Time to say good bye to the Preseason!!!!

I heard the pros and cons of having a NFL preseason. Too many cons. Take a look at the mile long list of players injured and we haven't even played game 1. Sorry but the owners need to realize team are coming out of the box already banged up all for a few bucks in their pockets. This is just plain stupid... Time to get rid of the preseason. Teams want to have controlled scrimages during training camp would be good enough to evaluate players..

I heard the pros and cons of having a NFL preseason. Too many cons. Take a look at the mile long list of players injured and we haven't even played game 1. Sorry but the owners need to realize team are coming out of the box already banged up all for a few bucks in their pockets. This is just plain stupid... Time to get rid of the preseason. Teams want to have controlled scrimages during training camp would be good enough to evaluate players..

No, no it would not.

reduce preseason games from 4 to 2 games.

keep regular season at 16 games.

replace the lost revenue by adding one playoff team per conference. only the #1 seed gets a bye. wild card weekend would have 3 games each on saturday and sunday.

replace the lost revenue by adding one playoff team per conference. only the #1 seed gets a bye. wild card weekend would have 3 games each on saturday and sunday.

The only issue with that is the lost revenue(stadium) wouldn't be made back by the away team or teams not in the playoffs at all but I still like the idea.

Edited by The Wiz

...Time to get rid of the preseason. Teams want to have controlled scrimages during training camp would be good enough to evaluate players..

This is a terrible idea! As much as I miss watching "REAL" football during the preseason, I'm glad we have it. It allows teams to better evaluate talent and get the right team on the field for week 1 of the regular season. If anything is to blame for all of these injures, its the new CBA. I think limiting the amount of time spent in full pads with contact and limiting the training camp the way it has been has hurt the players more than it has helped. Not just from an injury stand point but look at the start of the season last year....there was a lot of sloppy football played. But that is just my 2 cents.

Do teams/owners really make any revenue during the pre-season? When you take into account the cost for the stadium employees, player salaries, additional other expenses to put on a game, those games aren't sold out many times, lots of tickets given away, would they really lose enough revenue to make it worth keeping?

players dont get hurt in scrimmages or practice? whats the incremental increase in injuries holding an actual game vs scrimmage? lots of other questions.

people got hurt so get rid of it, doesnt really sell me.

Edited by NoSaint

Do teams/owners really make any revenue during the pre-season? When you take into account the cost for the stadium employees, player salaries, additional other expenses to put on a game, those games aren't sold out many times, lots of tickets given away, would they really lose enough revenue to make it worth keeping?

I'm thinking the Bills would lose at least a million and a half minimum and I'm not even talking parking or food and beverage revenue.

players dont get hurt in scrimmages or practice? whats the incremental increase in injuries holding an actual game vs scrimmage? lots of other questions.

I think an argument could be made that players may be more susceptible to being hurt in the regular season if they don't get some live action during the preseason games.

I guess the teams that have a waiting list for Season tickets, meaning all seats are sold for the season, will definitely benefit from the 4 pre-season games as they are pre-paid and the team itself does not care whether there is a full house or not. For teams like the Bills that do not sell all tickets via Season tickets, it does hit them hard on the wallet.

Players get hurt, period. It happens...it's part of life. This doesn't mean we should be reducing the amount of games. Cutting the preseason games or eliminating them altogether is a knee-jerk reaction to someone getting injured. If we only had camp practices and players got hurt then, do we eliminate any practicing?

Preseason games are the best way to evaluate the 2nd & 3rd string talent and get the starters in game-ready shape. This shouldn't end.

Players get hurt, period. It happens...it's part of life. This doesn't mean we should be reducing the amount of games. Cutting the preseason games or eliminating them altogether is a knee-jerk reaction to someone getting injured. If we only had camp practices and players got hurt then, do we eliminate any practicing?

Preseason games are the best way to evaluate the 2nd & 3rd string talent and get the starters in game-ready shape. This shouldn't end.

i agree - was pointing out that the OP neglected any of the relevant discussion if you are going to discuss moving that direction.

I don't really see owners or players asking to get rid of the pre season.

Just fans and analysts.

That 85th person on the roster that got to suit up for a game, really really doesn't agree with the fans on this, wven though he soon will be one.

I wonder how much revenue the the preseason games garner. It seems like a completely different television network arrangement, shoddy announcing and uncompetitive games after the first quarter.

I surmise they could even add significant revenue with the same QTY of reg games if they pushed into Saturday, got rid of Thursday and add 2 or 3 saturday time slots resulting in more nationally televised games or add a 4th early slot on sunday (10-1)

The Saturday thing might steal from college football tv revenue, but what do I care?

Also maybe they should do a fan ref replay where the fans text in a vote for a challenged call. I dunno I just don't have a great feel for the type of money we are talking.

Gate proceeds must be like $8-$10 mil per team for the whole preseason?

The only issue with that is the lost revenue(stadium) wouldn't be made back by the away team or teams not in the playoffs at all but I still like the idea.

the lost stadium revenue would be made up by increased TV revenue.

lets say one home pre-season game generates revenue of 50,000 seats sold by ave ticket price of $50 = $2.5 million

lets use NBC's sunday night rights fee (a playoff game would generate more). NBC pays the NFL over $1 Billion dollars per year. if you divide that $1 billion by 17 weeks, then divide that by 32 teams you get $1.8 million per team then times that by 2 playoff games = $3.6 mil/team.

just another reason to reduce preseason games...

The Buffalo Bills “treated” a gathering of about 40,000 fans to an exercise in futility Thursday night in their exhibition finale.

The Bills rested 21 of their 22 of their starters and got blown out by the Detroit Lions, 35-13.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-throw-backups-to-the-lions-in-preseason-finale-20130829