Those Amber Alerts you get on your phone now-a-days...

boyst

KVnMV9l.png

It was just after midnight last night when my phone started with the Emergency Alert System warning. I hear it enough to know what it is but not often from my phone...so I "WTF'd." So did my girlfriend. I looked at my phone in my sleepened state and saw an Amber Alert. I thought, great, I hate getting these...does anyone ever look or pay attention to these...

Apparently, people do...

http://myfox8.com/20...ped-high-point/

A UNCGreensboro student found the vehicle this morning walking back to her apartment.

The phone call audio is attached, pretty amazing to hear how this works... What a great story. I guess I should pay attention to these.

Edited by jboyst62

i got one yesterday for one that happened in the Reading PA area, I did find myself paying attention to cars on my drive to and from work, so I guess it achieved its purpose, anything that can prevent bad things from happening to kids is worth the annoying buzz

worked here too, someone pointed out the vehicle to the police

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Amber_Alert_issued_for_2_Pa_girls.html

Edited by The Poojer

Watched an LMN movie about how the Amber Alert came about. Great story. Very sad story. But it's pure fact that Amber Alerts are effective.

The mere thought of my son missing and/or being abducted makes my emotions run wild. I can't imagine what these parents (and the children, obviously) go through.

I'm sure there are stats out there about how many children have been found by way of the Amber Alert. I'd love to see some statistics on how many missing/abducted children have been found via Facebook or any other social networking outlet. I've seen that in action quite a bit; especially with runaways.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.news-reco...1a4bcf6878.html

The grandfather was arrested for leaving the toddler in the car... I'd wondered if that would be coming.

"A person can be charged with misdemeanor child abuse if they create a substantial risk of physical injury to a child under 16, according to state law."

Holy Moly! When my son was 3 (2001), we were skiing @ Holiday valley and I lost him in a blizzard down Morning Star:

1244231225.jpg

I always told him to go to the nearest base of a lift and get the attendant's attention... Thank God we were on Morning Star and there was a lift right @ the base! I was sh*tting bricks because it was one of the first times he was off from the ski bar:

hqdefault.jpg

I wasn't sure if he was ahead of me or behind... Man was I freaking! I took a big chance and went down and there he was, @ the base of the triple chair! he was barely walking let alone skiing @ night in a blizzard! All I could think of was: "Boy is Mama gonna kill me!" :doh: My son didn't have a care in the world!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois