Let's give Stevie Johnson some negative attention

davspo

Made it up!? Did you read his comments? Have you read this thread?

He did?!?!?!?

"It looked like the play should have been made, but with my extending how I did, it was like my length just got my hands on the ball. I felt like it was harder than it was, what really happened," Johnson said. "Looking at the film, yeah, I was wide open. I beat the guy ... It was tougher than what it looked."

Johnson was open in the left flat after beating his defender on third-and-1. With 8:50 remaining in the game, the Bills punted to the Patriots, although they were unable to turn Johnson's drop into any points.

"At the end of the day, it's a drop," Johnson admitted.

"The reaction is as expected. Everybody placing blame on me. It's OK. I felt like I put myself in that position," Johnson said Monday. "But that's not me putting on a front for anybody. Pretty much being who they've grown to love. I feel like there's no one who can guard me. Obviously it showed, but when you don't win a game, that's when you get that negative attention, and I deserve it."

As for "leaving his teammates out to dry and to deal with the press" as people have put it in this thread...

Johnson did not speak to reporters after Sunday's loss, departing the locker room shortly after the game's end.

"Me being here for the amount of time that I've been here, it was just something personal against that team, I guess," he said. "It ended in the same way. That was my frustration. Nothing with anybody, nothing with any play. We know that you can't have a great game every week. Every play isn't going to be perfect. The game, it can go either way, and I felt like we've been to this point too many times. It is what it is and they came in and took one from us. We'll be ready for them next time."

Added Johnson: "I take every [loss] personally. I hate to lose. We deal with losing in different ways. I have to be better about it. I don't think I'll ever grow accustomed to losing games."

What does the coach think of Stevie? Well let him tell you....

Marrone said it will be important for Johnson to not dwell on Sunday's performance.

"I know how much that weighs on him. My philosophy has always been, when you have a player that every single day comes out here and works and the player likes Stevie, and all the things that he's done, you have to come back to that player," Marrone said. "We have a lot of faith in him. There is not a player in this league that hasn't dropped a football. If you haven't, that means you haven't gotten a lot of balls thrown to you.

"I have the utmost confidence in Stevie. He takes those things hard. What he has to do is, and he knows this, is you have to shake it off and come back and make a play. And he will."

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made it up!? Did you read his comments? Have you read this thread?

I read the article in The Buffalo News. Where did he say it was a "poorly thrown ball"? Maybe I missed that quote. Is it there? If it is then it's my bad, if not then that was low of you to say infer that he said something like that.

Edited by 1billsfan

I read the article in The Buffalo News. Where did he say it a "poorly thrown ball"? Maybe I missed that quote. Is it there? If it is then it's my bad, if not then that was low of you to say infer that he said something like that.

His own words can be interpreted however you like. But to insinuate that no BIlls fan has made the claim is utterly false.

His own words can be interpreted however you like. But to insinuate that no BIlls fan has made the claim is utterly false.

I must've made your blocked list because I put his exact quotes in my post.... You know the quote where he says "At the end of the day, it's a drop,"

Please tell me which words which came out of his mouth can be interpreted that him saying it was a "poorly thrown ball".

As for this thread I've only read a small portion of it.

Please tell me which words which came out of his mouth can be interpreted that him saying it was a "poorly thrown ball".

As for this thread I've only read a small portion of it.

Well, it's the latter that has me more hung up. In spite of what people here will have you believe, I'm not on a crusade against Stevie. I'll only get agitated when he legitimately does/says something that's stupid. Yesterday, the words that became the focal point were "it was harder than it looked" (or something to that effect). If he said that, and if it's not being taken out of context--though it seems it might have been--that sounds like him trying to absolve himself of the blame.

So, if he owned up to it, good. I looked for the full presser yesterday, it wasn't posted, only the buffalobills.com extracted (read: edited/approved) excerpts. If more has been posted since, I honestly haven't looked for it.

But, again, this stemmed from the "Fitz excuse is over." Well, if you read the first few pages of this thread, you'll see that it was very much alive and well, that the drop was due to a poorly thrown ball.

Well, it's the latter that has me more hung up. In spite of what people here will have you believe, I'm not on a crusade against Stevie. I'll only get agitated when he legitimately does/says something that's stupid. Yesterday, the words that became the focal point were "it was harder than it looked" (or something to that effect). If he said that, and if it's not being taken out of context--though it seems it might have been--that sounds like him trying to absolve himself of the blame.

So, if he owned up to it, good. I looked for the full presser yesterday, it wasn't posted, only the buffalobills.com extracted (read: edited/approved) excerpts. If more has been posted since, I honestly haven't looked for it.

But, again, this stemmed from the "Fitz excuse is over." Well, if you read the first few pages of this thread, you'll see that it was very much alive and well, that the drop was due to a poorly thrown ball.

So from "it (catching the ball) was harder than it looked" you got "it was a poorly thrown ball"? Really?

Please, look at the play again. Stevie chucked his man hard and was trying to back up to speed and get to the spot. He didn't quite get there. That's what he was obviously referring to. There are plays where no one's at "fault" and that the players just missed on the execution.

So from "it (catching the ball) was harder than it looked" you got "it was a poorly thrown ball"? Really?

Please, look at the play again. Stevie chucked his man hard and was trying to back up to speed and get to the spot. He didn't quite get there. That's what he was obviously referring to. There are plays where no one's at "fault" and that the players just missed on the execution.

And again, I'm not that hung up on what Stevie did or didn't say. Your claim that Bills fans won't be making the quarterback excuse for Stevie any longer was wildly inaccurate.

9/8/2013 Bills 21 Patriots 20. 8:50 remaining in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 1 at BUF 49. Johnson drops 1st down and likely would have gotten close to FG range with a catch.

