Bills plan for Tuel as week 1 starter

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that EJ's injury is worse than we were originally told?

Not at all. No reason to panic, at least not yet. EJ can't practice yet so for now they are proceeding as it Tuel will be the starter. What else could they do at this point? Get in off the ledge people :)

Kind of reminds me when a one Kurt Warner stepped in for the injured Trent Green....

In all seriousness, Tuel starting could be a big lose-lose. If Tuel does really bad, obviously a lose. But if Tuel does really well, then we have a controversy on our hands, potentially screwing up Manuel's head and screwing ourselves again.

If the bolded happens, nothing else matters.

I think the last and maybe only other time a undrafted rookie started at QB in week one was 1976 with Jim Zorn of the Seattle Seahawks.

Zorn was an undrafted rookie in 75, made the Cowboys roster but was cut later (make room for Preston Pearson), Seattle claimed him off waivers and he was their starter in 76. Read it on the world wide web so it has to be true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Zorn

Did he start week 1? When was Trent Green injured?

He was injured in the 4th preseason game and his back-up went down if I recall correctly... Warner was 3rd string guy and the Rams season under Dick Vermiel was expected to be shot

I disagree. Why would you bench a guy who is looking good and winning (which is the premise of the question) ? At that point, what will EJ have over Tuel besides draft status ?

Physical attributes, leadership qualities, a long winning record in college, better performance in camp, ... IE, all of the things that CAUSED the draft status.

"Through three preseason games, Tuel has completed 31-of-43 passes for 299 yards with two touchdowns, no interceptions and a 106.6 quarterback rating."

Super Bowl?

Sign TJ Housmanzilly for Tuel to throw to...

Championship....

This is out of control. Tuel is what he is, an undrafted rookie QB. He is a 3rd QB/PS type of guy. Lets calm down on the Kurt Warner talk. He has a shot to go out there and avoid mistakes. I am still hoping that EJ is ready. If it is Tuel I hope that he manages the game and develops into a good back up long term. I like what I have seen from him for the most part but lets not get carried away.

I hear ya, Tuel never bagged groceries....

This is out of control. Tuel is what he is, an undrafted rookie QB. He is a 3rd QB/PS type of guy. Lets calm down on the Kurt Warner talk. He has a shot to go out there and avoid mistakes. I am still hoping that EJ is ready. If it is Tuel I hope that he manages the game and develops into a good back up long term. I like what I have seen from him for the most part but lets not get carried away.

Come'on dude we have to believe in something.... what would be more surprising Tuel playing well or our CBs without Gilmore picking off Brady 3 times on the way to victory? Odds are long on both, but I'll go w/ the QB

I expected EJ to be practicing at this point. Not playing in a pre-season game but at least practicing. I think EJ is worse than we've been told.

I will have no more of this kind of talk! I need the rest of the home games to sell out so I can watch them on TV and this kind of talk is counter productive! ;)

IF and I say IF (not sure Doug M isn't playing word games like others have said with "planning") Tuel is the QB then I guess they try and keep it simple and give CJ and Fast Freddy a lot of touches. You would hope that the defense would have to step it up but with Gilmore having surgery and Byrd sulking I'm not sure if it matters who starts at QB.

To me Gilmore being out 8 weeks is the bigger news of the day than the Tuel news.

Physical attributes, leadership qualities, a long winning record in college, better performance in camp, ... IE, all of the things that CAUSED the draft status.

However, at that point of the season, the past will have no meaning. The QB helping the team win is all that matters at that time. My argument would be different if we are looking at a situation similar to AlexSmith-Kaepernick last year. It was entirely evident that for all the winning that SF was doing, Kaepernick could lift the team to greater heights. Hence, the decision to continue with CK was the right one. I just do not see Marrone benching a winning hand. Finally, if this situation indeed comes to pass, we will be in a very happy place and beats the alternative (all QBs sucking).

IF and I say IF (not sure Doug M isn't playing word games like others have said with "planning") Tuel is the QB then I guess they try and keep it simple and give CJ and Fast Freddy a lot of touches. You would hope that the defense would have to step it up but with Gilmore having surgery and Byrd sulking I'm not sure if it matters who starts at QB.

To me Gilmore being out 8 weeks is the bigger news of the day than the Tuel news.

IMHO, your first paragraph is true with Tuel or EJ starting.

Agree with the Gilmore point - big loss esp against Brady