What's Cookin'?

Chef Jim

We have some great cooks here and I'm very impressed with what some of you make especially for the holidays. I took Thursday and Friday off so it's been a very long long weekend for me. Friday we went to Marin and did a cheese tour and got some clams and oysters from Tomales Bay. So here's what the weekend has brought to our table.

Saturday - Raw oysters to start. Then in honor of the Bills opener I did a New England seafood boil of clams, mussels, lobster, shrimp, corn, potatoes and spicy sausage

Sunday - Steamed mussels and clams in a white wine, garlic and thyme broth. We found a package of about 4doz PEI mussels for $3 at the grocery store!

Today - Made a bunch of chicken, spinach and ricotta raviolis yesterday. Will serve them with a basil cream sauce today.

Amazing I didn't break out the grill/smoker at all this weekend.

In terms of food cost on a mussels dish I have always found mussels to generate one of if not the greatest profit margin in the food service industry. Most people don't realize how inexpensive mussels really are and how cheap suppliers sell them to restaurants. On top of that people think it is "expensive" and don't mind paying 25 bucks for a dish that cost 3-4 dollars to make.

I did a steamed mussels dish for Saturday afternoon. Used garlic, shallots, cherry tomatoes, fresh thyme and parsley, some red pepper flakes for heat, and sautéed it all in olive oil. for the steam, i used chicken broth and white wine. Also, I toasted up some baguettes with garlic infused olive oil. Total cost of meal, around $10. Total cost at restaurant, probably at least $60 for a table of 4.

In terms of food cost on a mussels dish I have always found mussels to generate one of if not the greatest profit margin in the food service industry. Most people don't realize how inexpensive mussels really are and how cheap suppliers sell them to restaurants. On top of that people think it is "expensive" and don't mind paying 25 bucks for a dish that cost 3-4 dollars to make.

Some people may not like cooking shellfish themselves. Be careful w/mussels and get them from a reputable supplier. That is, watch out for the domoic acid (amnesic shellfish poisoning) or you will forget where you parked your car. ;-) ;-)

Some people may not like cooking shellfish themselves. Be careful w/mussels and get them from a reputable supplier. That is, watch out for the domoic acid (amnesic shellfish poisoning) or you will forget where you parked your car. ;-) ;-)

The funny thing is in a lot of restaurants "trivial" tasks like sorting through, cleaning and debearding mussels would be left to the dishwasher.

The individauals handling them prior to them being prepped "for the line" are as qualified as your common home cook. You also have no idea how long the resaurant has had them in the walk-in for.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The weekend was a food wasteland at Mother in Laws house...she only makes stuff she can make 3 days in advance....but shoot, beggars can't be choosers and her house is a block from the beach. Just wish she would let me cook/ grill when we go there.

Today, tuna ceviche to start then lamb burgers with real Feta in them (no stinking cows milk in this feta) and tzatzki(sp) and a charred corn and assorted grilled vegetables with quinoa salad.

The funny thing is in a lot of restaurants "trivial" tasks like sorting through, cleaning and debearding mussels would be left to the dishwasher.

The individauals handling them prior to them being prepped "for the line" are as qualified as your common home cook. You also have no idea how long the resaurant has had them in the walk-in for.

That is why all restaurants are required to keep all shellfish tags that show the harvest date and where they were harvested. Those have to be kept on file but I don't remember for how long.

That is why all restaurants are required to keep all shellfish tags that show the harvest date and where they were harvested. Those have to be kept on file but I don't remember for how long.

Fish mongers at Whole Foods and other stores always look at me funny when I make them show me the harvest dates on mussels and clams...I don't want shellfish that has been out of the water over 5 days...I think they can go like 12, but I just picky I guess

Fish mongers at Whole Foods and other stores always look at me funny when I make them show me the harvest dates on mussels and clams...I don't want shellfish that has been out of the water over 5 days...I think they can go like 12, but I just picky I guess

We went to Tomales Bay Friday and got some oysters. They grab a mesh bag out of a pool of sea water and hand them to you. And that place is so busy you know the we're recently harvested. Damn tasty those are.

We went to Tomales Bay Friday and got some oysters. They grab a mesh bag out of a pool of sea water and hand them to you. And that place is so busy you know the we're recently harvested. Damn tasty those are.

Best food city in the US I would think...local oysters are always fresh here...mussels and clams not so much

Best food city in the US I would think...local oysters are always fresh here...mussels and clams not so much

East coast oysters have gotten a lot better. You should get decent mussels from Nova Scotia no??

What's good about the Bay Area are the farms 30-40 minutes right outside the city. So the Farmers Markets are great. Many of the city's best Chefs shop there for their menus. And the cheese production out of Marin and Sonoma is becoming world class. I wish Oliver From France would come back here. I want to discuss how our cheese is competing with France.

I worked all weekend and just got home a few hours ago. Cocktail time! When I got home I made the mother of all trail mix's (2 gallons of goodness). I am frugal and always looking for a good sale. Tonight for dinner is spicy well seasoned black beans with pastrami, and brown rice. My food cost is probably under .30 a serving

Screw your seafood and pork, I just ate two burgers. Salt, Pepper, i dash of rice vinegar because why not...and boom. I took some phili cream cheese and put it on top for a kick with the other cheese I put on.

Same here... Eff PETA... We had burgers, both beef (mix in sriracha sauce) and chicken burgers (quite good actually... Those chicken burgers were the frozen mediterranean style... Kinda tasted like a kabob in a patty form...LoL).

My dad used to make mussels when I was a kid. Some recipe he picked up on business in Sicily (i.e., not mob-related, I think). When my sister was like 5 years old, these mussels were her favorite food.

In any event, I am so scared of getting food poisoned by mussels, I only eat them when my dad makes them. I can never pull the trigger at a restaurant, and certainly don't trust myself to do it right.

There is very little to it. Finding a reputable fish monger. Have them go through each mussel individually. You want to make sure they're tightly closed or close up tight when tapped. Tap two together and of one sounds hallow pitch it. They should smell like the ocean and if one smells like a sewer (yes a sewer) pitch it.

Cooking them is simple. Put some olive oil in the pan until it smokes a bit. Add the mussels cover and toss quickly. Add whatever you want to flavor them with (garlic leeks fennel onions tomatoes herbs etc etc) cover again and toss. Then add the liquid (white wine chicken broth Pernod beer or whatever) cover and steam until they open. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

There is very little to it. Finding a reputable fish monger. Have them go through each mussel individually. You want to make sure they're tightly closed or close up tight when tapped. Tap two together and of one sounds hallow pitch it. They should smell like the ocean and if one smells like a sewer (yes a sewer) pitch it.

Cooking them is simple. Put some olive oil in the pan until it smokes a bit. Add the mussels cover and toss quickly. Add whatever you want to flavor them with (garlic leeks fennel onions tomatoes herbs etc etc) cover again and toss. Then add the liquid (white wine chicken broth Pernod beer or whatever) cover and steam until they open. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

Thanks, man. You've made it sound simple enough. Maybe I will give it a try.