Syracuse to hire Major Applewhite

JarHeadJim

Did UT hand over the QB position to Chris Simms.....but every time they needed a win Applewhite was put back in the lineup?

If he can help the SU QB's make the most out of their abilities like he did, it's a good hire. Joe Fields need a good teacher.

Did UT hand over the QB position to Chris Simms.....but every time they needed a win Applewhite was put back in the lineup?

If he can help the SU QB's make the most out of their abilities like he did, it's a good hire. Joe Fields need a good teacher.

205355[/snapback]

From a Colorado fanand who lives and breathes Big 12 football. He also HATES Texas (as most Buffs fans do, though not as much as Nebraska), and these are his thoughts:

"I'm a HUGE Major Applewhite guy. Here's a guy that, as a junior, held almost every passing record at Texas and then spends his senior year on the pine so Chris Simms could play. I argued at the time that Major was a better quarterback and gave the 'Horns a better chance at winning, but Simms was the sexy choice so he plays and Major sits. What I liked most is the way Major handled everything. He got screwed and didn't say a word, didn't complain. When he did get his chance (most notably the Big 12 Championship game, where he nearly led Texas to an improbable comeback from a huge deficit against the Buffs) he played exceptionally well.

I like that choice. The guys a winner, had skills and will teach maturity and poise on and off the field."

Sounds like a good choice. He never have the raw physical talent to play in the NFL, but overachievers like that often make good coaches. You can't impart talent, but when you've achieved success because of hard work you have something you can pass on to others.

Sounds like an excellent choice. Hey Jim, what is the scoop on why Chow wasn't considered/interviewed. I have been out of the Orange loop for a while.

Greg Robinson seems like a good choice, especially if he was recommended by

Carroll.

205568[/snapback]

Dr Groos didn't want to raid USC coaching staff, plus he said he wanted to be defensive minded team.

I really like Applewhite.  Blue collar player who clearly outshowed his "with pedigree" competition.  I guess that means the "freeze option" is finally dead at SU.

205620[/snapback]

Agreed. Had bad knees but was a smart player. I bet he turns out to be a good Coach.

Sounds like a good choice.  He never have the raw physical talent to play in the NFL, but overachievers like that often make good coaches.  You can't impart talent, but when you've achieved success because of hard work you have something you can pass on to others.

205544[/snapback]

Other than the fact that he played in the NFL for 9 years--you just described Mike Mularkey...good post TJ...