It's tough being oppressed

/dev/null

In the '40s, Stalin, who otherwise wouldn't show American films to the Soviet public, allowed "The Grapes of Wrath" to be shown in theaters, as a propaganda tool to demonstrate the subjugation and exploitation of the proletariat in capitalist societies. Stalin had the movie pulled after a weekend, when the Soviet public expressed amazement that the American poor owned cars.

In the '40s, Stalin, who otherwise wouldn't show American films to the Soviet public, allowed "The Grapes of Wrath" to be shown in theaters, as a propaganda tool to demonstrate the subjugation and exploitation of the proletariat in capitalist societies. Stalin had the movie pulled after a weekend, when the Soviet public expressed amazement that the American poor owned cars.

Oops.

I wonder how many heads rolled for that one.

I spent 25 years in SoCal where you do need AC and didn't have it. Or when I did never used it.

Oh and BTW it was 92 in the shade in the "cool" Oakland Hills last weekend.

When we lived in Whittier in a well shaded non air conditioned bungalow the standard procedure in hot weather was to keep the house closed up in daylight and opened up at night. If it wasn't a Santa Anna wind deal then the temperature would drop considerably as the sun set.

Ventura was ideal. 85 degrees with ocean breezes and low humidity.

When we lived in Whittier in a well shaded non air conditioned bungalow the standard procedure in hot weather was to keep the house closed up in daylight and opened up at night. If it wasn't a Santa Anna wind deal then the temperature would drop considerably as the sun set.

Ventura was ideal. 85 degrees with ocean breezes and low humidity.

In Aliso Viejo it was ceiling fans in every room. Our neighbor would run her AC all day. We'd get up early and it would be in the 60's and her windows were all closed up tight and her AC was on. We figured seeing she was divorced her ex paid her bills.

Edited by Chef Jim