Putin Op-Ed in the NY Times

dayman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brilliance of Putin's op-ed: he strengthened Russia's and China's position on the world stage immeasurably, by bursting the myth of "American exceptionalism."

Every myth begins with some truth. Or, I bet the day the Berlin wall came down was an "exceptional" day for Putin.

I bet he wasn't talking about us being a myth on that day.

We have, and likely will ALWAYS have, exceptional fundamentals as a nation. It's what we do with these fundamentals that make the difference. 8 years of one guy trying to destroy these fundamentals? Good. All that does is prove that he, people like him, and all fo their ideas on how to make "progress": are stupid.

All it really takes to re-capture our exceptionalism is one good President. By good I mean Reagan, not Clinton. Thatcher was led by Reagin. Clinton was led by Tony Blair.

The problem is we look at our exceptionalism as what has made us great which is has. Much of the rest of the world views our exceptionalism as arrogance which it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's only bragging if you can't do it.

Most of the world knows they can't do it. They know we can. That's unsettling for them. I don't blame them, but that doesn't make it less true. The other thing: we don't care. They act like we do, they want us to, but we don't, and they know it. We spend 50x more time/resources keeping them from killing each other, and handing out food, than we do messing with their governments and exploiting them. And, even if that wasn't the case? We still don't care.

They know that too. That makes some of them even more crazy. I swear half of this Islamodouchebaggery is merely about getting our attention. In that respect, it's no different than Canadians close-talking politics to me while I'm taking a leak at the Sabres game: getting my attention. Why my attention has value? I don't know, and, again, I don't care.

Also consider: I saw "Independence Day" at a movie theater in London, then, I saw it at one in America.

The English, and many non-English tourists could talk about? "Well, of course it had to be America that would save the day" as they rolled their eyes. In the US theater? Everybody just enjoyed themselves...because it's a F'ing movie.

Of course I rolled my eyes right back at the Eurodopes at the pub after :rolleyes: "Well apparently only you would go to a movie, and rather than enjoy it, you try to derive political meaning out of Independence Day, of all things. Yes, War and Peace, Independence Day, it's the same thing. :lol: You know, there was a hilariously incongruent, political, enviroweeny message in that movie...I don't see you complaining about that! Yeah, the producers were going for the USA! thing, and not Global Warming."

Owned them all. It's funny, for all the schit they talk about Americans? When held accountable by a real one, live? They can't hang. Not even a little.

That's another thing we're better at, and, Obama's failure doesn't change it.

Every myth begins with some truth. Or, I bet the day the Berlin wall came down was an "exceptional" day for Putin.

I bet he wasn't talking about us being a myth on that day.

We have, and likely will ALWAYS have, exceptional fundamentals as a nation. It's what we do with these fundamentals that make the difference. 8 years of one guy trying to destroy these fundamentals? Good. All that does is prove that he, people like him, and all fo their ideas on how to make "progress": are stupid.

All it really takes to re-capture our exceptionalism is one good President. By good I mean Reagan, not Clinton. Thatcher was led by Reagin. Clinton was led by Tony Blair.

It's only bragging if you can't do it.

Most of the world knows they can't do it. They know we can. That's unsettling for them. I don't blame them, but that doesn't make it less true. The other thing: we don't care. They act like we do, they want us to, but we don't, and they know it. We spend 50x more time/resources keeping them from killing each other, and handing out food, than we do messing with their governments and exploiting them. And, even if that wasn't the case? We still don't care.

They know that too. That makes some of them even more crazy. I swear half of this Islamodouchebaggery is merely about getting our attention. In that respect, it's no different than Canadians close-talking politics to me while I'm taking a leak at the Sabres game: getting my attention. Why my attention has value? I don't know, and, again, I don't care.

Also consider: I saw "Independence Day" at a movie theater in London, then, I saw it at one in America.

The English, and many non-English tourists could talk about? "Well, of course it had to be America that would save the day" as they rolled their eyes. In the US theater? Everybody just enjoyed themselves...because it's a F'ing movie.

