PPP Weed Poll

dayman

Pick a weed policy  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a weed policy

• Completely legal (the new beer)
    • Medical use only (need a doctor to sign off)
    • Illegal but like a parking ticket (drug tests for employment etc remain..so your stoner kid still can't get a job))
    • Illegal in the way it is now in most places (better not have much or sell)
    • Even more illegal, time to crack down

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legalizing weed, to me, falls under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for..."

If I thought legalizing it would keep things as they are, only legal, I'd have no problem with it. The problem (I think) is that once it's legal, it begins to fall under federal and state rule, and the freedom to smoke where you want will be a small victory for anyone who wants it. What's Johnny Spliffmaker going to do when he just wants to grow his own and share with his friends, but finds out that while smoking dope is legal, it has to be FDA-approved dope, so growing his own is still illegal without a permit and adhering to federal regulations?

If dope smokers were smart, they'd be happy with the way things are now.

bingo.

Or I'm just trying to pass off my sarcasm as sarcasm, and you're a very very poor troll.

Now that's just too funny. Too bad nobody else here gives enough of a schit to notice your weak attempt to cover up a simple mistake by claiming sarcasm. You actually went to the trouble to go back five days in another thread to quote someone else's mistake as a reason for you making that same mistake, directed at a completely different person and claimed it was sarcasm? All I did was yank your chain in a good natured way about you spelling "poll" as "pole" and you went to all that trouble, and then tried to put the blame on me? One would think that "Idiot Judge" would be enough for you, but I guess you can claim "Insecurity Chief" here at PPP also. Damn Tom, lighten up and have some fun.

Yes, and when it's legal, we won't be running around in the forest. We will be growing by the highway, just like every other crop.

So...no.

I've never had the desire to pull over while driving by crops (corn, grapes, apples etc) and help myself but I have a feeling that may change in the future. There's the issue. You don't have people driving by a field of hops or grapes and making booze because of the lack of knowledge of the process involved. Marijuana on the other hand is a very simple process from plant to final product. How are they planning on protecting the crop?

I've never had the desire to pull over while driving by crops (corn, grapes, apples etc) and help myself but I have a feeling that may change in the future. There's the issue. You don't have people driving by a field of hops or grapes and making booze because of the lack of knowledge of the process involved. Marijuana on the other hand is a very simple process from plant to final product. How are they planning on protecting the crop?

I imagine a fence would be involved. Electric even. The other thing: most farms aren't near lots of people. And, farms usually involve dogs, shotguns, etc.

That's a problem that is easily solved. It beats the hell out of filling our prisons, coarsening our society further, and wasting billions on something that boils down to an emotional argument.

If I was engaged to solve either, I'd take the fence problem over the "how do I stop supply in the face of demand" problem every time.

Consultants are trained not to take on jobs they know will fail.

EDIT: Oh, and if you turn this over to the American farmer(and/or corporations)? Weed would be so cheap that stealing it wouldn't be worth the effort. The reason you don't steal grapes and corn? It's easier just to buy it from the farmer's market/grocery store. Are you going to risk a criminal record for something that costs $4?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

100% legal. Why are we importing something we can easily grow here?

Such a great argument and I agree. The fact that the worst people in the entire western hemisphere would be hurt by legalizing this stuff--the drug cartels--is reason enough. Mexico and many other countries are ravaged by so much drug violence, corruption and terrorism that it makes this a human rights issue in my eyes. Legalization is just the right thing to do, prohibition has been a disaster.

Fencing it in, growing it inside and community watches like George Zimmerman!

Such a great argument and I agree. The fact that the worst people in the entire western hemisphere would be hurt by legalizing this stuff--the drug cartels--is reason enough. Mexico and many other countries are ravaged by so much drug violence, corruption and terrorism that it makes this a human rights issue in my eyes. Legalization is just the right thing to do, prohibition has been a disaster.

The cartels will begin doing something else, or having their enterprises legalized, and already having all of the necessary infrastructure in place, they will simply capitalize on the legalization, and become the new Kennedys.

