Anyone who doesn't want to draft Nugent

Albany,n.y.

The Jets-Steelers game is more evidence that the Bills must draft Nugent if they want to be a championship team. Making the playoffs & relying on a shaky kicker like Doug (2 missed extra points against us in Minny) Brien -OR RIAN LINDELL - is a disservice to the other 52 players on your roster. Kickers obviously decide games. If we don't pick Nugent in round 2, the Jets will.

I have a couple questions about this Nugent.

How is he on kickoffs?

Any info on how many touchbacks he had?

Is he like a sabastian janikowski type who can hit from anywhere and puts kickoffs in the endzone most of the time?

Thanks in advance.

How is he on kickoffs?

Is he like a sabastian janikowski type who can hit from anywhere and puts kickoffs in the endzone most of the time?

Thanks in advance.

206748[/snapback]

HEY! I was begging for the Polish toe.

We need somebody to replace Josh Reed next year. We also need to draft a CB for when we don't resign Clements. (he'll be asking for Winfield type money) Then you look at our mess of an O-line. Figure in that we already used our 1st round pick on Losman. Bottom line, we need more draft picks.

We need somebody to replace Josh Reed next year.  We also need to draft a CB for when we don't resign Clements. (he'll be asking for Winfield type money)  Then you look at our mess of an O-line.  Figure in that we already used our 1st round pick on Losman.  Bottom line, we need more draft picks.

206785[/snapback]

And a GM that knows what to do with them.

The Jets-Steelers game is more evidence that the Bills must draft Nugent if they want to be a championship team.  Making the playoffs & relying on a shaky kicker like Doug (2 missed extra points against us in Minny) Brien -OR RIAN LINDELL - is a disservice to the other 52 players on your roster.  Kickers obviously decide games.  If we don't pick Nugent in round 2, the Jets will.

206741[/snapback]

Or....they DID pay attention to the Chargers-Jets game last week where last year's hot sh-- rookie kicker Keading missed a key field goal and may prefer a veteran kicker instead.

I'm just saying. :w00t:

How is he on kickoffs?

Thanks in advance.

206748[/snapback]

To answer you questions: when Mike Nugent gets drafted, he will be one of the three best kickers in all football. He kicks longer than any current pro kicker.

34 of his 55 kickoffs in 2004 were touchbacks.  He hits just about everything and has a great leg - nailed a 55-yarder to beat Marshall as time expired this year.

Draft this guy!

206891[/snapback]

This sounds great! Folks get all wound up in a kicker's placekicking results that they seem to devalue the other parts of the kicking game which while not the difference in point total for a particular game usually determine game-in and game-out what will occur.

This is no defense of Lindell because after he missed the chip shot I think that the placekicking issue is such a problem this may well provide the room and the pressure for TD to take the deadspace cap hit from the mistake of signing him long term.

However Lindell does get high marks for some really outstanding directional kicking that was a big part of our ST being so great in kick coverage in 2004 based on the stats I have seen on return yardage and also I think drive starts as well.

One thing that AT demonstrated very well in this game was how important it is for blockers to set up a great picket line for a return and how important it can be when the team runs fakes and decoys well in the return game. A crtical job for the kicker is to kick it to exactly the place and exactly the manner that the team plans on him kicking it.

Lindell showed an extraordinary ability to make some kicks squibs, some kicks high kicks and to kick to either side of the field without it going OB giving the receiving team great field position with no effort. No one knows whether he actually kicked it as ordered for suure, but given the Bills nearly pristine record in kick coverage and the diversity of types and lenths of kicks we saw in games, the strong likelihood is he did the job he was paid to do.

A third facet of the kick game that Lindell did well with which is far less prevalent than the coverage game or the pressure kick game was onside kicks. I believe Lindell was called upon to do this twice this season. The effort was unsuccessful in the Steelers game but did not look like the kickers problem to me. The other time which occured during the streak was marverlous work by Lindell as the Bills opened up the 2nd half when the opoonents needed to an were clearly pumped to reverse the momentum of the game.

April and the coaches made a great call in going with the onside kick as lclearly the opponent was dropping back to block and provided the Bills with a great opportunity. Lindell faked like he was doing a normal kick well. He hit the requisite 10 yards and he recovered the kick himself. Kudos to the whole ST unit as no one tipped out hand no hits or blocks can be made until the ball travels 10 yards.

I believe they still use a higher tee in college than in the pros which makes it easier to create touchbacks.

Nugent is far from a no-brainer even if he is available in the 3rd round where I think the Bills would take him because in addition to hitting FG, a judgment will have to be made that his touchback numbers will be the same in the pros and he will have to master the winds of the Ralph and directional kicking to make this a good pick.

Rookie kicker missed 40 yd FG last weekend and Bolts are home for the rest of the playoffs. This fascination with a rookie K is mind-boggling.

206960[/snapback]

Therefore, all rookie Kickers will choke.. And so it is written. :rolleyes:

Lets draft a Guard in Round 2 and watch him sit on the bench for 2 years. That will make an impact.

Regardless of the comparison parallels, a position of need for the Bills is Kicker. Doug Brien, a Kicker who was cut by 3 teams prior to the Jets, is not an answer. Nor is Jake Arians. Most Kickers are cut for a reason.

So unless the Bills pony up and offer Adam Viniteri 3-4 Mil a year, the Bills wouldn't be reaching to take a shot at Nugent, a unique talent who has a cannon for a leg and is deadly accurate. 8-9 from 50 + yards isn't luck. The point is to upgrade a critical position that could win football games. Nugent looks FAR better than Lindell.

Therefore, all rookie Kickers will choke.. And so it is written.  :rolleyes:

Lets draft a Guard in Round 2 and watch him sit on the bench for 2 years. That will make an impact.

Regardless of the silly comparison parallels, which mean nothing, a position of need for the Bills is Kicker. Doug Brien, a Kicker who was cut by 3 teams prior to the Jets, is not an answer. Nor is Jake Arians.  Most Kickers are cut for a reason.

So unless the Bills pony up and offer Adam Viniteri 3-4 Mil a year, the Bills wouldn't be reaching to take a shot at Nugent, a unique talent who has a cannon for a leg and is deadly accurate. 8-9 from 50 + yards isn't luck. The point is to upgrade a critical position that could win football games. Nugent looks FAR better than Lindell.

206961[/snapback]

I seriously doubt he's leaving the Pats

Nugent is far from a no-brainer even if he is available in the 3rd round where I think the Bills would take him because in addition to hitting FG, a judgment will have to be made that his touchback numbers will be the same in the pros and he will have to master the winds of the Ralph and directional kicking to make this a good pick.

206954[/snapback]

There's uncertainty in any draft pick for any position, kicker included. The fact that Nugent is widely regarded as one of the top kicking prospects in the past decade probably means that he'd be a pretty safe pick. And when you consider that a large majority of quality NFL kickers weren't even DRAFTED means that a guy predicted to be taken no later than round 3 is likely to be a serious gamer.

I would LOVE the Bills to pick Nugent.

Hey, if we can wait two years for our first round running back to show up, and two years for our first round quarterback to show up, why can't we get some action out of a second round kicker right away?

The kicking game is 1/3 of the game of foosball folks. We are NOT strong up the middle there. The place kicker is a spot on offense AND defense. We need all the offense we can get, AND as many 80 yard fields to defend as we can get.

DonnaHo will draft the best available player. It'd be a kick if that were Nugent.