Favorite Album Covers

Chef Jim

Here's the best part. I used to browse the albums at the store and always made sure to find the Roxy Music ones. Never bought one, too risky as a kid, so I had no idea what their music was like. Fast forward to 1982 when I moved in with my future wife who I found out was a huge Roxy Music fan. She had all of these in her collection. :thumbsup:

That's a keeper.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a keeper.

30 years later still going strong. And the best was we both had Yessongs and she had Yes's earlier albums and I had their later ones. What a team!

Oh but it was a bit awkward first when she kept asking why I kept taking her Roxy Music albums into the bathroom. 0:)

Edited by Chef Jim

30 years later still going strong. And the best was we both had Yessongs and she had Yes's earlier albums and I had their later ones. What a team!

Oh but it was a bit ackward at first when she kept asking why I kept taking her Roxy Music albums into the bathroom. 0:)

Well she was taking your Earth Wind and Fire albums into the bathroom ...

Nice! I actually posted the original Alive! album cover, but it was life-sized and I couldn't adjust it, so I deleted it. LOVE Dressed to Kill.

Alive and Alive II were both great to look at. They allowed a person to 'see' the show as the album played. I always loved the Dressed to Kill album cover though. It was such a paradox to see them in suits etc. Good art in my opinion.

I mentioned that I had been reading Gregg Allman's autobiography and in it he explains the story behind the Live at Fillmore East cover. Here is the picture that was not used.

ABB%2BPromofillmorejpg.jpg

Well they photographer was not happy with how the band was not cooperating and he said I'm going to turn around and reload the camera and this is the last roll. You better behave or I won't work with you again. Well while the photographer was reloadind Duane saw his drug dealer across the street. Duane runs across and scores a bag and runs back and sits down. And this the the now iconic picture for that album. And now you know the rest of the story.

Allman-Brother-At-Fillmore-East.png

I always wondered what they were laughing at. Oh and Dickey's looking at Duane with that "I can't !@#$ing believe you just did that" look.

Haven't read the book yet, but as it probably states, the Photographer was the great late Jim Marshall. It seems odd Jim would be upset ever with anyone, as he was more than likely coked out of his gourd. But could have a temper when he became paranoid delusional. Jim was a great guy. After he cleaned up.

Haven't read the book yet, but as it probably states, the Photographer was the great late Jim Marshall. It seems odd Jim would be upset ever with anyone, as he was more than likely coked out of his gourd. But could have a temper when he became paranoid delusional. Jim was a great guy. After he cleaned up.

After reading Gregg's book I can understand why these guys pissed him off. They were not into the whole PR thing. All they wanted do to was play, do drugs, and !@#$ chicks and neither was happening during the cold photo shoot in Macon.

BTW thanks Darin. I never noticed the Lovecraft quote on the Maiden cover before. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chef Jim

After reading Gregg's book I can understand why these guys pissed him off. They were not into the whole PR thing. All they wanted do to was play, do drugs, and !@#$ chicks and neither was happening during the cold photo shoot in Macon.

BTW thanks Darin. I never noticed the Lovecraft quote on the Maiden cover before. :thumbsup:

I believe the photo you posted is at the loading dock of the Fillmore East in NYC.

I believe the photo you posted is at the loading dock of the Fillmore East in NYC.

Nope. In Macon. It was a very cold day there. The roadies came up with a great idea to paint ABB on all the equipment boxes stack them up against this brick wall. I always thought so too because it looks so NY.

Now the first that can tell me the Buffalo connection on the back picture wins a prize. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

Nope. In Macon. It was a very cold day there. The roadies came up with a great idea to paint ABB on all the equipment boxes stack them up against this brick wall. I always thought so too because it looks so NY.

Now the first that can tell me the Buffalo connection on the back picture wins a prize. :D

Without even looking here's my guess. The manager (twiggs) that killed the bar owner on hertel is in the pic?

What do I win ?

Without even looking here's my guess. The manager (twiggs) that killed the bar owner on hertel is in the pic?

What do I win ?

Well he's not actually in that picture but there's a small picture of him in the upper left. The reason he was not with the road crew was because he was in jail for murder. And you've won, from an album that is another one of my favorites.

tubes.jpg

a heated kidney shaped pool,

a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,

a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,

a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,

a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,

real simulated Indian jewelry,

a Gucci shoetree,

a year's supply of antibiotics,

a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth

and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,

a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,

Rosemary's baby,

a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,

a new Matador, a new mastodon,

a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,

a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,

a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,

a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,

a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,

a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,

or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,

a Las Vegas wedding,

a Mexican divorce,

a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,

or a baby's arm holding an apple?

Well he's not actually in that picture but there's a small picture of him in the upper left. The reason he was not with the road crew was because he was in jail for murder. And you've won, from an album that is another one of my favorites.

tubes.jpg

a heated kidney shaped pool,

a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,

a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,

a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,

a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,

real simulated Indian jewelry,

a Gucci shoetree,

a year's supply of antibiotics,

a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth

and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,

a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,

Rosemary's baby,

a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,

a new Matador, a new mastodon,

a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,

a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,

a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,

a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,

a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,

a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,

or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,

a Las Vegas wedding,

a Mexican divorce,

a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,

or a baby's arm holding an apple?

I'm overwhelmed!! I'll take everything but the Gucci shoe tree, and the dream date with Paul Williams.