The Read Option, The Future, or a Fad?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcat took the ball out of the QB, Read option doesn't. The read option is here to stay b.c it forces the LBers to freeze for a second. This will not be for every QB only the ones with run ability.

The read option is just as safe as any other play. No one has gotten injured off of it yet.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

itll all come down to if qbs can stay healthy. if 2-3 go down in september i think you see coaches get away from it. if the injury risk isnt as large as previously portrayed it may stick around.

Agreed. I think it will stay around until we start seeing quarterbacks with otherwise promising careers suffering injuries that are normally associated with running backs. Or when they start to hit a wall like a running back would in their career. Makes me wonder what I would rather have a traditional pocket qb that moves like Brady or someone like a Wilson or RGIII. The plays they make with their feet are great but look at what happens to your team when your qb takes a hit like RGIII which he didn't need to take. Run 'em if ya got 'em I guess.

Agreed. I think it will stay around until we start seeing quarterbacks with otherwise promising careers suffering injuries that are normally associated with running backs. Or when they start to hit a wall like a running back would in their career. Makes me wonder what I would rather have a traditional pocket qb that moves like Brady or someone like a Wilson or RGIII. The plays they make with their feet are great but look at what happens to your team when your qb takes a hit like RGIII which he didn't need to take. Run 'em if ya got 'em I guess.

Agreed too. My big question is whether option QBs actually get hit any harder or any more than pocket QBs with average offensive lines (regardless of whether they're sacked or not). Also, a lot of those QB running plays end up with the guy running out of bounds before getting hit.

Agreed too. My big question is whether option QBs actually get hit any harder or any more than pocket QBs with average offensive lines (regardless of whether they're sacked or not). Also, a lot of those QB running plays end up with the guy running out of bounds before getting hit.

It really is no different then a QB scramble. Remember RGII got hurt on a QB scramble not the read option.

I saw something on sportscenter this morning about it. Cam Newton was hit on 25% of his drop backs because of the designed run's for him. RGIII was 20% of the time.

It ends up putting your QB in dangerous situations if they aren't going to slide or go for the sidelines.

Yep. I heard a couple people in the off season suggest that the defenses are just going to try to drill the QB as many times as they can, even if it will let up some yards as he hands off, just to try to dissuade teams from running the play a lot and risking injuries. If that strategy starts to work, the read-option will go the way of the Wildcat.

Guys like Kaepernick and EJ are as big or bigger than RBs, so they really shouldn't get hurt very much as long as they don't overuse the play. Russell Wilson is very smart, compact, and is built way bigger than his size suggests. He doesn't take a lot of full hits and I don't really expect him to take a pounding either. RG3 is spectacular but relatively slender and I could easily see him getting hurt a lot running it. Some Qbs can absorb punishment and some can't. In the preseason, I think the Bills had Kolb run it one time and he looked pathetic. I don't really think teams should run that play except with players who can do it.

Yep. I heard a couple people in the off season suggest that the defenses are just going to try to drill the QB as many times as they can, even if it will let up some yards as he hands off, just to try to dissuade teams from running the play a lot and risking injuries. If that strategy starts to work, the read-option will go the way of the Wildcat.

Guys like Kaepernick and EJ and Newton are as big or bigger than RBs, so they really shouldnt get hurt that much. Russell Wilson is smart, compact and built bigger than he looks, I don't expect him to get abused running it. RG3 is spectacular but slender. He is more likely to get hurt, IMO. Teams that don't have guys that can run it should stay away from it. The Bills ran it once with Kolb in the game and he looked pathetic. That is a recipe for disaster.

The jury is out on how much teams will use it, if they will use it with the right guys, how much defenses risk long plays to set a precedent your QB is going to take a pounding, how the officials call those kinds of hits as penalties or not, and how many guys get knocked out of games this year. That will determine if it's a fad.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I'm leaning towards fad. It is clear that QBs can be hit if perceived as a threat to run. When enough of them are hit enough times and their games are effected as a result, there's gonna be less and less read option runs. I'll bet that DCs are right now telling DEs and LBs to stick with the read and cream the QB, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

It really is no different then a QB scramble. Remember RGII got hurt on a QB scramble not the read option.

and scrambling qbs are a risky bet. designing plays for them to run more is riskier. how the risk balances with rewards is a big question.

I'm leaning towards fad. It is clear that QBs can be hit if perceived as a threat to run. When enough of them are hit enough times and their games are effected as a result, there's gonna be less and less read option runs. I'll bet that DCs are right now telling DEs and LBs to stick with the read and cream the QB, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

yup - you only get so many free shots on a QB and they are valuable when you can. it may not be a pretty truth, but if you can shake up the qb, it can be worth giving up a couple extra yards on the pitch.

Fad. Just like the stupid wildcat, now that everyone has film on it by the end of this season no one will be able to use it exclusively. NFLN Talked about this earlier this week. What is going to happen is teams will intentionally start smacking the hell outta the QB even if he doesn't have the ball. Get enough QB's hurt and that read option **** will stop real quick.

and scrambling qbs are a risky bet. designing plays for them to run more is riskier. how the risk balances with rewards is a big question.

yup - you only get so many free shots on a QB and they are valuable when you can. it may not be a pretty truth, but if you can shake up the qb, it can be worth giving up a couple extra yards on the pitch.

Not really a much bigger risk.

Not really a much bigger risk.

the volume of plays is the issue. If your qb is getting hit (random number) 30% more that's a big risk. It's not about a single play call its about the accumulation if hits. It will always be in a playbook but the balance of that risk/reward will go a long way in how often coaches can open their qb up to hits.