Google to bid on Sunday Ticket? (link inside)

This just in: The NFL owns the content which means they're driving the bus. They dictate to carriers not the other way around.

This just in. That doesn't matter.

Chuck Lorre production owns Big Bang Theory. But Chuck can't redistribute the feed from CBS without CBS permission.

CBS PURCHASED the rights to that feed. If you transfer the rights to a player, you no longer own the rights.

You do realize that this is why the NFL hasn't signed a deal with a major cable company yet, right? CBS and FOX have been blocking it. Google it.

Edited by microscopes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in. That doesn't matter.

Chuck Lorre production owns Big Bang Theory. But Chuck can't redistribute the feed from CBS without CBS permission.

CBS PURCHASED the rights to that feed. If you transfer the rights to a player, you no longer own the rights.

You do realize that this is why the NFL hasn't signed a deal with a major cable company yet, right? CBS and FOX have been blocking it. Google it.

Have you ever read or heard the Copyright Notice that the NFL does a VO of for each and every game? Who do they say the material belongs to?

I'll answer it for you....THE NFL

Bottom line is the NFL Sunday Ticket Package is going to the highest bidder whether it's Google or not. I'm betting it will remain exclusive to boot.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Have you ever read or heard the Copyright Notice that the NFL does a VO of for each and every game? Who do they say the material belongs to?

Bottom line is the NFL Sunday Ticket Package is going to the highest bidder whether it's Google or not. I'm betting it will remain exclusive to boot.

Ok.

It seems very important for you to be right.

So you can be right.

I'll bow out.

(PS: We aren't talking about the right to the material or game. Were talking about the right to the feed)

Edited by microscopes

So I'm probably wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will tell me, but wouldn't the NFL make more money if they made all but national or local broadcasts, pay per view? Directv is not accessible to everyone, so if the games were available on a per game, pay per view from all providers, including the Internet, wouldn't that dramaticly increase the potential audience?

I use to spend $50 or more to sit in a Sports Bar and watch a game.

Ok.

So you can be right.

I'll bow out.

(PS: We aren't talking about the right to the material or game. Were talking about the right to the feed)

Stand up look, in the mirror, and repeat the bolded from your post. Trying to pin you down on your own postings is like playing whack a mole on a discussion forum.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Stand up look, in the mirror, and repeat the bolded from your post. Trying to pin you down on your own postings is like playing whack a mole on a discussion forum.

Ok.

So you can be right.

I'll bow out.

A major cable company hasn't bought the rights to Sunday Ticket, because no cable company has the same US reach that DirecTV has, and cable companies could not cooperate enough to put in a bid through inDemand to outbid DirecTV (which also had an exclusive negotiating window to extend Sunday Ticket, which they did).

NFL has never said it wanted to end exclusivity. All they're interested in is getting the highest bid for the rights, and DTV was happy to oblige. The local broadcasters' objections (it's not CBS & Fox, but the local affiliates who are not owned by CBS & Fox - but you knew that) don't matter to NFL, especially now that local broadcasters clout is evaporating. It's the same issue of lost ratings whether a person watches Sunday Ticket on DTV, cable or online. The only reason CBS & Fox are party to the Sunday Ticket contract is because Sunday Ticket is a rebroadcast of their feeds of NFL content, which NFL dictates them to broadcast on Sunday Ticket. The networks would actually like to expand the reach of Sunday Ticket because it would expand the total audience. Don't conflate the network with the local affiliate. Also re-read the LA Times article, it says nothing about CBS & Fox blocking the online feeds. It talks about what CBS & Fox may do when it's time to renegotiate their TV contracts.

The bidding this time around may be different, because there's greater ownership concentration in cable that they could band together to outbid DTV. The economics are different this time. With declining pay TV subscribers, there's less incentive to have a loss leader product and that's why DTV is hinting that it won't pay a high price to renew Sunday Ticket. Cable guys may consider bidding for an exclusive to win some customers back from satellite or telco TVs, but they may balk at the $1 billion tag. So it may become non exclusive by default because two parties may not want to pay a premium for the exclusive carriage. That's a different question for Google, which is building a media business and may want to throw well over $1 billion for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket.

A major cable company hasn't bought the rights to Sunday Ticket, because no cable company has the same US reach that DirecTV has, and cable companies could not cooperate enough to put in a bid through inDemand to outbid DirecTV (which also had an exclusive negotiating window to extend Sunday Ticket, which they did).

NFL has never said it wanted to end exclusivity. All they're interested in is getting the highest bid for the rights, and DTV was happy to oblige. The local broadcasters' objections (it's not CBS & Fox, but the local affiliates who are not owned by CBS & Fox - but you knew that) don't matter to NFL, especially now that local broadcasters clout is evaporating. It's the same issue of lost ratings whether a person watches Sunday Ticket on DTV, cable or online. The only reason CBS & Fox are party to the Sunday Ticket contract is because Sunday Ticket is a rebroadcast of their feeds of NFL content, which NFL dictates them to broadcast on Sunday Ticket. The networks would actually like to expand the reach of Sunday Ticket because it would expand the total audience. Don't conflate the network with the local affiliate. Also re-read the LA Times article, it says nothing about CBS & Fox blocking the online feeds. It talks about what CBS & Fox may do when it's time to renegotiate their TV contracts.

