Let's turn to Carolina... a few thoughts

YoloinOhio

Penalties, fumbles, dropping open passes, not over pursuing, etc.

Against Cam that is my biggest concern. We looked terrible in the preseason against running QBs, and yesterday there were several instances of failed contain, which when compounded by missed tackles usually leads to a bad day on defense.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Carolina's D really didn't let Seattle move the ball for much of the game and completely shut down Lynch. Wilson ended up with 300 yds but most was at the end, where he pulled out the win when he needed to. That is what teams like Seattle do, but I worry about the Bills in the same situation. Although, I trust EJ in that situation at home. No, he didn't get it done on the 3 and out that gave it back to Brady, but I put that on the coaching staff. I know Marrone said in his PC that the amoiunt of time left he felt we needed to score -- but I think you can accomplish that with a slower pace to eat up clock. Don't get that. Also, Seattle was without 3 defensive starters yesterday against the Panthers including a DE and CB and yet Panthers still weren't able to do much on Offense, at home... so that is encouraging.

Against Cam that is my biggest concern. We looked terrible in the preseason against running QBs, and yesterday there were several instances of failed contain, which when compounded by missed tackles usually leads to a bad day on defense.

The last two mobile QBs the Bills played that I remember, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernik, it was an absolute disaster. So here's to hoping Pettine can make a difference as this is a whole new D. I didn't see the game so can't commment on over-pursuing, but know that Cam will be a challenge. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

1. Cam Newton is a very, very talented QB/athlete. But, he is not a winner (yet) and he is NOT Tom Brady. Meaning, he may put up better stats than Bady and certainly more mobile, but when Brady got the ball back at the end of the game you just knew he would win it. You don't get that sense with Newton. Being at home, I think we can take advantage of his insecurities.

2. Carolina's WRS are waaay better than NE's. Secondary better be just as good if not better next week.

3. Carolina's D is underrated. Keuchly is a beast at MLB. Playcalling needs to get better and I would like to see EJ run more. He said he is 110%, so I hope they aren't holding back

4. Ted Ginn is a monster KR. ST better be on their game or it could be the difference.

5. Marrone obviously was outcoached in this game, but it was his first as a HC in the NFL and he was going against the best. That will not be the case next week.

6. While I agree the penalties were disastrous, I truly think the refs got some of them wrong and missed holding on Kyle W and Mario more than once. While that needs to get cleaned up, I am not actually sure that in a game not involving Brady some of those don't go our way.

GO Bills!!!!

Newton is not even close to the QB that Brady is so right there this should be more of an even game on paper. I watched Carolina at Baltimore in preseason and their D is totally underrated. Not to mention how they held Seattle in check all day yesterday. I think their D better than NE's defense so EJ and company will have it tough. Winnable game but the Bills will need to open it up a little and get some explosive plays. I think the Bills will win but a close loss would not surprise me a bit. I'm sure Carolina is coming up here thinking this is their game. The Bills are a winnable game for everyone!

Did anyone actually watch the game yesterday between Carolina and Seattle? It looked pretty brutal, and while Wilson moved the ball, he struggled to score. Lynch did a whole lot of nothing too, it seemed.

I saw some of it on Red Zone. Like I said, Carolina's D is for real and therefore Lynch did nothing and RW didn't move the ball until the end when he had to. But I attribute some of that to the cross-country trip and early game, which can affect teams a lot. Carolina's offense really hasn't looked good throughout the PS either, but they do have some talent.

Did anyone actually watch the game yesterday between Carolina and Seattle? It looked pretty brutal, and while Wilson moved the ball, he struggled to score. Lynch did a whole lot of nothing too, it seemed.

Wilson got the crap kicked out him. Knocked down a lot. Carolina brings a lot of pressure with their front four. EJ should be ready to scramble.

The last two mobile QBs the Bills played that I remember, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernik, it was an absolute disaster. So here's to hoping Pettine can make a difference as this is a whole new D. I didn't see the game so can't commment on over-pursuing, but know that Cam will be a challenge.

The Bills played against Alex Smith last year, not Kaepernick.

The Jets' D performed terribly against both the Niners and Seahawks last years, losing 34-0 and 28-7. They gave up huge rushing yardage in both games (247 to the Niners and 211 to Seattle).

The Bills played against Alex Smith last year, not Kaepernick.

The Jets' D performed terribly against both the Niners and Seahawks last years, losing 34-0 and 28-7. They gave up huge rushing yardage in both games (247 to the Niners and 211 to Seattle).

Good thing we don't play those teams this year! :)

Weird you say that-- I thought the defense looked really fast and strong today. This was a defense on the field for like 70% of the day against the best QB in football-- thought they looked solid.

I would agree with you, the only thing is, there were stilled a lot of missed tackles out there. We did a better job of not allowing

To many of those long rip off chunks of yardage, and seemed to have many plays were we had the RBI in the backfield only

To let him escape and churn a few more yards, we have to get better at that.

Edited by Tu-Toned

There is nothing about Carolina's offense that scares me. I don't really see how their receivers are better than New England's. It's marginal at best. Steve Smith is great but aging and really didn't put up great numbers last year. Other than that I see no names on the depth chart. I like their improvements on D, but only to the point that I think we are pretty evenly matched.

I fully expect a win.

Not a blowout, but a win.

There is for me.

Cam Newton running all over the place. This will be a good test for Pettine

CBF

Maybe I'm projecting, but I think getting a win is extremely important for our players next week. If we start 0-2, I can see some players thinking "same-old-bills", and half-assing it around the field.

id normally say give it time but some of the quotes from players werent what you hope to hear.

The Panthers will move the ball on us, but the Key is forcing Cam Newton into bad decisions that will lead to turnovers. Also to clamp down in the Redzone and force field goals. I think special teams will have to have some excellent returns.

Edited by bisonbrigade

There is nothing about Carolina's offense that scares me. I don't really see how their receivers are better than New England's. It's marginal at best. Steve Smith is great but aging and really didn't put up great numbers last year. Other than that I see no names on the depth chart. I like their improvements on D, but only to the point that I think we are pretty evenly matched.

I fully expect a win.

Not a blowout, but a win.

Steve Smith and Ted Ginn are an upgrade from Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola at the WR position and Greg Olsen is an upgrade at TE from Sudfeld. Ginn may have bounced around, but in Miami he wasn't a reliable WR and in SF they were stacked and didn't need him. But his speed is world-class and that cannot be forgotten, esp on returns. He cannot be caught in the open field.

Maybe as the game went on that was the case, but I attribute that to fatigue. I recall a number of lateral runs by the Patriots in the first half, where we had DB's and LB's blow the play up. The other issue though is Brady-- having to key in on him will always make you susceptible to some surprise runs.

Defense was way better than last year already...numerous runs got blown up, yes there were a few bug runs but all teams give those up once in a while.

Pats had 431 yards but it took them 89 plays to get those, which is under 5 yards per play. Last year Bills were giving up those type of yards on 55 or 60 plays...

Night and day difference...Brady looked very flustered back there for much of the day and they had a lot of pressures and near sacks...

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. However, Seattle always lays an egg during the first half or 3 quarters when they play a 1 o'clock game on the east coast.