Encouraging signs on D

Here are mine:

1) No Byrd, no Gilmore, and the secondary held up fairly well. Certainly Brady looks better with Gronk and Welker, but it was still Brady and he will still get his completions.

I don't think they played lights out by any means, but when these two get back I think NE will have an even harder time with this defense next time out, especially with Byrd to help out in run support.

2) There were different players in the backfield all the time making Brady uncomfortable. I know people want to call out Dareus and WIlliams^2, but on passing plays there was a team effort to get some push against a tough line. If Carrington can more consistently play to his level I think they could do some damage.

3) Young LBs will get burned but Alonso looks like a guy who hits hard and is opportunistic. As with Manuel, the game did not look too big for him considering they opened up against one of the more formidable opponents in the league.

4) Almost goes without saying, but the same guys can look like different players in the hands of a guy like Pettine.

Brady did a lot of dunk and dink. With someone as accurate and composed as Brady, that can be hard to stop. But until the final drive, Brady was barely completing 50% of his passes. Even without Byrd and Gilmore in the game. I was encouraged.

Some dink and dunk, yes, but I want to know how you strategize against those perfect down the middle passes thrown to Amendola. Beautiful throws by Brady and awesome effort by the receiver. Sometimes as a fan you just have to admit the other guy is very, very good.

My guess is you just beat the crap out of Amendola within the first 5 yards of the LOS, but easier said than done.

The defense looks night and day from last year.

As expected, the Pats* RB's went right up the gut a couple a times, but that's what they do.

On the long run to set up the field goal, Carrington missed him for a four yard loss by about 3 inches. Would have backed them up to 50+ with the clock still running. Would have changed the ending. Not necessarily saying the Bills would have won. But it would have been a lot more interesting.

The defense looks night and day from last year.

As expected, the Pats* RB's went right up the gut a couple a times, but that's what they do.

On the long run to set up the field goal, Carrington missed him for a four yard loss by about 3 inches. Would have backed them up to 50+ with the clock still running. Would have changed the ending. Not necessarily saying the Bills would have won. But it would have been a lot more interesting.

We call that Classic Bills Tackling®.

Here are mine:

1) No Byrd, no Gilmore, and the secondary held up fairly well. Certainly Brady looks better with Gronk and Welker, but it was still Brady and he will still get his completions.

I don't think they played lights out by any means, but when these two get back I think NE will have an even harder time with this defense next time out, especially with Byrd to help out in run support.

2) There were different players in the backfield all the time making Brady uncomfortable. I know people want to call out Dareus and WIlliams^2, but on passing plays there was a team effort to get some push against a tough line. If Carrington can more consistently play to his level I think they could do some damage.

3) Young LBs will get burned but Alonso looks like a guy who hits hard and is opportunistic. As with Manuel, the game did not look too big for him considering they opened up against one of the more formidable opponents in the league.

4) Almost goes without saying, but the same guys can look like different players in the hands of a guy like Pettine.

Agreed. I was most interested in how the D would do this game. I set the bar at 30 points. The Pats averaged 40 over the past 6 games, so I was looking to see if they could hold them to less than 30. They exceeded my goal. Yes, Brady didn't have Gronk, but that was offset by the Bills not having Gilmore.

I'm very optimistic about this defense keeping the Bills in games until the O can come together.

Btw, one thing I noticed, it seemed Moats had more playing time than Bradham, and in place of Bradham. Anyone confirm this?

Agreed. I was most interested in how the D would do this game. I set the bar at 30 points. The Pats averaged 40 over the past 6 games, so I was looking to see if they could hold them to less than 30. They exceeded my goal. Yes, Brady didn't have Gronk, but that was offset by the Bills not having Gilmore.

I'm very optimistic about this defense keeping the Bills in games until the O can come together.

Btw, one thing I noticed, it seemed Moats had more playing time than Bradham, and in place of Bradham. Anyone confirm this?

Can't confirm, but I wouldn't be surprised if Moats did get more PT. He is a better player.

The fact that their only touchdowns were set up by turnovers was very encouraging to me.

I was so proud of the defense, esp with Gilmore and Byrd out, it was extra gut-wrenching not the get the win. Even Colin Cowherd said Buffalo looked pretty good yesterday. He put them in the tier of "lost, but show promise."

We call that Classic Bills Tackling®.

Disagree there. When the play happened, it looked like he just missed him, but on the replay (taken from behind the LOS), it becomes clear that he at least a yard away from Vereen, who is in fact faster than Carrington. It wasn't as close as it initially looked.

Disagree there. When the play happened, it looked like he just missed him, but on the replay (taken from behind the LOS), it becomes clear that he at least a yard away from Vereen, who is in fact faster than Carrington. It wasn't as close as it initially looked.

Fair enough.

The fact that their only touchdowns were set up by turnovers was very encouraging to me.

Agreed. Call it lucky or call it what you will, but that goal line stop and turnover was a big momentum-shifter and the offense fed off of it. Past Bills teams don't even create those chances for themselves in that situation. They got scored on. Period.

And no TD's in 2nd half. On that last drive, those completions were incredible throws and perfectly caught balls. The coverage was there,

Brady just threw perfect passes and Amendola made some insanely great catches. 1 even skinned off 1 od DL fingers and he STILL caught the ball and a 3rd down. If this dude stays healthy, he is BETTER than Welker. His hands are superior and is faster.

I think considering the Defense was on the field for most of the game they played very well. The last drive they just ran out of gas to no fault of their own. I think this hurry up offense has it's positive's and negative's and the negative is the offense not getting first downs and giving the D enough time to rest. That being said I love that they are aggressive and much more physical than expected.

To hold Brady to barely over 50% completions, be in his face all day and only give up 4.8 yards per play on 89!! Offensive plays against, I don't think we could have hoped for much more...they did very well for most of the game.

Sure there were a few big runs but they also bottled them up pretty good as well many times.

Fair enough.

Agreed. Call it lucky or call it what you will, but that goal line stop and turnover was a big momentum-shifter and the offense fed off of it. Past Bills teams don't even create those chances for themselves in that situation. They got scored on. Period.

Yeah Alonso really laid a lick on the ball carrier on that play, it was loud, violent and they even replayed it a few times cause the collission was so loud even on TV