Dwan Lives in Buffalo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Not @ all. What about making 3MM on the Bears? Did you ever here of the Craig Rivet Story when he got traded from SJ to BFLO? He asked his real estate agent what kinda house 7 million will get him... She laughed him of the phone and said: "Try 2." That is a 5 million dollar swing! Taxes aren't that much! Changed his mind right quick.

I pay just as much taxes in Illinois, if not more than NYS. Are athletes avoiding Chicago? Cook County sales tax is what? Almost 10%. I think it is the most in the nation. Move my house to the west and north of Chicago and my 150k house goes for double! And the taxes are high!

Right - the contracts aren't higher if you are drafted to the Jets or 49ers vs. Green Bay or the Bills. 1 mill buys a mansion in WNY or 1000 sq ft apt. in NJ or SF.

Back in 2002, the property taxes on our $89,000 house in the Elmwood Village were higher than for our $550,000 house in San Jose.

My sister's boss is Marlon Kerner. He stuck around and people love him at work. Great guy by every account!

He was also a good cornerback but like many players, his body couldn't hold up to the constant abuse which is the NFL.

The high taxes pay for something, people forget that. I'm much more comfortable sending my kids to just about any suburban school district in NY vs. NC. And what I'd pay in private school tuition in NC is way less than the property taxes in WNY.

I agree. My kids went to college and were surprised at how poorly prepared the kids from other places were. You get what you pay for. Maintaining the aging infrastucture in winter isn't cheap. Don't forget that elsewhere a few inches of snow will paralyze a city, but in this area the plows, sanders, salters are all out 24/7 to take care of the roads.

Whenever I go somewhere else I am shocked at the price of food, especially the price of restaurant meals. Upstate/Western NY has higher taxes, but there are many other aspects of living that are cheaper or better than many other places.

Someday I will probably retire and sell may house and move somewhere closer to my kids. Unfortunately, to buy something similar to my little 3 BR ranch in some other part of the country will cost me about $100K more than what mine will sell for. Talk about cheap housing around here!

I agree. My kids went to college and were surprised at how poorly prepared the kids from other places were. You get what you pay for. Maintaining the aging infrastucture in winter isn't cheap. Don't forget that elsewhere a few inches of snow will paralyze a city, but in this area the plows, sanders, salters are all out 24/7 to take care of the roads.

Whenever I go somewhere else I am shocked at the price of food, especially the price of restaurant meals. Upstate/Western NY has higher taxes, but there are many other aspects of living that are cheaper or better than many other places.

Someday I will probably retire and sell may house and move somewhere closer to my kids. Unfortunately, to buy something similar to my little 3 BR ranch in some other part of the country will cost me about $100K more than what mine will sell for. Talk about cheap housing around here!

Exactly. Having graduted from the SUNY system and worked for the UNC system, you're absolutely right.

And I corrected a typo in my original message, private school tuition here in NC is way MORE than the property tax we'll be paying when we move back to ROC. And it's not as if you pay double the school taxes once you have two kids in the district.

We're pleased as punch to be making the move back. I have a lot of friends at a similar stage in life planning to make the move back to WNY for many of the same reasons. Schools, family, culture, etc.

Actually, about the only thing I really don't like about WNY is the hot, humid summers.

They'll be a breath of fresh air after 7 years in NC. Picture the hottest, most humid 95+ degree day WNY might have experienced a couple times in the last few summers. Now live that day every single day for literally two months straight, and that's summer in NC. It blows. It's way easier to stay warm in the WNY winter than cool off in the NC summer.

They'll be a breath of fresh air after 7 years in NC. Picture the hottest, most humid 95+ degree day WNY might have experienced a couple times in the last few summers. Now live that day every single day for literally two months straight, and that's summer in NC. It blows. It's way easier to stay warm in the WNY winter than cool off in the NC summer.

Yeah, I went to visit some family near Columbia, SC in July last year and of course they had to hit their all time record high of 110 while I was there. You literally could not breathe it was so hot...took 10 mins of running the A/C before I could touch the steering wheel leaving the Kids museum in downtown Columbia...

Just brutal...its kind of funny cause their "average" highs in the summer are 93 for June, 95 for July and 92 for August...so basically about 110 days where its supposed to be 90+ when you factor in May and September...yeah, no thanks, lol...

Do like the southern women tho...mmm, mmm, mmm...at least the non 300 pounders...

Edited by matter2003

Columbus!!!! Schools are closed when there is a flurry of snow. And, don't even think about having your street plowed unless you live on a major highway. At least Bflo is prepared for their snow, which cities like Cbus and Cleveland aren't, ever, even though we get just as much.

Huh?? Our summers are some of the best in the country...75-85, sunny with a nice breeze most days

I hope he wasn't being ironic.............I have had friends who moved here from elsewhere who rave about us having the best summers.

Humidity?

In San Jose, there's a lot less humidity and we were struck by Buffalo's humidity in our recent 2 week visit. Obviously places like Arizona and Nevada also have less humidity.

That said, humidity is a lot worse in many other places including the gulf coast states and the mid-Atlantic states and parts of the upper Great Lakes.

Columbus!!!! Schools are closed when there is a flurry of snow. And, don't even think about having your street plowed unless you live on a major highway. At least Bflo is prepared for their snow, which cities like Cbus and Cleveland aren't, ever, even though we get just as much.

Columbus averages 20 inches a year, Cleveland 60, Buffalo 96...

Suburbs of Cleveland in the snow belt get quite a bit tho, like in the 100-150 inch range, suburbs south of Buffalo in the snowbelts can get anywhere from 150-250+ inches...and yes for as much snow as Cleveland gets they are horrible at dealing with it.

Main differences in winter weather in Mid Ohio is they get lots of sun in the winter but its still cold, we go weeks without seeing the sun at times here in the winter...

Snowbelt off lake Ontario north of Syracuse tho is the stuff of legends...

Edited by matter2003

I'll take the temperate climate we have here. Also, aren't we all forgetting that the further down South you go, the more nasty the insects/spiders/snakes/etc. get? I sleep better at night knowing I don't have to worry about a brown recluse spider or something horrible like that. Up here we don't have to worry about the killer bees, either.

I'll take the temperate climate we have here. Also, aren't we all forgetting that the further down South you go, the more nasty the insects/spiders/snakes/etc. get? I sleep better at night knowing I don't have to worry about a brown recluse spider or something horrible like that. Up here we don't have to worry about the killer bees, either.

This is true... although brown recluses and timber rattlesnakes are in the WNY region. But that's it...no where near what there is in the deep south. And I HATE fire ants too.

Yeah, we live next to a creek and NC has many venemous snakes. Saw a 3-foot copperhead while out walking the dog a few years ago. I'm not scared of the snake as much as I'm scared of what they can do to a dog or small child.

And I HATE fire ants too.

Ha, yeah, those too. I get a few mounds in my yard each year. Found a fantastic and uber CHEAP way to deal with them though. Just boil up a huge stock/lobster pot of water, pour on the mound and voila: Fire ant soup.

I just did that a couple weeks ago. Saw a patch of dirt with red ants on it, boiled up some water and dumped it right over 'em. It's efficient and eco-friendly (not spraying chemicals/pesticides). I have a friend who has a phobia of ants. He claims we all underestimate them and if they ever got organized with their sheer numbers they could challenge humanity. I always say, "dude... I could just stomp on them."

Yeah, we live next to a creek and NC has many venemous snakes. Saw a 3-foot copperhead while out walking the dog a few years ago. I'm not scared of the snake as much as I'm scared of what they can do to a dog or small child.

That would scare me, especially as we have a baby.

Edited by Nate128