The bidding this time around may be different, because there's greater ownership concentration in cable that they could band together to outbid DTV. The economics are different this time. With declining pay TV subscribers, there's less incentive to have a loss leader product and that's why DTV is hinting that it won't pay a high price to renew Sunday Ticket. Cable guys may consider bidding for an exclusive to win some customers back from satellite or telco TVs, but they may balk at the $1 billion tag. So it may become non exclusive by default because two parties may not want to pay a premium for the exclusive carriage. That's a different question for Google, which is building a media business and may want to throw well over $1 billion for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket.

Ok.

You must be referring to the Bill's games!!

The only thing I watch is cartoons...

NFL could be using Google just to bid up what DTV offers, will it work, who knows?? I would not be happy if it went back to cable as doubt you'd get all the offers that you get from DTV. To me that's the biggest difference between the two, when cable offers you a deal, they give you $10 off, when DTV gives you a deal they'll knock of $50.

Can't see why cable would offer a big amount of money to outbid Google as they can let Google have it, then start charging big premiums for downloading the stream.

You can buy a bluRay player or a Roku for $60 to stream the games, that's like one months of cable/DTV bill

WOW, CNBC breaks a story? Couldn't open it based on the fact it's CNBC. Why doesn't google buy that dump?

Because Comcast already bought it

Because Comcast already bought it

This is a bit of a different issue but I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC/Comcast or Fox/Fox Sports 1 try to push out ABC/ESPN when that bid comes around. Each are pushing their own 24 hr sports network and that would be a nice plum of programming to poach from the Mothership

This is a bit of a different issue but I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC/Comcast or Fox/Fox Sports 1 try to push out ABC/ESPN when that bid comes around. Each are pushing their own 24 hr sports network and that would be a nice plum of programming to poach from the Mothership

It'll be a while....

CBS, Fox and NBC are locked in until 2022

ESPN until 2021

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/15/business/la-fi-ct-nfl-deals-20111215

It'll be a while....

CBS, Fox and NBC are locked in until 2022

ESPN until 2021

http://articles.lati...-deals-20111215

In the frightening sentence of the day, 2021 is only 8 years from now and the bidding will be in 2020 which is only 7 years away. My son will be 14. Jesus....

i think there's more to the bottom line than this but it's definitely about the bottom line. I think the nfl and many others sense a paradigm shift in television overall and their sense appears correct. the networks and especially the local affiliates become less relevant and important every day. they really are just content providers now. and there are plenty of other choices for content excluding sports, right now. hbo arguably produces better primetime shows than any of the "major" networks. even fx is producing better shows imo. the nfl can broadcast their own games if necessary. they've been pretty successful at this on a limited pilot scale with the nfl network. they won't or even possibly don't now need the networks for this task. other sports will likely follow suit if they can afford it. it might be a while more, but i'll bet we're headed away from the networks and towards google/apple etc as the mainstream and dominant sources of our tv enetertainment including sports.

Edited by birdog1960

• 3 months later...

Well, looks like non-DirecTV subscribers may have to wait a bit more for Sunday Ticket access.

And yes, the deal looks to be exclusive again.

Damn, no updates re: streaming options like the one that came with Madden this year, or ones that have been available through Playstation's network in the past...really hoping they keep these. Not having to to go the bar was pretty sweet this season.

Well, looks like non-DirecTV subscribers may have to wait a bit more for Sunday Ticket access.

And yes, the deal looks to be exclusive again.

Like there was any doubt. They will never let it go. Their whole business is based on it.

I have DTV, and I always laugh when for the last 10 years, other subscribers tell me, "Oh, we're going to get Sunday Ticket soon... DTV's contract is up...."

So I'm probably wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will tell me, but wouldn't the NFL make more money if they made all but national or local broadcasts, pay per view? Directv is not accessible to everyone, so if the games were available on a per game, pay per view from all providers, including the Internet, wouldn't that dramaticly increase the potential audience?

I use to spend $50 or more to sit in a Sports Bar and watch a game.

If it would increase their profit, then that is what the NFL would do. DTV pays a huge amount of money (over $700 million a year) for the exclusive rights in the United States. A Canadian satellite provider also carries the sunday ticket as well and also at least one cable provider in the great white north. 700 million is a LOT of pay per views ;)

If it would increase their profit, then that is what the NFL would do. DTV pays a huge amount of money (over $700 million a year) for the exclusive rights in the United States. A Canadian satellite provider also carries the sunday ticket as well and also at least one cable provider in the great white north. 700 million is a LOT of pay per views ;)

42 million a week @ $0.99 per would cover it.

Ya don't think the NFL could attract 42 million viewers/week league wide?

And that's not counting playoffs/Super Bowl