Just My Take

H2o

Yes, we lost the opener at home to the Pats*. Yes they kicked a last second FG after driving on the defense late. Overall, the defensive scheme was light years ahead of last year. People have to take into account, before you want to piss and moan about it all, that we were without Gilmore and Byrd as well. I was encouraged by EJ because he is CLEARLY the future of the franchise. This was his 1st NFL start and he is only going to get better. I think that Hackett and Marrone will get away from the vanilla offense also as we progress through the year. Two coaches against the Belicheat led Pats*, opening day, and @ the Ralph? I'm sure they were a little uptight and we still were in the game, even when it looked like we may get blown out early. So despite all of the doom and gloom after one last second FG, cries from fans who honestly "think" they could run a team better, and all things considered I am still encouraged by this team.

Edited by H2o

One thing I have noticed that is both good and bad is that EJ tends to start off a little slowly but he tends to shake it off and really get into a groove later. I know the sample size is small at this point (we have seen a total of 7 quarters from the guy?) but no turnovers and a calm confidence that is not cocky. He doesn't panic. It could be bad if we play a team that scores a lot early and EJ has to play from behind and throw the whole game, especially with the no huddle. That is what scares me. We really need to commit to the run to open things up for him. We have the guys to do it.

The only thing that prevented the Bills from getting "blown out/blown out early" were the turnovers that the Patriots made due to their own sloppy play.
Really? And how did the Patriots score their points? Their only touchdowns came after gift fumbles from Spiller and Goodwin, deep in Bills territory. Without help from "sloppy play", New England offense only scored NINE points all game. And I'm not even counting the lopsided, back-breaking penalties.

The score really dosn't tell the whole story. The Patriots dominated the time of possession. They were better in the passing game and better in the running game. Buffalo is lucky to not be blown out in this game. They probably make DeAngelo Williams look like Adrian Peterson next week. Penalties and turnovers are the same story as last season. Tiring is an understatement. I am very optimistic about EJ Manuel and the defense looks like they will bring more pressure, but the turnovers have to stop.

Their only touchdowns came after gift fumbles from Spiller and Goodwin, deep in Bills territory.

The two turnovers that Buffalo gave away were forced turnovers created by the Patriots defense.

The three turnovers that NE gave away were unforced turnovers created by the Patriots offense.

Huge difference.

Some of you guys are expecting way too much from this team so soon. You're criticizing every play like its going to happen constantly. This team is young, the coaching staff is young, it will take time. This is not a Superbowl winning team. Overall, they played okay for the opening game of the season against the dreaded Patriots*, and yes, the Pats* will still be Division champs when this season is over. Some of you think they should have played the perfect game yesterday, give them a break. New coaching staff, new QB, who barely played in the preseason, young receivers and secondary. There was a lot to pleased about for the future of this team.

My biggest concern was the penalties. Penalties MUST stop.

Some of you guys are expecting way too much from this team so soon. You're criticizing every play like its going to happen constantly. This team is young, the coaching staff is young, it will take time. This is not a Superbowl winning team. Overall, they played okay for the opening game of the season against the dreaded Patriots*, and yes, the Pats* will still be Division champs when this season is over. Some of you think they should have played the perfect game yesterday, give them a break. New coaching staff, new QB, who barely played in the preseason, young receivers and secondary. There was a lot to pleased about for the future of this team.

I agree with everything here. Also, breaks happen in football games. Good and bad.

Despite the loss I'm very optimistic. For the first time in a long time it seems the Bills have themselves a QB. I agree that penalties need to be cleaned up. The defense looks better but still having a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down. A few too many long 3rd down conversions for my liking. But overall I like the direction the team is now going.

One must be a realist and always look to the future with this team.

An entertaining loss is still a loss.

Hear they are "headed in the right direction" a lot...would that direction be toward double digit W's anytime soon?

If Gostkowski misses the game winning field goal, I wonder what the reaction around this place would be. Not Bills stopped them on the winning drive, or Stevie makes the catch, but everything happens exactly the same but they miss the FG.