Putin Op-Ed in the NY Times

dayman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it was much better than I expected.

Although, now that I think about it, it was in English, and Putin's native language isn't English, so there may have been something lost in the translation between Putin's brain and the NY Times that would have made it better.

Since I can't read Putin's mind or speak Russian, I can't be totally sure.

Surprisingly, I thought Putin was on target with most of his criticism. The "exceptionalism" aside was clunky and didn't flow but I get his point. Given his own country's regard for civil rights and international law I take his comments with a grain of salt, but all in all it was much better than I expected.

You've got to remember, Putin's the child of a society that has a deep, strong cultural memory of invasions by "exceptional" societies such as the Nazis. It would be surprising if he didn't send that message, and it's FAR more significant a criticism than most Americans would realize (such as our retard-in-chief, who lectured Leningrad on the sacrifices of World War II).

You've got to remember, Putin's the child of a society that has a deep, strong cultural memory of invasions by "exceptional" societies such as the Nazis. It would be surprising if he didn't send that message, and it's FAR more significant a criticism than most Americans would realize (such as our retard-in-chief, who lectured Leningrad on the sacrifices of World War II).

American exceptionalism is a funny concept. In one hand we believe that our political framework and immigrant/melting pot society has fostered an environment conducive to excellence, innovation and achievement. And it has to a point. Favorable geography and natural resources also helped just a wee bit, but there's a case for American exceptionalism or at least there was.

This idea also coexists with a deep seeded underdog mentality even though we've been the biggest kid on the block for the last 50+ years. Still Americans look to Europe and their traditions as being more refined, more advanced. We hear about how our enemies are more determined, how China has overtaken us and India is knocking on the door.

We may talk about exceptionalism but I'm not sure most believe it, and I think thats probably a good thing. Hopefully we retain the underdog mentality forever.

American exceptionalism is a funny concept. In one hand we believe that our political framework and immigrant/melting pot society has fostered an environment conducive to excellence, innovation and achievement. And it has to a point. Favorable geography and natural resources also helped just a wee bit, but there's a case for American exceptionalism or at least there was.

This idea also coexists with a deep seeded underdog mentality even though we've been the biggest kid on the block for the last 50+ years. Still Americans look to Europe and their traditions as being more refined, more advanced. We hear about how our enemies are more determined, how China has overtaken us and India is knocking on the door.

We may talk about exceptionalism but I'm not sure most believe it, and I think thats probably a good thing. Hopefully we retain the underdog mentality forever.

The problem is we look at our exceptionalism as what has made us great which is has. Much of the rest of the world views our exceptionalism as arrogance which it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The problem is we look at our exceptionalism as what has made us great which is has. Much of the rest of the world views our exceptionalism as arrogance which it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not according to the POTUS. Remember the speech about how we are "arrogant" during the "World Apology Tour" in 2009?

BTW, I fully expected Putin's mouthpieces to come up with the exact op-ed that was penned. Take out Syria and insert Vietnam, change the writer to Nikita or Leo, and you have an exact same copy. I'm sure the speechwriters didn't have to go deep in the archives to edit the sequel. And of course, the polite society will sop up the dovish tone of the hunky Russian.

Meanwhile, [cough] Georgia ... [cough] Chechnya... [cough]

BTW, I fully expected Putin's mouthpieces to come up with the exact op-ed that was penned. Take out Syria and insert Vietnam, change the writer to Nikita or Leo, and you have an exact same copy. I'm sure the speechwriters didn't have to go deep in the archives to edit the sequel. And of course, the polite society will sop up the dovish tone of the hunky Russian.

Meanwhile, [cough] Georgia ... [cough] Chechnya... [cough]

Say what you will about the Russians and Mr. Putin in particular. This reaching out is unprecedented. Surly our country and our leaders cannot ignore this gesture from the Russian government. We, at the very least, should meet this offer in sincerity and in the hope, that something good and lasting will come of the discussions between our two nations. The stakes are far too high to let this moment over take either one of our nations. Put aside mistrust and bad feeling for the moment, and try find and do something positive for the world. The killing needs to stop. We really can live in peace with each other if only we would really try.

nternational diplomacy is certainly preferable to military intervention. I applaud President Putin for bringing the conversation to a higher level. Additionally, the proposed solution is far more likely to yield real results that any limited military strike would. If the real objective in this situation is Chemical Weapon Stockpiles, then certainly it is more sensible to dismantle and destroy the stockpiles under the scrutiny of organized international verification, then to vainly attempt to deter and degrade the Syrian Government's military capability with the vague hope that "they won't do it again."

Again, Bravo President Putin.

After BO's slapping down of America by denying our exceptionalism, the Presidential lap dog Jay CarneyBarker is swinging in the sarin-laced political winds weakly protesting virile President Putin's characterization that America is indeed unexceptional.

It's like a middle school debate: Am not! Am too! Am not! Am too!

Romney would have the Syrians building tanks for Israel by now. And we're saddled with this Putz for another three years with no hope in sight because there's a hag waiting in the wings that'll slip into his seat and cackle at us for another eight years while her husband gets BJs from fat broads and she does laps at the Y.

No, still in Moscow. Google it.

OK. Now I've googed it. The references are for the city node of Mumbai which is the most desirable to live in, and for a bridge which connects Mumbai to mainland India.

I then googled vashi moscow, and google suggested I was actually searching for sushi moscow, and vesti moscow.

Help me out here.

OK. Now I've googed it. The references are for the city node of Mumbai which is the most desirable to live in, and for a bridge which connects Mumbai to mainland India.

I then googled vashi moscow, and google suggested I was actually searching for sushi moscow, and vesti moscow.

Help me out here.

Nashi - "ours" in Russian

Vashi - "yours" in Russian