Measles outbreak in N. Texas

Beerball

Right now I'm reading a great book on this subject - "The Panic Virus" by Seth Mnookin. This is a topic that really gets my blood boiling. My son has a serious congenital heart defect - things that might make other kids very sick could kill my son. I do my part to vaccinate hime against everything, and the whole family gets flu shots every year. Unfortuantely, part of keeping any community as safe as possible is for EVERYONE to do their part. When others buy into all this crap it puts kids like my son at risk.

What's amazing to me is that often times the people who buy into this junk are very educated people - we're not talking about folks with 80 IQ's. There has never been any solid science behind any of these crazy theories - to the contrary they have ALL come down on the side of vaccines. The only way you can brush off the scientific facts are to call into question science itself - you have to believe that on some level there is a huge conspiracy between the government, the AMA, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the pharmaceutical industry to vaccinate people for some sort of ulterior motive - profit, control, etc. - hard to believe that anyone would believe any of that instead of solid, peer-reviewed science....

Same here. This could turn PPP very quickly.

Like everything else, it is herd immunity. BUT, people want to think of themselves first and try and "game the system" and hope somebody else will protect them. Fine if it is just a very a few people doing it. The realm of public vaccination is probably the worst area to be selfish with.

Where do you think these selfish beliefs are coming from?

Like Pooj said... "Thinning of the herd." Great, if it just stayed w/the idiots of the herd. But, that isn't the case.

Start thinking of others in everthing we do...

What's with rich people hating vaccines?

Yeah, what's with that, anyway?

It is what I posted above. It is all about the individual. How dare anybody be told to think about the group. Welcome to the new old America. Hooray for me and screw you! Wait till they get polio... Can we throw them in an iron lung? Totally retro, the hipsters will love it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I've mentioned that before. There's affluent neighborhoods in US cities that have FAR worse vaccination rates than Central Africa. Hell, when it comes to measles vaccinations, the US as a whole ranks on par with Botswana.

I never got my MMR... Measels, Mump, & Rubella. I was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthitis) before I supposed to get the shot... And that was 1971. BUT, I have been looking it up... I probably should get it!