a quick review of the short tenure of GM Whaley

zazie

Doug Whaley inherited a pretty askew situation.

so far he has:

1. installed a coaching staff that appears to be cognizant of the modern game and has a winning attitude

2. had a battle with Eugene Parker that he appears to have not lost

3. had a really solid draft with a first round qb selection that actually seems to be the best qb in the draft class at first glance

i am really appreciating this guy. laughingstock no longer, finally, perhaps?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too often on here we pinpoint blame or praise. This is a very collaborative organization and has been for years (and all organizations are). I have news for you, Whaley was VERY involved in last years draft/free agency/roster selection, etc... Every decision that happens in a front office happens as a group. At the end of the day Whaley makes the decision (if Russ approves). Those situations that are that tough that come down to just the GM are so few and far between. I guess that someone has to take the blame or the praise but almost always it is a group that came to that conclusion.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Too often on here we pinpoint blame or praise. This is a very collaborative organization and has been for years (and all organizations are). I have news for you, Whaley was VERY involved in last years draft/free agency/roster selection, etc... Every decision that happens in a front office happens as a group. At the end of the day Whaley makes the decision (if Russ approves). Those situations that are that tough that come down to just the GM are so few and far between. I guess that someone has to take the blame or the praise but almost always it is a group that came to that conclusion.

Bring back Polian, even though he is starting to look like Captain Pike.

Doug Whaley inherited a pretty askew situation.

so far he has:

1. installed a coaching staff that appears to be cognizant of the modern game and has a winning attitude

2. had a battle with Eugene Parker that he appears to have not lost

3. had a really solid draft with a first round qb selection that actually seems to be the best qb in the draft class at first glance

i am really appreciating this guy. laughingstock no longer, finally, perhaps?

1. Marrone was hired under Buddy; 2. Too early to tell; 3. Buddy was GM for the draft. As has been stated, this was a collaborative organization and both Whaley and Buddy have participated in good and bad moves.

1. Marrone was hired under Buddy; 2. Too early to tell; 3. Buddy was GM for the draft. As has been stated, this was a collaborative organization and both Whaley and Buddy have participated in good and bad moves.

I have the idea that Whaley was the main guy for some time, Buddy was in name only since the end of last season. Maybe I am wrong though, I do not have any mysterious inside sources whose name I can't disclose like several other posters purport to have, just my own perception.

I am pretty sure it is just way to early to tell. I mean look at the 2010 draft thread, I think the judge the GM thing is kind of based on drafts and other parts of building a team for a coach. How are we supposed to do that based on the 3 to 5 things he may or may not of even done yet? The jury just sat down and was read the court instructions, this is going to take a while.

Won 0 games

Let's play some football

This is where the rubber hits the road.

Also relative to the OP Buddy Nix was clearly involved in the selection of the current coaching staff. He was also in the lead at the time of the draft. Hard to say Whaley was totally responsible.