(OT) Baby panda

Fezmid

How come those panda cubs are born so small?

15555[/snapback]

You know, I overlooked the fact that they're being weighed in OUNCES. That seems wrong...

Where's our resident panda expert when we need him???

CW

Guest Answer Man
How come those panda cubs are born so small?

15555[/snapback]

You know, I overlooked the fact that they're being weighed in OUNCES.  That seems wrong...

Where's our resident panda expert when we need him???

CW

15556[/snapback]

Yes Pandas are born very, very small. It is one of the reasons (besides finky pandas) why there are so few pandas.

A baby panda weighs nearly 800 times less than it's mother at birth, the largest difference between mother and baby for mammals.

Part of the reason that they have so much trouble having babies is that they are very seclusive and solitary. They only group for mating purposes, and the female ususally has only two fertile days every year. Panda twins are very common (perhaps because they are so delicate nature wants to increase the odds on continuing the next generation?) but in nature, the mother can only care for one, so she choses one of the cubs to raise, and leaves the other to die.

The elusiveness of the panda, coupled with thier seclusion in only a few remote mountain areas of China is the primary reasone we don't really know how to breed them. It has only been in the last 20 years or so that we have sucessfully been able to raise panda cubs to adulthood. Most of that is done at the Woolong Breeding center in China.

Hue Mai is to my knowledge the only US born panda to actually produce cubs herself. This must be confirmed by the head of the panda information society, a man you may be familiar with, Mr. Jacob Rosen, my supervisor...