There are many large US corporations with the infrastructure and technology already in place.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing is: We have already learned this lesson.

The Mafia, as we know it, wouldn't be who they are, or, at least, who they were, if it wasn't for Prohibition.

Again, ignorance of history costs us. And, no, it isn't different just because it's not white Italians, Jews, Germans, Polish, and Irish this time around. This time around it's Russians, Latinos, Asians, poor WASPs, and of course...Africans/Carribeans.

The story is the same: Just ask the Kennedy family. What is the fastest way to make money and be upwardly mobile? Crime = money = power = politics.

Ask yourself why the Democrats are always the biggest proponents of the drug war? Besides the government jobs, drugs are path of least resistance for redistrubution of cash...not wealth. IF we legalized drugs tomorrow? How many Democrat-controlled cities would go bankrupt? Most. Drugs are a Keynesian multiplier, and Democrat party bosses know it. Drug money pays the inner city grocery store, and property taxes, just as much as it pays for new rims.

The problem is: the current owners of the crime-->power equation are too stupid to create wealth with their cash, like Joe Kennedy did. That, and the culture they espouse is so self-destructive, that most of them are dead before they get the chance.

But, you can bet that in a generation, having made enough money, most of the Asians, poor WASPs, and Russians will be out of the business. I'd bet many of the Latinos will be out as well. No different than how the Jews, Poles, Irish, and the Germans got out after Prohibition.

The people who stay in it are there because they are either too dumb, or too corrupt, to do anything else. Or, their culture says they have stay there.

The cartels will begin doing something else, or having their enterprises legalized, and already having all of the necessary infrastructure in place, they will simply capitalize on the legalization, and become the new Kennedys.

There are many large US corporations with the infrastructure and technology already in place.

These 2 things seem to contradict each other. US corporations like ADM being allowed to grow pot...vs...drug cartel?

Please. That "competition" would be over in months. No. The cartel people would have to go back to growing coffee. Kennedy's? No. Jaun Valdez and his burro.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

How are they planning on protecting the crop?

One of those news shows (60 Minutes, Dateline, etc) had an segment on the legal dispensaries and their entire operation is done indoors. I imagine something similar would be done, using abandoned warehouses.

One of those news shows (60 Minutes, Dateline, etc) had an segment on the legal dispensaries and their entire operation is done indoors. I imagine something similar would be done, using abandoned warehouses.

And how big are these greenhouses going to have to be? Or are they going to use fluorescent lights? Nice carbon footprint.

And how big are these greenhouses going to have to be? Or are they going to use fluorescent lights? Nice carbon footprint.

Well, this guy had almost 200 plants in his parents basement and they didn't notice....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/cicero_man_who_grew_186_marijuana_plants_in_parents_basement_faces_time_in_feder.html

Perhaps the most frustrating thing is: We have already learned this lesson.

The Mafia, as we know it, wouldn't be who they are, or, at least, who they were, if it wasn't for Prohibition.

Again, ignorance of history costs us. And, no, it isn't different just because it's not white Italians, Jews, Germans, Polish, and Irish this time around. This time around it's Russians, Latinos, Asians, poor WASPs, and of course...Africans/Carribeans.

The story is the same: Just ask the Kennedy family. What is the fastest way to make money and be upwardly mobile? Crime = money = power = politics.

Ask yourself why the Democrats are always the biggest proponents of the drug war? Besides the government jobs, drugs are path of least resistance for redistrubution of cash...not wealth. IF we legalized drugs tomorrow? How many Democrat-controlled cities would go bankrupt? Most. Drugs are a Keynesian multiplier, and Democrat party bosses know it. Drug money pays the inner city grocery store, and property taxes, just as much as it pays for new rims.

The problem is: the current owners of the crime-->power equation are too stupid to create wealth with their cash, like Joe Kennedy did. That, and the culture they espouse is so self-destructive, that most of them are dead before they get the chance.

