Yahoo CEO and the NSA

Azalin

War zone combat is the declared fighting of nations in an armed conflict, usually over resources or territory; and terrorism is a tactic used to scare a civilian or non-combatant population into compliance.

So the attacks in Iraq against Iraqi and American troops fits your definition? :doh:

And there you have it. Hysterical shouts of "Bush Lied, People Died!!" are now "Oh well, **** happens." You are a partisan hack of the highest order.

Your argument makes no sense at all. Do you even know the point you are trying to make?

There were literally thousands of terrorists attacks against American troops and diplomatic areas in that time in Iraq. It was a Bengazi a day under Bush. Yet when Obama sees one attack like that the right wants to impeach....

Oh my God, there was combat in a combat zone!

You truly are retarded.

That's a tough position to be put in as the head of one of these companies. Do they betray their customer base and secretly help the government with constitutionally-questionable spying activities hoping that word never leaks out, or do they make a very public "screw you" statement by leaking everything to the press, knowing that they will be arrested, persecuted and making the trial as public as possible?

l picked a small, lesser known email provider based in part on its stronger than usual privacy policies. Recently, they shut the service down and posted the letter below on their website - - Be afraid, be very afraid:

http://lavabit.com/

My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,

Ladar Levison

Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

l picked a small, lesser known email provider based in part on its stronger than usual privacy policies. Recently, they shut the service down and posted the letter below on their website - - Be afraid, be very afraid:

http://lavabit.com/

I read about that, and also heard the government was actually fighting him, telling him he couldn't shut down his own business, or they would file obstruction charges against him...

I read about that, and also heard the government was actually fighting him, telling him he couldn't shut down his own business, or they would file obstruction charges against him...

He didn't build that business, somebody else did. So it's only fair that he can't shutter it.

It wasn't that he shut down operations. He shut down operations and destroyed the data he was subpoenaed to provide. That is worth an obstruction charge...

...but the government couldn't file and try that charge in an open court without admitting the details of what they were collecting, which they clearly don't want to do (given that Levison has a gag order on him). So they'd have to file in a closed court, for obstruction of a secret order from a secret court that we're not allowed to know any details of.

Forget the NSA reading our emails...the "judicial" process is the scary thing here. They can read all the emails of mine they want...but due process that's secret, if it exists at all? Yeah, that scares the **** out of me.