Terrible Playoff Game - Steelers vs. Jets

Mark VI

Steelers Defense impressed me at times. Both Coaches were terrible in the playcalling dept. It almost seemed like the Steelers won because someone had to.

Pats-Colts victor should feel confident going to Pittsburgh. I see another Cowher choke on the horizon. He should send gifts to Doug Brien.

Steelers Defense impressed me at times. Both Coaches were terrible in the playcalling dept. It almost seemed like the Steelers won because someone had to.

Pats-Colts victor should feel confident going to Pittsburgh. I see another Cowher choke on the horizon. He should send gifts to Doug Brien.

206756[/snapback]

We are seeing the effects of a league full of Marty's disciples. Cowher should have lost this game, as he has so many times on his homefield. If they blow homefield again THIS year, with a 16-1 record, he may have surpassed the master. For all the a-holes who were patting the Steelers on the back for beating the Bills with backups, perhaps this was a refresher on what can happen to a 15-1 team when they are playing tight as the Bills were that day.

Fortunately for Cowher, he had former KC staff-mate Herm Edwards across the sideline from him. As was the case last week in San Diego, somebody had to lose. Still, it was a helluva lot better played game than the SD game, which was awful, yet somehow was being hailed as a great game. This game basically came down to Roethlisberger turning the ball over and Doink Brien being unable to kick it thru the sticks. Generally good running game and defense for both teams.

We are seeing the effects of a league full of Marty's disciples.  Cowher should have lost this game, as he has so many times on his homefield.  If they blow homefield again THIS year, with a 16-1 record,  he may have surpassed the master.  For all the a-holes who were patting the Steelers on the back for beating the Bills with backups, perhaps this was a refresher on what can happen to a 15-1 team when they are playing tight as the Bills were that day. 

Fortunately for Cowher, he had former KC staff-mate Herm Edwards across the sideline from him. As was the case last week in San Diego, somebody had to lose.  Still, it was a helluva lot better played game than the SD game, which was awful, yet somehow was being hailed as a great game.  This game basically came down to Roethlisberger turning the ball over and Doink Brien being unable to kick it thru the sticks.  Generally good running game and defense for both teams.

206867[/snapback]

Ben R. has 2 brusing RB's to use. So Cowher decides to basically bench Duece Staley for 3/4th's of the game and ask Ben R. to throw 10-12 times more than he should. Sharp. :rolleyes: No Mularkey to blame.

Cowher does indeed become gutless in the post season, ala Marty Schott, Chuck Knox etc. Using his Asst. Coaches as scapegoats has run it's course. It's him. The League is full of these Coaches who can achieve the post season and then forget what got them there.

Nothing like watching teams play scared in the playoffs. At least Jim Mora Jr. is trying. He learned, watching his father play scared.

Big Ben looked like a meteocre quarterback in this one..he threw it right to Reggie Tounge!! take away the steelers running game..then let's see if Ben can take control of a game..

206875[/snapback]

He looked mediocre too. Is Reggie related to Marco Tongue? Similar last names I guess :rolleyes:

Oh well, a partial elipsis is probably worth more of a pause than a common comma. :(

He looked mediocre too. Is Reggie related to Marco Tongue? Similar last names I guess :rolleyes:

Oh well, a partial elipsis is probably worth more of a pause than a common comma. ;)

elipsis? Is that like 'meteocre'? :(

elipsis? Is that like 'meteocre'? :rolleyes:

206976[/snapback]

Precisely! I feel so silly! :(

If I spelled everything write, know won wood no, accept maybe Tom or Sue. Butt their knot posting hear on this bored know. Probably there two tried too type. Maybe letter they will be hear. Than we can half a ruling on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and malaprops to. ;)

Precisely! I feel so silly! :(

If I spelled everything write, know won wood no, accept maybe Tom or Sue. Butt their knot posting hear on this bored know. Probably there two tried too type. Maybe letter they will be hear. Than we can half a ruling on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and malaprops to.   ;)

Ha! :P

I no zackly wot ur torkn bout! My gramma aint awaaze two gud eeder! ;)

(But she izza nyce ol'ladee) :rolleyes:

Another Cowher choke. So what are you calling Marv's coaching job through 4 SB's. You are an a$$. 5 championship games. How many have the Bills been to since their SB run. IDIOT.

206979[/snapback]

They lost 3 of those AFC Championships on their homefield to underdog opponents. The one they did win was against the Colts, a game that they choked in but were fortunate when Quentin Coryatt dropped an easy pic allowing Pitt to get the late go ahead score and then when Harbaugh's last second pass into the endzone was dropped by an inexplicably open receiver. They also had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs after the 1992 season and got flattened 24-3 by Buffalo.

Essentially, he has blown homefield advantage 4 of 5 times and narowly escaped defeat the other time. If Doink Brien were a good kicker, we would be talking about Cowher having blown it a fifth time this morning.

How can that be called anything other than choking?

