Is it normal for routers to crap out this often?

PromoTheRobot

Yep ... Many of the youngins around here wouldn't have picked it up.

I admit, it took me a minute.

Promo - have you tried putting it on a surge protector or battery backup? I've had mine for years, D-Link I think is the brand, and it's still going strong.

PTR- I have had the same router for about 8 years...it still works fine...what are you doing to yours?

Yeah... Mine has been going on 4 years. Don't jinx me now! Mine is a Motorola SurfBoard... Mine is on a UPS... I have noticed that I can't get it to encrypt data @ times... WiFi Light is orange not green... BUT it seems faster! I do have it secured & protected.

We did have a bad lightning storm here a week ago. That could be part of the problem. But I do have everything on surge protectors.

Aren't you a radio operator? Where is that rig located?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I've had to replace my router every 6 months or so. Is it normal for them to go bad this fast? I tried all the major brands: Cisco/Linksys, Belkin, Netgear. They all start sputtering after a while. Any ideas or suggestions?

PTR

It's definitely not normal because a router should last several years at a minimum with the only issue being obsolescence. Perhaps you should look into the purchase of a Power Conditioner/Surge Protector with Battery Backup.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Do they even have shop class in schools anymore? Likely it has been replaced with computer lab.

Gotta get shop @ home now for the most part! My son's high school is college prep. Probably why most don't know their azz from their elbow... Let alone a wood router! Same w/home economics. When we went to school, boys had to take home ec too! Girls took shop...

Called it: Industrial Arts

Remember 7th grade would be photography tied into printing (offset, rubber stamps, etc..) and other graphic arts... Computers most certainly killed that!

I still make the note pads of paper @ work in a vice w/rubber cement... LoL... Screw GSA... LoL..

8th grade was wood shop.

9th grade was metal/plactic shop... Forming, welding, etc...

Gotta get shop @ home now for the most part! My son's high school is college prep. Probably why most don't know their azz from their elbow... Let alone a wood router! Same w/home economics. When we went to school, boys had to take home ec too! Girls took shop...

I took "shop" in college, they called it Manufacturing Processes...

http://www.alfredstate.edu/catalog/10388.htm

I took "shop" in college, they called it Manufacturing Processes...

http://www.alfredstate.edu/catalog/10388.htm

Yep. I think 9th grade for me was an elective. In West Seneca, it was Material, Metals, & Forming or something. Did all sorts of things from welding to plastics... Go figure, I went on to get a BA @ UB and then work in the field I do now! LoL... Anyway, it paid off for a lot I do. Everything is in-house, so we do all our own heavy maintenance like welding and cutting, etc...

I have a Belkin and have had issues. There customer service department is good, but even they are stumped. My main computer will lose connection for no apparent reason. I call Belkin, we change settings and I am back up and running. Well we did this several times, and my computer can no longer connect wirelessly. But the computer down the hall has a great connection. After days, and many calls, and many frustrations, I finally gave up and hard wired that computer

I have a Belkin and have had issues. There customer service department is good, but even they are stumped. My main computer will lose connection for no apparent reason. I call Belkin, we change settings and I am back up and running. Well we did this several times, and my computer can no longer connect wirelessly. But the computer down the hall has a great connection. After days, and many calls, and many frustrations, I finally gave up and hard wired that computer

Is the router FW up to date?

What about the computer's WiFi card? There are two sides of the equation? I mentioned how I can only get mine to work w/unencrpted data... I think it works better. Have you pressed the sync button... I don't know too much about this but, I can't get mine to connect any other way...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What about the computer's WiFi card? There are two sides of the equation? I mentioned how I can only get mine to work w/unencrpted data... I think it works better. Have you pressed the sync button... I don't know too much about this but, I can't get mine to connect any other way...

Wireless with no security enabled? :unsure:

Wireless with no security enabled? :unsure:

No. I have security on it... Even mac filtering... From what I understand it just doesn't encrypt the data zooming through the air? It is really a mystery to me. The WiFi LED on the modem is orange... Other lights are green... The WiFi light should change green after so many minutes but doesn't... From what I read in the manual, it means that data is unencrypted. I still have WPA (or whatever) protection... I am far away from anybody grabbing the data. I can't get it to connect the encrypted way... Maybe it is just a burned LED and it stays orange. It is a Motorola SurfBoard Modem...