, do contribute to the sorts of problems you discuss above.

Edited by dave mcbride

Excellent point.

And I was saying the same thing when Bruschi got his award at halftime. He is half as big as he used to be.

It stands to reason that if you run ~25% more plays, then all else being equal, you'll have 25% more injuries.

Unfortunately, injuries are often a more than 1 game thing, so although you're also subjecting your opponents (for that game) to the same added risk, over the season, we will have more injuries which will be a competitive disadvantage.

Now, does it outweigh our supposed advantage of keeping the tempo up? That's the question.

It stands to reason that if you run ~25% more plays, then all else being equal, you'll have 25% more injuries.

Unfortunately, injuries are often a more than 1 game thing, so although you're also subjecting your opponents (for that game) to the same added risk, over the season, we will have more injuries which will be a competitive disadvantage.

Now, does it outweigh our supposed advantage of keeping the tempo up? That's the question.

Yep.

By the end of this season, I'm expecting the offense to be really beat up, and if they were to make the playoffs(haha) it could be a real problem.

I agree with that, but it's really a different topic...

http://www.inreview.com/archive/topic/14556.html

"Football players were struck in the head 30 to 50 times per game and regularly endured blows similar to those experienced in car crashes, according to a Virginia Tech study that fitted players' helmets with the same kinds of sensors that trigger auto air bags."

Up-tempo offense/more plays? Maybe that 30-50 number jumps up to 40-60, or 50-70 times a game.

http://www.inreview....opic/14556.html

"Football players were struck in the head 30 to 50 times per game and regularly endured blows similar to those experienced in car crashes, according to a Virginia Tech study that fitted players' helmets with the same kinds of sensors that trigger auto air bags."

Up-tempo offense/more plays? Maybe that 30-50 number jumps up to 40-60, or 50-70 times a game.

Hadn't even thought about the blows to the head.

At the least, shortening of careers seems pretty likely.

My understanding is that HGH actually heals small muscle tears, which is partly (but not only) why players take it. It's actually medicinal, which is one reason (again, not the only one) players don't want testing for it. It's also my understanding that steroids, on the other hand, do contribute to the sorts of problems you discuss above.

Yes HGH helps heal much faster and promotes new muscle cell growth versus other things that simply grow muscle cells you already have.

It also significantly raises IGF-1 levels which causes the body to build muscle more readily. This is what they need to test for, elevated IGF-1 levels and not HGH since that only lasts under 24 hours

I know this because I am big time into weights and read up on lots of things plus am on boards where people talk about HGH, steroids, peptides and SARMs regularly...

Edited by matter2003

Yes HGH helps heal much faster and promotes new muscle cell growth versus other things that simply grow muscle cells you already have.

It also significantly raises IGF-1 levels which causes the body to build muscle more readily. This is what they need to test for, elevated IGF-1 levels and not HGH since that only lasts under 24 hours

I know this because I am big time into weights and read up on lots of things plus am on boards where people talk about HGH, steroids, peptides and SARMs regularly...

Tell us all about it.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but with teams running so many more plays, aren't the injuries/wear and tear going to mount up by the end of the season?

Would it push the League to consider expanding rosters sometime soon?

It might.

Yep, testing for IGF-1 and P3NP, as was done at the 2012 Summer Olympics.

The problem is, there's a normal human variance in levels of all naturally occuring growth factors and hormones. What's elevated and what's the 99% upper edge of the normal distribution?

There are work-arounds - the concept of "biomarker profiling" each athlete then looking for changes against that athlete's individual profile. But how does that profile normally change under different stress events, a cracked rib, a stress fracture? There is evidence the test is robust to that, but there are some legit questions that really call for studies on athletes. Now everyone just step up and volunteer, under penalty of being labeled a druggie cheater and mired in controversy if something hinky is found :rolleyes:

You're right that the isoform test (looking for ratios of isoforms of HGH) can only detect synthetic HGH administration a short period of time

Not really. But a better question is, "With teams running so many more plays, aren't the injuries/wear and tear going to mount up by the end of the season?"

Not a better question - it's just the one you wanted to discuss when you started the thread.

Welcome to Thread Drift. It occurs on every bulletin board. Deal.

IMO a better question might be, has anyone looked at the number of injuries occuring on Turf vs Natural Grass, and if the difference is as stark as many seem to believe, why isn't the NFL players union pushing for all-grass?

Am I crazy to not care if nfl players take hgh? I mean, i assume over half of them do already ...

The argument against any PED is that if its use is legitimate and condoned, it will force all players to take it in order to compete.

Kinda like Lance Armstrong and the other lead teams of his era did to the pro cycling tour - "drug up or go home".

All of these drugs have undesireable side effects, all of them - some unknown as of yet for long-term athletic use, since (for example) HGH was intended to treat growth hormone deficiency and clinical trials looking for side effects were conducted for that purpose, not for the purpose of raising normal levels in pro athletes to accelerate healing.

Edited by Hopeful