Manuel's first TD pass was his call

Beerball

I listened to Murphy's show on the way back home yesterday. Woods was one of his guests. They talked about the TD yadda yadda yadda. What I found interesting is that Woods said the receiver in Manuel's helmet went out (or crowd noise was too loud) so he called the play that went for a TD. It was the exact same play that they had just run when Manuel hit Chandler down the seam. One play, two receivers, two very nice results.

My question is, knowing this, did Manuel freeze up and call the only play that came into his mind, or was it brilliance?

Brilliance! Of course.

EJ has more offensive intelligence than Hackett. ;)

In all seriousness - if what we're hearing here is really true - WTF Hackett???

Well he is a little older. I think EJ is 23 and Hackett looks like he around 14.

And EJ looks 30. Actually, the first time my college-age son saw Manuel as a senior on the FSU sideline, he exclaimed - "how the heck old is that guy - he looks almost 30!?"

The call was brilliance. Now the REAL question is do we let the kid call his own which kid do we let call the plays?

:rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

In all seriousness - if what we're hearing here is really true - WTF Hackett???

And EJ looks 30. Actually, the first time my college-age son saw Manuel as a senior on the FSU sideline, he exclaimed - "how the heck old is that guy - he looks almost 30!?"

He also carries himself older. I can't imagine handling his business the way he did last year while starting as a QB on a national championship contender. He's so impressive.

He also carries himself older. I can't imagine handling his business the way he did last year while starting as a QB on a national championship contender. He's so impressive.

His demeanor and maturity make him appear older, plus he is very clean cut and has a professional, serious nature.

I'm assuming (yeah, I know) that Hackett scripts the first 15-25 plays or so. That being the case, and knowing how NE defended Chandler earlier on in the middle, I gotta believe Hackett advised Manuel when he saw a certain look again to take his shot. This is good on many levels.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok, so Hackett starts off with a series of plays, designed to point out what the defense is doing and what matchups they like, then give Manuel free rein? I like that concept.

The call was brilliance. Now the REAL question is do we let the kid call his own plays?

Not yet, but with a game under his belt they should give him some more freedom. I think he can handle it. Hopefully those deep throws will improve with more reps with receivers. If he can improve on that, we will be dangerous.

Ok, so Hackett starts off with a series of plays, designed to point out what the defense is doing and what matchups they like, then give Manuel free rein? I like that concept.

Well, that's the idea behind scripting plays to start the game.

I don't know if EJ has free reign, exactly, but it's nice to know he has a green light to change when he sees something he likes. Also nice to know Woods and Stevie are savvy enough to be on the same page, vis a vis coverages they see as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I listened to Murphy's show on the way back home yesterday. Woods was one of his guests. They talked about the TD yadda yadda yadda. What I found interesting is that Woods said the receiver in Manuel's helmet went out (or crowd noise was too loud) so he called the play that went for a TD. It was the exact same play that they had just run when Manuel hit Chandler down the seam. One play, two receivers, two very nice results.

My question is, knowing this, did Manuel freeze up and call the only play that came into his mind, or was it brilliance?

this is actually quite common in a read option system where the plays are the same but the focus may be on different receivers. Everythin is the same but one play is a straight run, one play is a QB run, aand two other plays are throws to different receivers.

I believe I also heard Murph or Marrone say that the TD throw to Stevie was an audible call by EJ.

I saw that at the stadium. After he looked over the coverage he walked back to the line to call what looked like an audible. That was the thing that impressed me the most. Thanks for the confirmation!! That has me feeling pretty positive about his knowledge of the offense and confidence in his abilities.

I saw that at the stadium. After he looked over the coverage he walked back to the line to call what looked like an audible. That was the thing that impressed me the most. Thanks for the confirmation!! That has me feeling pretty positive about his knowledge of the offense and confidence in his abilities.

Noticed the same thing as I watched the game again on NFL Rewind. Bodes very well for EJ's career moving forward.