Those Steeler teams were almost unbeatable at home during the season. This isn't about Marv, we all know that the Bills didn't take care of business at the Super Bowl, and he was favored in SB XXV and blew it. He wasn't on the level with guys like Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs. But Marv was 9-1 at home in the playoffs, never blew homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, and was 4-1 in championship games. Forgive us for being incredulous at Cowher's uncanny ability to underachieve in the playoffs.

What surprised me the most yesterday was how the Jets felt they didn't need to do anything more when it came to their second field goal attempt to win the game. They had plenty of time...plenty of time outs...why in the name of God would you not try to get another five yards? Christ, you have Curtis Martin...who was having a decent game. Get more yards. Get closer.

I was also surprised at how pathetic some of Hackett's plays were...particularly in the one series in the first half where Pennington had a pump-n-go, but when he realized he couldn't go, he had nowhere else to go at all. They were moving the ball well, and suddenly two sacks and a run for a loss.

I'd be surprised to see Hacket hang around with them during the offseason.

I loved that Jet kneel down prior to the missed FG. Not only does Chad not move the ball to the middle of the field, but he loses 2 more yards to lengthen the FG try. I'm sure that the kicker appreciated that one.

One good call was Cowher calling a timeout with 2:07 left much to the dismay of Dan Dierdorf. The Steelers ended up getting the ball back with 1:58 left, even though Big Ben proceeded to stink it up with a Drew like interception.

even though Big Ben proceeded to stink it up with a Drew like interception.

207054[/snapback]

If you thought those picks were Drew-like, then you were watching a different game than me. Drew would throw some bad picks, but Ben's bad passes were REALLY bad passes, not just a misread in coverage. He was overthrowing one receiver while coming up short on the other receiver...and hitting the zone defender with everything but giftwrapping and a thank-you note.

They lost 3 of those AFC Championships on their homefield to underdog opponents.  The one they did win was against the Colts, a game that they choked in but were fortunate when Quentin Coryatt dropped an easy pic allowing Pitt to get the late go ahead score and then when Harbaugh's last second pass into the endzone was dropped by an inexplicably open receiver.

The Colts that year were akin to the Lions in 1991, i.e. a team that had no business being where they were in the playoffs, yet it took the last second for the Steelers to bear them. Consequently they got pounded in the SB against the Cowboys.

If you thought those picks were Drew-like, then you were watching a different game than me. Drew would throw some bad picks, but Ben's bad passes were REALLY bad passes, not just a misread in coverage. He was overthrowing one receiver while coming up short on the other receiver...and hitting the zone defender with everything but giftwrapping and a thank-you note.

His first INT looked like he MEANT to throw it to Tongue. The second one was a bad throw that was in no way a missed route by the WR, or a tipped pass.

What surprised me the most yesterday was how the Jets felt they didn't need to do anything more when it came to their second field goal attempt to win the game. They had plenty of time...plenty of time outs...why in the name of God would you not try to get another five yards? Christ, you have Curtis Martin...who was having a decent game. Get more yards. Get closer.

I was also surprised at how pathetic some of Hackett's plays were...particularly in the one series in the first half where Pennington had a pump-n-go, but when he realized he couldn't go, he had nowhere else to go at all. They were moving the ball well, and suddenly two sacks and a run for a loss.

I'd be surprised to see Hacket hang around with them during the offseason.

207050[/snapback]

Distance wasn't so much the issue, though I'm sure the kicker would have had more confidence if they were 5 yards closer. I simply don't understand the decision not to have Pennington take 2 steps into the middle of the field on the kneel down play. Had they done that, we'd be talking about how the Jets upset the Stillers despite only putting up 6 points on offense.

Distance wasn't so much the issue, though I'm sure the kicker would have had more confidence if they were 5 yards closer.  I simply don't understand the decision not to have Pennington take 2 steps into the middle of the field on the kneel down play.  Had they done that, we'd be talking about how the Jets upset the Stillers despite only putting up 6 points on offense.

...and how Pennington "just wins." :rolleyes:

207050[/snapback]

It's a pleasant morning on talk radio here today :rolleyes: Everyone is talking about that series. While I may agree that it probably wouldn't make sense to take shots at EZ, you could have run a few safe passes, or at least try to gain another 5 yards to get the kick under 40 yds.

This one was all Herm, he took it away from Hackett on the series.

God I hope they all keep their jobs.

It's a pleasant morning on talk radio here today :rolleyes:  Everyone is talking about that series.  While I may agree that it probably wouldn't make sense to take shots at EZ, you could have run a few safe passes, or at least try to gain another 5 yards to get the kick under 40 yds.

This one was all Herm, he took it away from Hackett on the series.

God I hope they all keep their jobs.

207074[/snapback]

Precisely, and that is what we talk about when we're talking "Marty ball". Edwards did EXACTLY what Marty did last week in the same situation.

A forty-two yard kick on grass, in winter, in the playoffs, with a shaky kicker, is not a gimme. The Steelers were on their heels, they were deflated by Big Ben's terrible interception and the Jets were moving the ball. They should have continued to be aggressive and tried to make it a shorter kick. If it didn't work out, then settle for the long attempt, but don't decide to settle for the long kick with downs to go and timeouts in hand.