Google to bid on Sunday Ticket? (link inside)

Again, the number of Sunday Ticket subscribers who only have TVs with an RF connection is likely very, very small. If Google gets it, it would open up Sunday Ticket to much more than the 2 million subscribers it currently has through DTV.

BTW, how are those people with single TV hookups manage a connecting DTV and DVD players?

They lead lives of suffering.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL gets $10 billion/year just for the TV rights, which drwarfs the other sports by far. I'd say they're pretty smart in how they sell the product. It's not a given that they'll get more money by going pay per view, because the current contracts are essentially subsidized by TV audiences who don't watch NFL. In fact, they'll get far lower revenues by going PPV

Again, the number of Sunday Ticket subscribers who only have TVs with an RF connection is likely very, very small. If Google gets it, it would open up Sunday Ticket to much more than the 2 million subscribers it currently has through DTV.

BTW, how are those people with single TV hookups manage a connecting DTV and DVD players?

Most of them aren't. You have to realize that this world is made up of more than you and your friends. There are people in their 70's, and 80's, and 90's who like football as well but don't watch DVD players and Xbox and so forth. They have their television and a DirecTV Box.

I don't mean just an RF connection. I mean TV's with only one component input.

And if you think the number of people who have these are small, I direct your attention to the millions of people who outraged when digital television took hold and they had to buy the adapters.

There are more online Netflix customers than there are mail customers. It will be relatively easy to manage the Sunday Ticket server load, especially for the largest owner of servers in the world to provision the exact same 8 hours of video to the same 2-3 million people on 17 Sundays per year.

That's not true.

If it was, YouTube wouldn't have the severe buffering issues it does. If that were true, Google wouldn't have had to assure Advertisers over and over again that they are working on the buffering issues.

That's not at all like having to pay for an external device like a box and a satellite dish, which some urban customers aren't even allowed to have installed. :rolleyes: Not to mention that a one-time purchase of a $35 USB dongle, or Apple TV, or whatever you like can more readily accommodate a rapidly shifting media landscape than can lock-in with a proprietary box.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that YouTube doesn't have full television broadcasting. So they are STILL going to have to pay for that external DirecTV box and then PAY AGAIN for the Apple TV (or insert other comparable) and then PAY AGAIN for service.

If the NFL wants to sell to both DirecTV AND Google, then great. That's a good step forward. However, if they are giving the sole rights to Google, like they have done with DirecTV, that would be a horrible mistake.

There is already a 10+ page thread on how to save money with DirecTV's Sunday Ticket. I can't imagine what that would turn into if they had to pay for DirecTV + External Viewing Medium + Sunday Ticket.

Edited by microscopes

Do you think they would have the sole rights? If that's the case, that would really blow. Who wants to watch a full game on your computer?

Anyone who uses Netflix?

Presumably they would open up access to other boxes that support internet streaming - not just full-up computers.

That's not true.

If it was, YouTube wouldn't have the severe buffering issues it does. If that were true, Google wouldn't have had to assure Advertisers over and over again that they are working on the buffering issues.

Not sure what the YouTube comparison has to Sunday Ticket, but you do know you can already stream Sunday Ticket to your TV and, yes, it actually works.

Not saying there aren't slow downs or the occasional drop, but most of the time the Bills games stream just fine over the old Interweb...

Most of them aren't. You have to realize that this world is made up of more than you and your friends. There are people in their 70's, and 80's, and 90's who like football as well but don't watch DVD players and Xbox and so forth. They have their television and a DirecTV Box.

I don't mean just an RF connection. I mean TV's with only one component input.

And if you think the number of people who have these are small, I direct your attention to the millions of people who outraged when digital television took hold and they had to buy the adapters.

1) a component switcher is really cheap these days

2) Those digital adapters were provided free of charge.

I'm planning on doing this myself, for when the season starts. Need to find a long enough HDMI cord though. Any knowledge on max length before signal loss?

I did this last year for my parents via Sunday Ticket's online feature since my parents house doesn't have a clear view of the sky for a signal.

The end result: HORRIBLE. It'll work fine during the pre-season when 20 people are watching. During the regular season: 10 seconds of play, buffering, 10 seconds of play, buffering, 10 seconds of play, buffering, just the sound but no picture, buffering ... etc.