Of course I rolled my eyes right back at the Eurodopes at the pub after :rolleyes: "Well apparently only you would go to a movie, and rather than enjoy it, you try to derive political meaning out of Independence Day, of all things. Yes, War and Peace, Independence Day, it's the same thing. :lol: You know, there was a hilariously incongruent, political, enviroweeny message in that movie...I don't see you complaining about that! Yeah, the producers were going for the USA! thing, and not Global Warming."

Owned them all. It's funny, for all the schit they talk about Americans? When held accountable by a real one, live? They can't hang. Not even a little.

That's another thing we're better at, and, Obama's failure doesn't change it.

It figures the bloviating narcissistic turd would validate the concept of "exceptionalism".

It figures the bloviating narcissistic turd would validate the concept of "exceptionalism".

Do you deny the fundamentals we have?

Do you deny that there is no more frontier, and that the lines are now drawn?

Do you deny that the basic consciousness of most of us includes expecting to win?

Do you deny that when you take all three of the above, you have a much higher propensity for exceptional outcomes?

If you deny any of these things? Then you are an unmitigated moron.

Do you deny the fundamentals we have?

Do you deny that there is no more frontier, and that the lines are now drawn?

Do you deny that the basic consciousness of most of us includes expecting to win?

Do you deny that when you take all three of the above, you have a much higher propensity for exceptional outcomes?

If you deny any of these things? Then you are an unmitigated moron.

I deny your second assertion. Space and deep sea

As populations increase and resources decrease, if you don't think the Great Powers* push to claim resources in these new frontiers, then you are an unmitigated moron

*As promised, Obama has succeeded in fundamentally transforming this nation. We have transformed from sole Super Power to Great Power akin to late 19th/early 20th century Europe. But IMO we are more like the Ottoman Turks, stale, stagnant, and primed for a collapse

I deny your second assertion. Space and deep sea

As populations increase and resources decrease, if you don't think the Great Powers* push to claim resources in these new frontiers, then you are an unmitigated moron

*As promised, Obama has succeeded in fundamentally transforming this nation. We have transformed from sole Super Power to Great Power akin to late 19th/early 20th century Europe. But IMO we are more like the Ottoman Turks, stale, stagnant, and primed for a collapse

Oh right, I forgot the Johnny Quest aspect of this. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's no different than the Lousiana Purchase. It's the same thing. :rolleyes:

I'll get you a grip. There's no place for a country like India to expand, without starting a massive war. The "game" was over before they got a chance to play. Now, they are stuck with the Baltic set, and don't have any more room to put hotels.

Meanwhile, we basically have the Boardwalk set, and we haven't even put up all the houses.

Frankly, sea and space is probably the best they can hope for, but, does that mean that they would pass on a chance to take Austrailia, or parts of Africa, if it comes up? Nope. The natural resources, never mind the open space, mean they would do it, if they thought they could win.

But, without any of that? And, without Johnny Quest? The geopolitical deck is stacked in our favor, and it always will be.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Oh right, I forgot the Johnny Quest aspect of this. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's no different than the Lousiana Purchase. It's the same thing. :rolleyes:

Johnny Quest :lol:

But seriously, remember when Obama went to Brazil a year or two ago and said he wanted to be one of their best oil customers? You know where they are drilling and we are not?

China and India are planning Moon missions. Yeah I know, been there done that. But what have we done with it?

Johnny Quest :lol:

But seriously, remember when Obama went to Brazil a year or two ago and said he wanted to be one of their best oil customers? You know where they are drilling and we are not?

China and India are planning Moon missions. Yeah I know, been there done that. But what have we done with it?

Sure I do. And, we all laughed at that when he did it. The man seems incapable of abstract thought. Thus, he ends up looking hypocritical all the time. Or, perhaps when you take on a set of ideas, that were poorly conceived and not thought through to begin with, and drive them all the time, rather than taking a problem solving approach, this is what you get?

Yes, China and India better look to space/sea. What is China going to do with 50 million men that can't get laid? I keep saying that this unintended consequence(yet another from the statists) is perhaps the most dangerous global risk we face.

Put them all on the moon? Under the sea?

Perhaps while they are all down there, they can find the Global Warming that's been hiding there. I mean, it's not like they would be short of manpower.