But, you can bet that in a generation, having made enough money, most of the Asians, poor WASPs, and Russians will be out of the business. I'd bet many of the Latinos will be out as well. No different than how the Jews, Poles, Irish, and the Germans got out after Prohibition.

The people who stay in it are there because they are either too dumb, or too corrupt, to do anything else. Or, their culture says they have stay there.

These 2 things seem to contradict each other. US corporations like ADM being allowed to grow pot...vs...drug cartel?

Please. That "competition" would be over in months. No. The cartel people would have to go back to growing coffee. Kennedy's? No. Jaun Valdez and his burro.

Baloney. The Kennedy's still profit from every single imported bottle of Irish whiskey that comes into this country and other former outlaw importers (Canadian) still thrive; yet the strongest business comes from early domestic producers (think Buorbon County, and Tennessee mash).

Business springs from many founts.

Well, this guy had almost 200 plants in his parents basement and they didn't notice....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/cicero_man_who_grew_186_marijuana_plants_in_parents_basement_faces_time_in_feder.html

There was a family in SoCal a few years ago that was raided by the DEA. They were using a extraordinary amount of electricity. They thought there had to be a pot farm there. Nope just a large suburban family that required lots of power for things like the several loads of laundry a day. LOL.

When it comes to corn or soy, what are you gonna do with it? Most corn you see in fields is field corn, not sweet corn. With the Mary Jane, people aren't gonna be busting into the fields to get it. Heck, throughout the midwest, hemp still grows wild. When I was a surveyor... You'd see it grow over 6 feet high near the levees, especially prevelant in western Illinois... It is still out there. People weren't touching it. Of course it wasn't cultivated and probably not very good... Like "track weed." But still. How many people bust into tobacco fields?

Anyway, it is always funny to see the authorities make a "bust" of this wild stuff... LoL... Like an old hemp area. Quite a joke when they come out with the "street value" of said sh*t... LoL.

When it comes to corn or soy, what are you gonna do with it? Most corn you see in fields is field corn, not sweet corn. With the Mary Jane, people aren't gonna be busting into the fields to get it. Heck, throughout the midwest, hemp still grows wild. When I was a surveyor... You'd see it grow over 6 feet high near the levees, especially prevelant in western Illinois... It is still out there. People weren't touching it. Of course it wasn't cultivated and probably not very good... Like "track weed." But still. How many people bust into tobacco fields?

Maybe if the rebrand it as Hempanol and say it prevents Global Warming®, they could get it legalized and enjoy a healthy subsidied

Legalizing weed, to me, falls under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for..."

If I thought legalizing it would keep things as they are, only legal, I'd have no problem with it. The problem (I think) is that once it's legal, it begins to fall under federal and state rule, and the freedom to smoke where you want will be a small victory for anyone who wants it. What's Johnny Spliffmaker going to do when he just wants to grow his own and share with his friends, but finds out that while smoking dope is legal, it has to be FDA-approved dope, so growing his own is still illegal without a permit and adhering to federal regulations?

If dope smokers were smart, they'd be happy with the way things are now.

I'd be more prone to this line of reasoning if I lived in your time zone, but in VA a pot conviction is something you don't want any part of. Particularly if the cops and court determine that it's not unreasonable to assume that you might well have intended to distribute it.

Based on this I've changed my mind. I now think it should be more illegal and more aggressively enforced.

Maybe if the rebrand it as Hempanol and say it prevents Global Warming®, they could get it legalized and enjoy a healthy subsidied

Now we are cooking w/gas. Better yet, just have hemp replace cotton. Start growing it AGAIN commercially. It is a better fiber and is a hardier plant.

One of the funnier lines from the pro-hemp parades:

"Our Founding Fathers Smoked Rope!"

people should at least be allowed to grow it themselves for personal use, with laws regarding sales left to each state. someone growing a few plants in a home - hydroponic system with sodium vapor lamps isn't hurting anyone, and should be left alone.