Putin Op-Ed in the NY Times

dayman

http://www.nytimes.c...a-on-syria.html

A Plea for Caution From Russia

By VLADIMIR V. PUTIN

Published: September 11, 2013

MOSCOW — RECENT events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, you're telling me you aren't going to read on?

Edited by SameOldBills

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, no. But if thought I was a productive op-ed, despite the buried line claiming the rebels did the gas attack. Not saying I support the entire document, but I thought the point about strong international law being the best deterrent for nuclear proliferation was decent.

Also, I don't get the impression he really thinks Assad didn't gas those people, I get a thinly veiled message that he basically hates terrorists more than gas and thinks the opposition is a majority terrorist movement.

Edited by SameOldBills

Putin's KGB experience is as an influence is overblown, anyway.

Everything is overblown, But is that really more overblown than anything else? Not so sure. I would say it is pretty important, even if it was most influential in how he ended up feeling/seeing things in the 90s (and how that shapes his current outlook) as opposed to directly influencing how he thinks now.

Haha, no. But if thought I was a productive op-ed, despite the buried line claiming the rebels did the gas attack. Not saying I support the entire document, but I thought the point about strong international law being the best deterrent for nuclear proliferation was decent.

Also, I don't get the impression he really thinks Assad didn't gas those people, I get a thinly veiled message that he basically hates terrorists more than gas and thinks the opposition is a majority terrorist movement.

I don't know i guess i have a hard time taking anything he says seriously. I may dislike bho but i think deep down he cares about his fellow man.

I've heard many stories from my russian colleagues about putin (from his youth) and i can't get passed it.

Really? I didn't catch more than a slight whiff of the Lubyanka.

Putin's KGB experience is as an influence is overblown, anyway.

From my vantage, it has always seemed to instruct him.

I don't know i guess i have a hard time taking anything he says seriously. I may dislike bho but i think deep down he cares about his fellow man.

I've heard many stories from my russian colleagues about putin (from his youth) and i can't get passed it.

Putin's own youth or the Nashi?

Care to share? Obviously, none of this could be sourced, but I won't ask you too. That's not why I'm asking. Honest curiosity.

I heard one where he used to drive around in the poorest Russian villages with stretch limos music blaring to taunt the poor.

I heard one where he used to drive around in the poorest Russian villages with stretch limos music blaring to taunt the poor.

It's worse than that, I heard the music he used to blare was......."Do They Know its Christmas" by Band-Aid