Kevin Spacey on content delivery

The Big Cat

How long before the death grip on content delivery starts to fade? It's happening now. Personally, I see an avalanche coming in the next five years. How it will start, I don't know, but Hulu, Netflix, HBOGo, tablets and smart TV's are an intriguing step in that direction. What's odd is that CBS has retained the highest ratings, basically by saying '!@#$ all that ****.' Who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

It's generational. The under-30 crowd is cutting the cord more and more. But there's a hell of lot of 31+ people out there.

Newspapers have been dying a very slow death, but still remains profitable (just not as much). Newspapers will never die; nor will traditional television. However their demand will continue to decline.

I think you're right that in five short years, there will be drastic change. I invite it.

he's spot on....hopefully the industry or the upstarts will pay attention and change the way the game is played, the success of cable series' shows that the model he talks about is working and working with enormous results. if we could get a netflix-style sports outlet, i would be a.....

It's generational. The under-30 crowd is cutting the cord more and more. But there's a hell of lot of 31+ people out there.

Newspapers have been dying a very slow death, but still remains profitable (just not as much). Newspapers will never die; nor will traditional television. However their demand will continue to decline.

I think you're right that in five short years, there will be drastic change. I invite it.

See, I don't know. I think my parents--classic Boomers--would love to access content the way I do, they just don't know technology well enough to know what's possible.

he's spot on....hopefully the industry or the upstarts will pay attention and change the way the game is played, the success of cable series' shows that the model he talks about is working and working with enormous results. if we could get a netflix-style sports outlet, i would be a.....

The most important part of his speech was the bit about the hundreds of millions dumped into (read:wasted on) pilots. The industry won't change because of what people want. It'll change to affect its own bottom line.

See, I don't know. I think my parents--classic Boomers--would love to access content the way I do, they just don't know technology well enough to know what's possible.

I agree with you. My parents are in their early-to-mid 70s. I've gone through the hell of teaching them how to use remote controls, VCRs, DVD players and changing the time on their car stereos.

They've finally drawn the line with DVRing, which I do a lot - and I've explained how beneficial it would be to their lifestyle (retired, always on the go). They're tired of learning new schit.

They do like movies on demand (they have Time Warner Cable), though, and have mastered it.

So I agree that the desire is there by many in that generation ... I just question whether they want to take the time/effort to learn yet another technological advancement.

I agree with you. My parents are in their early-to-mid 70s. I've gone through the hell of teaching them how to use remote controls, VCRs, DVD players and changing the time on their car stereos.

They've finally drawn the line with DVRing, which I do a lot - and I've explained how beneficial it would be to their lifestyle (retired, always on the go). They're tired of learning new schit.

They do like movies on demand (they have Time Warner Cable), though, and have mastered it.

So I agree that the desire is there by many in that generation ... I just question whether they want to take the time/effort to learn yet another technological advancement.

Totally agreed, except that unwillingness or incapability of adapting to new technology is a dying trend (probably a poor choice of words, but accurate none-the-less).

And given the financial aspect from a delivery standpoint, the only thing keeping the status quo in tact is the knowledge that the people who buy the most pharmaceutical products aren't likely to change the way they consume content.

Oh there are plenty of us 50+ers out there that are cutting the cord too.

I lost my clicker. Has anyone seen my clicker?

I think it's with my bottle opener. :cry:

Oh there are plenty of us 50+ers out there that are cutting the cord too.

Yup, and plenty of us 40+ers, too. But the big boom in cord cutting is the 30 and under crowd.

You quit watching TV, too??

Yup, and plenty of us 40+ers, too. But the big boom in cord cutting is the 30 and under crowd.

You quit watching TV, too??

You know I was just thinking today I can't remember the last time I watched TV other than for 15 mins in the morning to get the traffic report while I drink my coffee. I really only turn my TV on to listen to Pandora.

You know I was just thinking today I can't remember the last time I watched TV other than for 15 mins in the morning to get the traffic report while I drink my coffee. I really only turn my TV on to listen to Pandora.

She must be hot. Pic?

Are you saying \the television doesn't deliver content to you? Or that you don't watch the content that is (still) primarily delivered through television?

Edited by The Big Cat

Are you saying \the television doesn't deliver content to you? Or that you don't watch the content that is (still) primarily delivered through television?

A bit of both. No cable so the content delivered to me is mostly of my choosing and I don't watch much of the content that I have access to.

I lost my clicker. Has anyone seen my clicker?

Just buy a new one...

http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/index.html

(Has anyone seen the buttons to change the channel on my TV?)

What are these buttons you speak of? Mine only has a dial...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Predicta_model_television_1958-59_DMA.jpg/220px-Predicta_model_television_1958-59_DMA.jpg

I thought you would be a better method to opening bottles than a simple bottle opener...

Just buy a new one...

http://www.bigbutton....com/index.html

What are these buttons you speak of? Mine only has a dial...

http://upload.wikime...1958-59_DMA.jpg

I thought you would be a better method to opening bottles than a simple bottle opener...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3YwFpmnVA

Ummmm you never use a bottle opener to open bubbly anyway. That's one of the best things about drinking Champagne. Now here's how you open a bottle of still wine without an opener.