11/27/11 Jets 28 Bills 24. 0:35 remaining in the 4th quarter, 2nd and 13 at NYJ 47. Johnson drops 1st down at the 25 and would have likely scored a GW TD with a catch.

10/2/11 Bills 20 Bengals 13. 8:30 remaining in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 1 at the BUF 47. Johnson drops 1st down at the CIN 47. With catch, Buffalo moves close to FG range which would have made it a two score game. (To be fair, this was likely a blown call, cleaner catch leaves no doubt though.)

11/28/10 Bills 16 Steelers 16. 10:30 remaining it OT, 1st and 10 at the PIT 40. Johnson drops GW TD in the end zone. With catch, Buffalo wins in OT.

4 late game drops that had a pretty big effect swinging wins to losses.

And again, I'm not that hung up on what Stevie did or didn't say. Your claim that Bills fans won't be making the quarterback excuse for Stevie any longer was wildly inaccurate.

No, you just make !@#$ up and post it on this board as if Stevie Johnson actually did say "it was a poorly thrown ball".

As a Bills fan, I don't appreciate that kind of crap. I love me some Stevie Johnson and I'll be severely pissed off if idiot fans here run him out of town. He loves the Bills. he loves playing football and he's really good at it. When you have Byrd doing what he's doing, it's very hard for me to understand the trashing of Johnson by fans and even have them making stuff up. It's infuriating. Receivers drop balls, get over it or go route for a team who's star players never make a mistake.

Edited by 1billsfan

No, you just make !@#$ up and post it on this board as if Stevie Johnson actually did say "it was a poorly thrown ball".

As a Bills fan, I don't appreciate that kind of crap. I love me some Stevie Johnson and I'll be severely pissed off if idiot fans here run him out of town. He loves the Bills. he loves playing football and he's really good at it. When you have Byrd doing what he's doing, it very hard for me to understand the trashing by fans and even have them making stuff up. It's infuriating. Receivers drop balls, get over it or go route for a team who's star players never make a mistake.

I'm not making any **** up, bro. I'm really not. His words: it was harder than it looked. I've already rescinded any criticism if it was "taken out of context." So let me !@#$ing repeat it for you again: I'm more hung up on your claim that Bills fans don't excuse him by saying "it's not Stevie, it's the QB," when in fact they did...A LOT. But for some reason you're refusing to acknowledge this.

It's a shame that we can't have an open, honest discussion about the guy. It really is.

I'm not making any **** up, bro. I'm really not. His words: it was harder than it looked. I've already rescinded any criticism if it was "taken out of context." So let me !@#$ing repeat it for you again: I'm more hung up on your claim that Bills fans don't excuse him by saying "it's not Stevie, it's the QB," when in fact they did...A LOT. But for some reason you're refusing to acknowledge this.

It's a shame that we can't have an open, honest discussion about the guy. It really is.

I'm done arguing with you because IMO you're a lost cause.

Stevie chucked his man hard and was trying to back up to speed and get to the spot. He didn't quite get there. That's what he was obviously referring to.

In his press conference (8:00 minute mark of the video on buffalobills.com), Stevie's own words were: "I made the move, threw the guy off and was just waiting for the ball."

Personally I'm not sure if WAITING was the right word, but he definitely didn't say that the chuck caused him a problem on the route.

In his press conference (8:00 minute mark of the video on buffalobills.com), Stevie's own words were: "I made the move, threw the guy off and was just waiting for the ball."

Personally I'm not sure if WAITING was the right word, but he definitely didn't say that the chuck caused him a problem on the route.

I have since saw the SJ interview. He looked like a guy having trouble finding the right words to describe a bang bang play and the reason it failed. IMO nothing in that interview suggested he was throwing EJ under the bus.

Edited by 1billsfan

9/8/2013 Bills 21 Patriots 20. 8:50 remaining in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 1 at BUF 49. Johnson drops 1st down and likely would have gotten close to FG range with a catch.

11/27/11 Jets 28 Bills 24. 0:35 remaining in the 4th quarter, 2nd and 13 at NYJ 47. Johnson drops 1st down at the 25 and would have likely scored a GW TD with a catch.

10/2/11 Bills 20 Bengals 13. 8:30 remaining in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 1 at the BUF 47. Johnson drops 1st down at the CIN 47. With catch, Buffalo moves close to FG range which would have made it a two score game. (To be fair, this was likely a blown call, cleaner catch leaves no doubt though.)

11/28/10 Bills 16 Steelers 16. 10:30 remaining it OT, 1st and 10 at the PIT 40. Johnson drops GW TD in the end zone. With catch, Buffalo wins in OT.

4 late game drops that had a pretty big effect swinging wins to losses.

One such incidence is a mistake, but 4 times......with as few opportunities that the Bills actually get to win a close game..........is definitely a pattern.

He is a choke artist.

What is particularly disturbing is the relatively low stakes of these games compared to playoff games.

IMO, he simply can't take the pressure that he puts on himself with his self promoting antics.

None of those guys run their mouth. And when Stevie runs his mouth and I say he should really shut the !@#$ up until he stops making critical mistakes, then lemmings like you tell me to lighten up, I use moments like these to say 'I told you so.' Yet you still apologize for the guy.

HEY EASY ON US LEMMINGS ! BY GOSH DARNIT. oooh boy you guys make me soooo angry sometimes. we're just f'n lemmings . I think i need counseling now

Lesson for today is shut your mouth and let your play on the field do the talking for you. I like Stevie but the "all about me" attitude is tiring. I know it is a generational difference. I am over 50 years old and don't get the preening the young athletes do.

I agree with you . its not generational its a societal issue i bet.

Lesson for yesterday AND today is shut up and let your play do the talking . but Stevie has an agenda .

he can play football for sure

Walk The Walk Kid.

Edited by 3rdand12