Why IR Kolb?

br1ju

In light of EJ's injury I thought about bringing up this old post in trying to figure out whether Kolb was put on season ending IR or if he is able to return in a few weeks based on the new IR rules. Perhaps not a significant thing but was just curious.

No he was put on season ending IR.

He will be cut by the Bills the minute h is medically cleared to play because he is horrible at playing football.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically that concussion against Washington ended his NFL career, given the recurring head injuries. The real issue is that the front office did not bring is a serious veteran once he got hurt. No excuse, given that Manuel was nursing the knee injury at the time, too. As much as we all fussed about Fitz, if he is on the team Thursday night, the Bills beat the Browns. Period. The same could possibly even be said about Tarvaris Jackson.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Basically that concussion against Washington ended his NFL career, given the recurring head injuries. The real issue is that the front office did not bring is a serious veteran once he got hurt. No excuse, given that Manuel was nursing the knee injury at the time, too. As much as we all fussed about Fitz, if he is on the team Thursday night, the Bills beat the Browns. Period. The same could possibly even be said about Tarvaris Jackson.

Be fair, at the point where they IR'd Kolb who was available? They did bring in Leinart and decided, based on PS game 4, he sucked worse than Tuel would.

Who would you have liked them to look at, who was available on August 24th? Frankly the FA QB pickin's have been slim all year.

The real problem went back to last spring, when the Bills weren't able to successfully re-negotiate with Fitz (who signed for ~Kolb $$) and then decided to cut Jackson (tough as nails) instead of (made of glass) Kolb. Kolb may be the better technical and mental QB in practice and preseason (not sure if that's true when it counts), but it's hard to contribute to a team from the IR list.

There's no question that the Tennessee Titans QB situation right now is better than ours.

For that matter, who would you like them to look at now?

I'd really like to see them bring in Freeman, but I think he'll have a choice of several teams, including a couple where he's more likely to be the long term starter.

Edited by Hopeful

Does anyone know Kolbs health status?

Was he really messed up that bad? You would figure he'd be good to go by now, after all his concussion was in preseason.

They should have never IRed him. He's a better option at QB than Tuel.

Edited by ldandria

Was he really messed up that bad? You would figure he'd be good to go by now, after all his concussion was in preseason.

Kolb has a history with concussions, this one will probably end his career. There is no reason for him to ever play in the NFL again.

Funny how the first post at the start of September were all about how they should have just cut Kolb cause Tuel can be the back-up and is better, now that Tuel gets into a game its about if he can come back from IR and play

Funny how the first post at the start of September were all about how they should have just cut Kolb cause Tuel can be the back-up and is better, now that Tuel gets into a game its about if he can come back from IR and play

Ugh, don't know why that showed up with strikethrough on but it won't come off

Edited by apuszczalowski

[span style=font-variant: small-caps]Funny how the first post at the start of September were all about how they should have just cut Kolb cause Tuel can be the back-up and is better, now that Tuel gets into a game its about if he can come back from IR and play[/span]

Ugh, don't know why that showed up with strikethrough on but it won't come off

I got rid of the strikethrough, bolded and underlined the text, and changed the color. Hope that helps. :D

Edited by Edwards' Arm

The brought in John Beck and Matt Leinart and of course eventually signed Leinart. How do you think Leinart looked? By then they felt very good about Manual making it back. They felt good about being able to develop Tuel into a better option than any veteran available. I just don't see how you can get all over them about this.

I got rid of the strikethrough, bolded and underlined the text, and changed the color. Hope that helps. :D

Normally I can take it off no problem, but for some reason from this computer I couldn't. This computer also will not let me hit Enter to go to the next line. I have to just type everything into one paragraph

Rumor has is that when Kobb's wife starts the microwave with him in the room, he pisses himself and forgets who he is for half an hour

No he was put on season ending IR.

He will be cut by the Bills the minute h is medically cleared to play because he is horrible at playing football.

But extremely good at earning $47 Million from three teams in five years., Just don't know if all those concussions were worth the 47M.

The brought in John Beck and Matt Leinart and of course eventually signed Leinart. How do you think Leinart looked? By then they felt very good about Manual making it back. They felt good about being able to develop Tuel into a better option than any veteran available. I just don't see how you can get all over them about this.

You really don't see this as a blunder? Those coaches are paid handsomely to put a solid roster together. It's up to the FO to make sure that they have the pieces they need. If the coaches, prior to Thursday's game thought the Manuel would not get hurt all season then they were shortsighted. If the coaches, prior to Thursday's game thought that Tuel was a decent option if Manuel ever got hurt then they failed in their jobs as coaches. If the coaches told the FO that a capable backup was needed because Tuel was not ready (and may never be ready) to step on the field and the FO did nothing then they failed. There is no reason to lose that game...other than the blunder(s) that fits this scenario. Since we're not privy to the internal workings of the team we don't know which blunder(s) were in play here, but we do know that in the end it was a mistake.

Beerball makes a good point that clearly there was a mistake somewhere. I tend to believe the mistake was in the coaches believing that Tuel could step in, though even that mistake is not as clear as some would suggest. There is a difference between believing he could step in with a week's preparation and believing that he could step in cold in the second half of a nationally televised game. The number of backup QBs who could ever perform well under those latter circumstances is quite small, after all. (Weeden is a different case because he was a former starter, and is a vet.) Elsewhere you can see someone bring up the Frank Reich example: not so good right off the bench in Indy in 1989, much better the following week at home. I can remember Clint Longley coming off the bench for Dallas on Thanksgiving Day in 1974 and playing lights out, then never doing anything else in the league again.

In other words, it does not make much sense to reach a final declaration based on Thursday's admittedly bad start. The big test will be to see how Tuel does at home against a stout Bengals D.

You really don't see this as a blunder? Those coaches are paid handsomely to put a solid roster together. It's up to the FO to make sure that they have the pieces they need. If the coaches, prior to Thursday's game thought the Manuel would not get hurt all season then they were shortsighted. If the coaches, prior to Thursday's game thought that Tuel was a decent option if Manuel ever got hurt then they failed in their jobs as coaches. If the coaches told the FO that a capable backup was needed because Tuel was not ready (and may never be ready) to step on the field and the FO did nothing then they failed. There is no reason to lose that game...other than the blunder(s) that fits this scenario. Since we're not privy to the internal workings of the team we don't know which blunder(s) were in play here, but we do know that in the end it was a mistake.

Or perhaps the coaches and the FO both knew what needed to be done and were told no by Littman. Again.