Hopefully that'll be fixed this year.

Not sure what the YouTube comparison has to Sunday Ticket, but you do know you can already stream Sunday Ticket to your TV and, yes, it actually works.

Not saying there aren't slow downs or the occasional drop, but most of the time the Bills games stream just fine over the old Interweb...

Read what I wrote above ^

The YouTube comparison was because someone else brought up YouTube.

2) Those digital adapters were provided free of charge.

Which is hilarious why people were so outraged.

Yeah, considering an HD box is a per month charge and DVR is an additional charge on top of that, I'm not entirely sure which decade microscopes is living in...

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that YouTube doesn't have full television broadcasting. So they are STILL going to have to pay for that external DirecTV box and then PAY AGAIN for the Apple TV (or insert other comparable) and then PAY AGAIN for service.

I love the way it is now, because it works for me. Directv has been great and usually gives it to me for free (or at least discounts the price of the Sunday Ticket).

I also have the DVR set to automatically record anything related to the Buffalo Bills. Now that I married with children, there are times when I am unable to watch a game live (or in person). Whatever happens with the package, I hope that there is a way to watch it in my home theatre both live and later.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Yes, back on topic, because I geek out over content delivery systems (seriously).

No way Apple is setup to deliver...

Apple already carries MLB.tv, which is way more complex than Extra Innings. You get every single game instead of most games, AND you get to pick which team's feed to watch, or even the radio feeds if you want. Methinks apple could figure out Sunday Ticket. The only real difference would be the crush of bandwidth with games being the same day and time every week.

The NFL gets $10 billion/year just for the TV rights, which drwarfs the other sports by far. I'd say they're pretty smart in how they sell the product. It's not a given that they'll get more money by going pay per view, because the current contracts are essentially subsidized by TV audiences who don't watch NFL. In fact, they'll get far lower revenues by going PPV

]

It's actually $20B

I contend that offering it online would open it up to international customers. You don't think between commercial and private-residential customers on the internationa market they could sell products ranging from $10-100 and be able to scrape together $20B?

Plus, they would still have to rely on cable companies to provide the ppv service, a service they'd have to pay for too.

Chromecast costs $35 - that's what, 4 months of cable box rental? Better start the Kickstarter now...

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/14/honest-chromecast-review/

And, really who cares? If you don't want to stream Sunday Ticket you'll still be able to get the games on TV and probably though Direct TV too.

Not sure why anyone would argue for MORE access to Sunday Ticket - only on TBD...

Apple already carries MLB.tv, which is way more complex than Extra Innings. You get every single game instead of most games, AND you get to pick which team's feed to watch, or even the radio feeds if you want. Methinks apple could figure out Sunday Ticket. The only real difference would be the crush of bandwidth with games being the same day and time every week.

Hmmm...interesting. I guess the difference being Apple doesn't exclusively push MLBTV as the next company to get the ST contract likely will.

Chromecast costs $35 - that's what, 4 months of cable box rental? Better start the Kickstarter now...

http://gigaom.com/20...omecast-review/

And, really who cares? If you don't want to stream Sunday Ticket you'll still be able to get the games on TV and probably though Direct TV too.

Not sure why anyone would argue for MORE access to Sunday Ticket - only on TBD...

Who said anyone was arguing for more access? I think you are having trouble understanding.

Furthermore, Chromecast does not cover live television broadcast unless one of the applications support it. Therefore you would still have to have your cable box.

Edited by microscopes

They wouldn't. DTV subscribers (unless they're stupidly rich) prob don't have Internet TV and visa versa. That's the whole point. One is an alternative to the other.

.. especially someone arguing about technology, who's clueless about the technology they're arguing about.

They wouldn't. DTV subscribers (unless they're stupidly rich) prob don't have Internet TV and visa versa. That's the whole point. One is an alternative to the other.

Perhaps I am not understanding. Where would the internet TV come from? What service are you speaking of exactly?

.. especially someone arguing about technology, who's clueless about the technology they're arguing about.

I don't? Ok...

You still haven't explained anything. My original post was whether Google would be in addition to DirecTV or a sole provider.

Then all subsequent posts were under the assumption that Google received sole rights to the service.