Yahoo CEO and the NSA

Azalin

not a single person that I know who was up in arms over the patriot act has uttered a peep over the NSA domestic spying revelations. before all this came to light, I would have bet everything I own that americans of all political persuasions would have been outraged and demand justice, but the silence from all quarters astounds me.

"If you don't comply, it is treason," Mayer said when asked why she couldn't just spill details of requests by U.S. spy agencies for information about Yahoo users

Edited by Azalin

That's a tough position to be put in as the head of one of these companies. Do they betray their customer base and secretly help the government with constitutionally-questionable spying activities hoping that word never leaks out, or do they make a very public "screw you" statement by leaking everything to the press, knowing that they will be arrested, persecuted and making the trial as public as possible?

Edited by Koko78

That's a tough position to be put in as the head of one of these companies. Do they betray their customer base and secretly help the government with constitutionally-questionable spying activities hoping that word never leaks out, or do they make a very public "screw you" statement by leaking everything to the press, knowing that they will be arrested, persecuted and making the trial as public as possible?

The twit running Yahoo is a huge ditz and Obama supporter. She would have fought it if it was Bush asking.

I think that is exactly what they need to do. Imagine the circus that would be if the CEO of Yahoo, Google or Facbook were arrested. Not that it would ever happen.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

we can have federal law legalizing abortion based on a 'constitutional righ to privacy', but all of a sudden that same protection of privacy goes right straight down the dumper when it comes to the feds collecting our private correspondance?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

we can have federal law legalizing abortion based on a 'constitutional righ to privacy', but all of a sudden that same protection of privacy goes right straight down the dumper when it comes to the feds collecting our private correspondance?

The issue again is what constitutes private conversation. A post on Facebook or on an Internet forum is not private communication. An email probably is, although I don't know how courts treat email compared to regular mail.

Otoh, this could all be a big plot by the government to rescue the USPS.

The issue again is what constitutes private conversation. A post on Facebook or on an Internet forum is not private communication. An email probably is, although I don't know how courts treat email compared to regular mail.

Otoh, this could all be a big plot by the government to rescue the USPS.

social media like facebook, PPP, etc would be fair game since it's all posted for others to see. when someone writes an email, especially one that's sent from one individual to another, how is that not private? or phone conversations.....how is recording telephone conversations and storing them not an infringement of our privacy?

I guess I've been too naive all these years.....after all, if we're not saying anything bad, what do we have to worry about?

social media like facebook, PPP, etc would be fair game since it's all posted for others to see. when someone writes an email, especially one that's sent from one individual to another, how is that not private? or phone conversations.....how is recording telephone conversations and storing them not an infringement of our privacy?

I guess I've been too naive all these years.....after all, if we're not saying anything bad, what do we have to worry about?

Well your privacy interest as to the fact you called, the general area where you were when you called, and how long the call was is diminished (not to say there isn't a privacy expectation, it just isn't as strong). You share this with the phone company. I have not read any cases or anything, but I assume some similar argument is made with respect to emails and servers they may pass through. The exact content of calls and emails depends on what supporting info they have..."apparently" with emails they gather it all live as it passes through and have "warrants" to do so. For calls "apparently" they store them in some sketchy building and promise not to look unless they get a "warrant" and then after some number of years they destroy it. The whole thing is pretty insane. But I will say this....in my mind we have officially found the limit that the public is willing to accept. 1 inch more than that and an actual real movement in Congress would happen.

Edited by SameOldBills

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/11/nsa-americans-personal-data-israel-documents

According to the agreement, the intelligence being shared would not be filtered in advance by NSA analysts to remove US communications. "NSA routinely sends ISNU [the Israeli Sigint National Unit] minimized and unminimized raw collection", it says.

Although the memorandum is explicit in saying the material had to be handled in accordance with US law, and that the Israelis agreed not to deliberately target Americans identified in the data, these rules are not backed up by legal obligations.

And that's the rub. I don't believe the phone conversations are recorded & stored - just the calling traffic data & numbers. Ad that is not private information. Email is another matter, but the issue with email is that it is stored on servers and gov't can get the historic email with a subpoena, but the phone conversation is gone as soon as you hang up.

Emails and phone conversations, just in my opinion, are basically the same thing as a person talking out loud in public. You are sending a message out over the air ways. I'm personally not convinced that they are somehow protected by the 4th amendment. It's not like having my house searched. That's just how I see it but I understand that many others don't see it that way

Emails and phone conversations, just in my opinion, are basically the same thing as a person talking out loud in public. You are sending a message out over the air ways. I'm personally not convinced that they are somehow protected by the 4th amendment. It's not like having my house searched. That's just how I see it but I understand that many others don't see it that way

You mean like you if Bush were prez?

Strawman? If Bush could have prevented another attack and would not have to start another war I was cool with that.

How many more attacks were there from 9/11/2001-1/1/2009?

So you're ok with the gov't listening to all your phone calls and reading all your emails? Why are your conversations any different once you've put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it?

How many more attacks were there from 9/11/2001-1/1/2009?

So you're ok with the gov't listening to all your phone calls and reading all your emails? Why are your conversations any different once you've put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it?

There were literally thousands of terrorists attacks against American troops and diplomatic areas in that time in Iraq. It was a Bengazi a day under Bush. Yet when Obama sees one attack like that the right wants to impeach....

The second part is a good question. I don't know

There were literally thousands of terrorists attacks against American troops and diplomatic areas in that time in Iraq. It was a Bengazi a day under Bush. Yet when Obama sees one attack like that the right wants to impeach....

The second part is a good question. I don't know

I was referring to attacks on US soil. And no one is bitching about this administration that there was an attack in Bengazi people were bitching how this administration bugled the whole thing as it was happening and tried to cover up the reason for he attack afterwards.

A Bengazi a day under Bush. :rolleyes:

I was referring to attacks on US soil. And no one is bitching about this administration that there was an attack in Bengazi people were bitching how this administration bugled the whole thing as it was happening and tried to cover up the reason for he attack afterwards.

A Bengazi a day under Bush. :rolleyes:

4 dead in one attack? Ya, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bush saw an average of that. Obama bugled it? Did he play taps? Its terrible four people died, but that's how the world turns

I think that someone is either being intentionally obtuse or doesn't understand the difference between war zone combat and terrorism.

You know what, you are right. Tell me the difference between the two types of attacks. I'd love to see how you differentiate the two

4 dead in one attack? Ya, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bush saw an average of that. Obama bugled it? Did he play taps? Its terrible four people died, but that's how the world turns

And there you have it. Hysterical shouts of "Bush Lied, People Died!!" are now "Oh well, **** happens." You are a partisan hack of the highest order.

Edited by Chef Jim