BFLO/WNY Question: Chestnut Ridge View

ExiledInIllinois

http://goo.gl/maps/S1IlW

"A" dot is the field house/stadium, Chestnut Ridge is just south east of it. Depew or Lancaster maybe?

No... I was thinking I was way, way off... It is far on the horizon as Niagara Falls. If you look in the picture above, you will see NF way to the upper left... right at the horizon... Rectangle building... If that picture was extended another 30-60* east (right)... On a clear day you would see a city with skycrapers! Really far off on the horizon BUT noticable... It has gotta be Rochester! I am floored that you can see it (well sometimes).

Depew/Lancaster is too close and doesn't have skyscrapers...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... I was thinking I was way, way off... It is far on the horizon as Niagara Falls. If you look in the picture above, you will see NF way to the upper left... right at the horizon... Rectangle building... If that picture was extended another 30-60* east (right)... On a clear day you would see a city with skycrapers! Really far off on the horizon BUT noticable... It has gotta be Rochester! I am floored that you can see it (well sometimes).

Depew/Lancaster is too close and doesn't have skyscrapers...

I don't think you saw Rochester unaided, that's around 80 miles. Normal view with the unaided eye is between 10-15 miles. You can get more if you're at a higher elevation looking down, but you'd have to be on a mountain in Orchard Park to see Rochester.

I don't think you saw Rochester unaided, that's around 80 miles. Normal view with the unaided eye is between 10-15 miles. You can get more if you're at a higher elevation looking down, but you'd have to be on a mountain in Orchard Park to see Rochester.

NF is about 18 or 20 from CR measuring with the google map that is linked here.

Bad news... My son dumped those two pictures I had! I am pissed... I have been scouring online and nothing shows the view to the east!

Oh well, @ least bbb seen what I saw! It had to be a rare clear day! Was a lot clearer than the pic I posted on page one

:censored:

He's 15 and a storage miser! Thinks it is 1993 or something! WTF!!

Don't worry Exilled. If I remember in the next few weeks ill try and get out there and take a pick. I'm out of work for the next month so I've got plenty of time. It's just a matter of getting my car fixed while I'm out.

Thanks! It was such a pretty picture... I am surprised there isn't a panorama shot online... From 180* from The lake on east!

No, post it here, because now I want to see!

Yeah post it here if you can. Also PM me when you get it, if you don't mind... I can give you my email. I was thinking what Jack said. Rochester is 80 miles away... But Chestnut Ridge is really perched up and the rest of WNY geography is all down hill from the Boston Hills north towards Lake Ontario. Looking out you can see mist and the building out in Niagara Falls. I would think the tall buildings of Rochester would be visable @ the horizon... It is @ the same line horizon line as NF. Looking out, NF would be @ 11 o'clock and Rochester (or group of skyscrapers/buildings) @ just past 2 o'clock. What other group of buildings can be that far off? Again, I am shocked that somebody hasn't shot a panorama of this standing @ that vantage point @ Chestnut Ridge... Maybe on top of the toboggan chutes to get even more height. Even here in Illinois as flat as it is... Just feet up, on a high road, you can see Sears Tower plan as day from 40 miles out. Gotta stand @ the right height to clear obstructions though. Overpass on the highway is high enough.

Looking @ that picture I posted on page 1 is pretty cool... You can see the OLV Basilica just peaking out past and to the Right of The Ralph...

Oh, mrags, speaking of the eternal flame and the gas deposit... Father Baker/OLV Basilica sits on the same supply of natural gas. They supply all their own gas energy having dug that well when they were building... They were gonna quit drilling but he (Father Baker) urged them to keep drilling, even praying on it till they fianlly struck gas! LoL...

Looking @ that picture I posted on page 1 is pretty cool... You can see the OLV Basilica just peaking out past and to the Right of The Ralph...

Oh, mrags, speaking of the eternal flame and the gas deposit... Father Baker/OLV Basilica sits on the same supply of natural gas. They supply all their own gas energy having dug that well when they were building... They were gonna quit drilling but he (Father Baker) urged them to keep drilling, even praying on it till they fianlly struck gas! LoL...

thats crazy

mrags... Speaking of the Father Baker thing and striking natural gas to supply the heat @ the Basilica. What do you think the vertical rise in elevation is from say Lackawanna @ OLV to where the eternal flame is @ Chestnut Ridge Park? You have been there many times. The sledding hill has to be about 100 or so vertical feet? Father Baker probably had God working for him as his lead geologist! ;-) I think they started drilling @ The Basilica and were gonna give up (I think it was in 1930's or so)! Baker ordered them to keep drilling deeper and prayed a little harder... I think they struck gas @ about 900+ feet or so! Which was pretty deep back in the day and w/old methods?? Just from my untrained eye, that puts the formation just about right where Chestnut Ridge faulted up and eroded away?? Eternal flame trail...

Very interesting story about Father Baker... I think they still produce natural gas till this day? They may even sell it off. I have to look more into that story... Pretty crazy cool! The dude did have special gifts in many disciplines! Pushing sainthood!

They still do get the gas from there........The story goes that Father Baker said "Drill here" in some spot and that's where they found it.

LoL... Awesome! I don't think that they had horizontal drilling practices in that day! :D

Yeah. I heard that they didn't find it right away and he had them keep drilling?? Not sure how true that is?? BUT it makes sense if he had his wits about him and the information on the geological make-up of the area. I forget the story on his family and what not... I wonder how he knew! I guess go deep enough and you will hit it! Of course w/a little help from Baby Jesus! ;)