SF Real Estate is Insane!

Chef Jim

Here is a listing of a house posted on SFgate.com (the SF Chronicle's website).

http://www.redfin.co...10/home/1213734

Now here is it on google maps (look at the street view) of what it looked like before the flip. They paid $735k a year ago. My issue is if that place looked that bad there have to be others in the 'hood that are just as bad. However this could be yours for a measly $1.7m. Oh BTW this was posted on SFgate.com today and it's sold already.

http://goo.gl/maps/TsSHL

Lets say they put $500K to $600K into the place. They are into it for 1.4, Not a bad profit for a years effort. Go to 77anderson.com to see the inside.

Oh they made some serious profit on it. And the $1.4mil (if that's even what they were out of pocket) probably was done in cash. That's the MO here and most places now.

Oh and you'd think for $1.7m they'd have at least put of a decent fence and some better landscaping in back. Looks like ****.

I don't think atheletes making serious coin are going to want to play in the Bay Area. Taxes are too high!

;-)

Have you compared property taxes in CA to what they are in NY?

Edited by Chef Jim

I can't speak to the quality of the neighborhood, but assuming it's nice, the price doesn't seem that outragous to me for a house right in the city. Great views, close to the park, etc. I don't begrude builders making their margins; it's hard work and not everyone is good at it.

Personally I'd prefer to spend $1.7MM to get 10X the land and double the sf out in the 'burbs, but I get the appeal of city living too. I'd probably be doing it if I didn't have kids.

Is that because it's considered a farm house?

I live in the country. I still have to pay fire taxes, and such. Altogether it comes to like $900.

The farm itself, I forget, but Ag is the second lowest tier in most states. Forestry is lowest, but recent crackdowns have been catching people with wooded lots claiming them as forestry. You need a forestry management plan and actively maintain a healthy forest. And once caught you often get changed without notice to light industrial...its on you to have it changed.

Well first off you'll never find a place here for $200k but taxes would be about $2000. Our taxes on our $500k is about $7000.

That is what I figured. Here, houses are dirt cheap. 1/2 what they go elsewhere. Houses are cheap like BFLO and taxes through the roof! My house would be double if I moved it from the south of the Chicagoland area to north Chicagoland.

Where is here? What kind of house will you get for $550k

Here, south of Chicago/NW Indiana... A mansion with 5 acres and a pole barn w/stables. If you are Ann Romney, you can keep your horse there! And since you are out in the country, unincorporated... Taxes would only be 2 or 3 grand... My estimation of course.

:-P

Where is here? What kind of house will you get for $550k

For the central NY area, about the same in taxes as Nanker stated (I selected single family, between $500K and $600K)....

http://realestate.syracuse.com/?classification=real+estate&temp_type=browse&finder=buy&ad_type=residential-listing%2Cvacation-listing%2Cnew-homes-listing&tp=RE_syr&property=syracuse.com&adpricemin=500000&adpricemax=600000&feature_includes_property_type=single+family

Oh I knew what they were in NY. I was just wondering where Nanker was from.

Here in Henrico(Richmond) it is .87 per $100.

Had dinner with friends the other night in NYC. They bought a condo in Harlem bout 5 years ago before completely gentrified, paid $550/sq ft, going now for about $1,000/sq st.

They said mid town or Chelsea now at $ 1400 sq ft.Wowser, $1.4M for a 1000 ft condo.