Pro Football Focus Breakdown of Patriots @ Bills

26CornerBlitz

One helluva top 5 with Newton, Miller, Green, and Peterson. Dareus is simply not playing on the level of these guys and it's very disappointing.

So I just went back and checked out that draft for the Bills. Holy crap was that ever blown. Good night

How'd Miller do against the Ravens?

You deserve an award for most ridiculous cop out of the day.

And one illegal hands to the face penalty, which negated a big catch by Woods.

Oops. Forgot that one. Yep, cut him...he sucks

So I just went back and checked out that draft for the Bills. Holy crap was that ever blown. Good night

You deserve an award for most ridiculous cop out of the day.

Really? No reason to be concerned about Miller at all I guess. He's the ideal NFL LB.

I'm not saying Dareus played perfect or even great, but to call him a bust and bemoan the fact that we didn't get a very good LB that also has his own not insignificant issues is borderline retarded.

Why do many idiots around here seem to think that a player is either an All Pro or a bust?

only one of these is not like the others...

#1- Cam Newton

#2- Von Miller

#3- Marcel Dareus

#4- A J Green

#5- Patrick Peterson

#6- Julio Jones

#7- Aldon Smith

#11- J J Watt

all are pro bowl players except Dareus

I was praying we would take AJ that yr... Its so rare to find a WR so pro-ready with his sjill sey and speed. He is the BEST WR in the NFL. Megatron gets more pub but this dude is money....

only one of these is not like the others...

#1- Cam Newton

#2- Von Miller

#3- Marcel Dareus

#4- A J Green

#5- Patrick Peterson

#6- Julio Jones

#7- Aldon Smith

#11- J J Watt

all are pro bowl players except Dareus

itll be interesting to see how a few go long term.... Aldon smith seems to have trouble follow him, miller has his obvious issues, and cam while very talented has yet to really win/lead. dareus was a relatively safe pick but has had 3 schemes in 3 years, personal off the field issues etc -- its possible in a few more years with stability and good coaching that he may look better than a couple of those guys.

or he may keep struggling.

From what I recall, we were going to take Von Miller had he dropped to us. He didn't and we filled a need with what most experts said was an excellent pick. JJ Watt and Aldon Smith have played amazing football, but they are both on otherwise strong defenses. Those calls for illegal hands to the face are unfortunate, and I wish there was a simulcast on these plays to see the timing of the flags v. the passes being completed. Seriously, I believe the flags came out when the ref saw the completion.

You know I m not sure if you pay for PFF but I keyed on Colin Brown's play (and yes he did have problems with Jones) but he was good in PassPro though out the rest of the game. I actually thought he gave up less pressure than Glenn, who looked a little pedestrian and slow yesterday. His run blocking was so, so but he was blocking the big guy..... I expect he gives a lot of LGs trouble. Wilford was handled by Wood and Brown pretty well is my point here. Those stats don't tell the true story.

The real problem was running inside and I am not sure it was on the oline as much as NE* seeing we were going to run CJ that way and keep trying it over and over. They really keyed on him and he isn't great up the gut, with out a FB lead.

And as far as Marcel, (and Kyle) he made plays.

I do think there is people behind him that need to do that, as well.

The D was okay yesterday, yes they gave up some yardage and tired out before the game was done but the front 7 really made the Dbs look better than they were and Brady was on his ass quite a bit.

We needed a DT, so I don't fault the pick much. Sucks that he hasn't turned out very well so far though. :(

he was a tough one - the old need vs talent value vs positional value

PP7 and green were even in foresight more talented players, but he was also a great DT prospect and sometimes a harder body to find. we also needed a DT a lot more at the time (though both of those guys wouldve been big upgrades). i think on any reasonable assembly of the bills board it was at worst neck and neck between the 3 guys. hard to fault them for it not working as well as hoped.

the comparisons to julio, aldon smith, and watt arent all that fair. we were drafting at 3 and there were only about 5 guys in the discussion with 2 already taken. dareus was the best DT, and was up against the best WR, and CB by the time we picked.

I was praying we would take AJ that yr... Its so rare to find a WR so pro-ready with his sjill sey and speed. He is the BEST WR in the NFL. Megatron gets more pub but this dude is money....

AJ Green is a once in a decade-type talent at WR...If there was no Megatron, who is the best WR I've ever seen (and I'm old so I've see most of them), Green would clearly be the top WR in the NFL...It is a bit sad that the Bills could not see that when comparing his potential impact to Dareus...But in their defense they were not alone...And I think with #99 we forget the kind of athlete he was coming out at 318 lbs...He was incredibly athletic, his measurables were mostly off the charts, and he came from a winning program where he was a major contributor...All signs pointed to Dareus being a very safe pick...But like I said...That was Dareus at 318 lbs...He has never been anywhere close to that light since, and it's JMO, but I think that factor alone has stunted his NFL production big time... B-)

The Dareus pick looked like a great one at the time...no way to know he'd show up 25 lbs overweight for his first NFL camp and never get back down to his combine weight. I know many of us wanted Von Miller, but he wasn't there for the taking. I also know a few of us that said we'd be excited about JJ Watt, but I don't remember anyone saying they wanted him explicitly over Dareus (and this is coming from the one guy that was the biggest Watt booster on the board pre-draft). Looking back on it to this point, we appear to be the only team in the top 7 that didn't get an all-pro caliber player. That could change, but based on Dareus' play yesterday I'm not holding my breath. Guy's gotta shed some weight and start making plays consistently.

Side story: my buddy mentors a high-school kid that works at a fast-food chain near the stadium. He told me last year the kid said he always knew when practice let out because Marcel would come in and order $15 worth of food. Hope that's not/no longer true.