Google to bid on Sunday Ticket? (link inside)

42 million a week @ $0.99 per would cover it.

Ya don't think the NFL could attract 42 million viewers/week league wide?

And that's not counting playoffs/Super Bowl

No I don't Assuming 16 games per week that's 2.65 million viewers per game average. Even at $5 per game they would need 525000 viewers each.

And that's assuming the NFL would get every penny collected, which they would not.

There are some large market teams that might be able to average close to that, but not most in my opinion. The hard core fan of football would also balk, I think, at having to pay per game.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't Assuming 16 games per week that's 2.65 million viewers per game average. Even at $5 per game they would need 525000 viewers each.

And that's assuming the NFL would get every penny collected, which they would not.

There are some large market teams that might be able to average close to that, but not most in my opinion. The hard core fan of football would also balk, I think, at having to pay per game.

Well, Monday Night Football alone draws about 15 million. Granted, they'd lose a lot of those if people had to deliberately pay/tune in.

Actually, Monday, Thursday and Sunday night football, games get about 30 million viewers.

Damn, no updates re: streaming options like the one that came with Madden this year, or ones that have been available through Playstation's network in the past...really hoping they keep these. Not having to to go the bar was pretty sweet this season.

Too early to know on that, but best guess everything stays status quo, maybe even expanded streaming options.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. The time has come, maybe, where the exclusive rights deal the NFL has with DirecTV might be what is best for the NFL, and DirecTV. Or...maybe not. Would the NFL make more money if Sunday Ticket was available to everyone...or would they lose money as CBS & FOX are sure to demand much lower rates from the NFL, as their outlets in local markets would be very watered down. This really could be the first step toward the NFL being a cable/pay per view product.

Thanks for sharing the article. Interesting stuff. Anyone have any insight/update on whether Sunday Ticket will be available by streaming for the upcoming season like it was this year with the Madden game?

Edited by RyanC883

The NFL is making a huge mistake if they make all games accessable only by subscription. The NFL got this popular because of free TV. If they start forcing people to pay to watch people will eventually stop. Maybe not soon but down the road.

My old boss used to say "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I think that applies here.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The NFL is making a huge mistake if they make all games accessable only by subscription. The NFL got this popular because of free TV. If they start forcing people to pay to watch people will eventually stop. Maybe but soon but down the road.

My old boss used to say "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I think that applies here.

PTR

Makes for an interesting marketing study doesn't it. Faced with needing more money to pay the players and owners more and more, probably having nearly maxed out ticket prices, pushed the commercial TV contract to it's limit, what are they to do? Expanding the market outside of the US is a long shot in my opinion. Making everyone pay to watch would seem a good way for the NFL to increase its profits. If people will pay what they do to go to a game, I have to believe a great many people would pay to watch the games at home as well.

In Canada for example, several NHL teams already have a premium channel where you pay a fee to watch all of that teams games for the season. I could see a similar model working nicely for the NFL as well. And they could have these channels on all the major providers, cable as well as satellite. Think of how many people here get the ticket now basically to watch Bills games.

Edited by CodeMonkey