Google to bid on Sunday Ticket? (link inside)

1) You must be privy to all of the internal strategic thinking of these entertainment providers to make such a definitive statement.

2) Neither Fox, CBS, ESPN, nor NBC have any say at all in the matter.

Hahahahaha.

Wow.

Yes, yes they do.

Edited by microscopes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahahaha.

Wow.

Yes, yes they do.

Why do you think Fox and CBS has to sign off on the Sunday Ticket deal?

Fox and CBS get their local markets protected via blackout such that the local affiliates advertising revenues are not affected. It's simply not an issue for them.

1) You must be privy to all of the internal strategic thinking of these entertainment providers to make such a definitive statement.

2) Neither Fox, CBS, ESPN, nor NBC have any say at all in the matter.

he does seem to have an understanding of the subject, substantiated by sources.

He must be a troll.....

Edited by JaxBills

he does seem to have an understanding of the subject, substantiated by sources.

He must be a troll.....

Yeah, I just let it roll off my back at this point.

Fox and CBS get their local markets protected via blackout such that the local affiliates advertising revenues are not affected. It's simply not an issue for them.

Actually, it's a very big issue.

"Concerning Google: The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online that were not available in their town, it could hurt the ratings for their local stations. Even though the ratings for a game watched on Sunday Ticket count toward CBS and Fox's national rating, a Los Angeles resident watching a game in the Washington market doesn't do their local stations any good. This is why the NFL has resisted the urge to offer Sunday Ticket to cable operators such as Time Warner Cable and Comcast who would be very eager to get the package away from DirecTV. The risk is that it would ultimately harm CBS and Fox and make them less eager to spend so much on football."

Actually, it's a very big issue.

"Concerning Google: The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online that were not available in their town, it could hurt the ratings for their local stations. Even though the ratings for a game watched on Sunday Ticket count toward CBS and Fox's national rating, a Los Angeles resident watching a game in the Washington market doesn't do their local stations any good. This is why the NFL has resisted the urge to offer Sunday Ticket to cable operators such as Time Warner Cable and Comcast who would be very eager to get the package away from DirecTV. The risk is that it would ultimately harm CBS and Fox and make them less eager to spend so much on football."

Sounds like an argument for keeping Sunday Ticket exclusivity to me vs making it more widely available via multiple providers. Underscores my point even more. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sounds like an argument for keeping Sunday Ticket exclusivity to me vs making it more widely available via multiple providers. Underscores my point even more. Thanks. :thumbsup:

No. The argument is against Google, and online distribution. Re-read the paragraph. "The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online". Online being the key word. Cable companies wanted to have the primary program plus online streaming. CBS and Fox said NO and the NFL said NO as well.

Therefore, cable companies will not have their content online. This is because the NFL will most likely remove exclusivity among primary programming and auction off the online portion. My bet is DTV keeps their Max Online Programming in the auction and simply buys their share of the Sunday Ticket non exclusive primary programming.

IF they could keep it exclusively with DirecTV, they might do that. But I don't think they can. DirecTV doesn't want it anymore. It's costing too much money and their membership among Sunday Ticket holders is falling due to the red zone channel. And they can't give exclusive right to Google because CBS and Fox would not allow it.

The fact that you thought that paragraph had to do with multiple providers streaming the primary programming says all I need to know about your knowledge on this subject. No offense.

Edited by microscopes

I would love to stream games. Bottom line is Cable and satellite is expensive for what you get. You are forced to buy stations you don't even watch. With streaming you will pay for what you want to watch.

Exactly. I would never consider Sunday ticket today because I decided it's not worth it to subscribe to any cable or dish. It's too expensive for what you get. I can get what I need over the air in HD. Anything else I'll get on demand one way or another without needing to pay a hefty monthly fee regardless of whether or not I turn the TV on.

That being said, I'd strongly consider Sunday ticket if it wasn't bundled on top of a monthly cable or dish package.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

No. The argument is against Google, and online distribution. Re-read the paragraph. "The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online". Online being the key word. Cable companies wanted to have the primary program plus online streaming. CBS and Fox said NO and the NFL said NO as well.

Therefore, cable companies will not have their content online. This is because the NFL will most likely remove exclusivity among primary programming and auction off the online portion. My bet is DTV keeps their Max Online Programming in the auction and simply buys their share of the Sunday Ticket non exclusive primary programming.

IF they could keep it exclusively with DirecTV, they might do that. But I don't think they can. DirecTV doesn't want it anymore. It's costing too much money and their membership among Sunday Ticket holders is falling due to the red zone channel. And they can't give exclusive right to Google because CBS and Fox would not allow it.

The fact that you thought that paragraph had to do with multiple providers streaming the primary programming says all I need to know about your knowledge on this subject. No offense.

No offense taken. I wasn't talking about multiple providers streaming. You simply drew the wrong inference.

You're expressing your opinion just like I am. At least I have the precedence of exclusivity for both DirecTV and Verizon wireless as exclusive providers.

All of your posting is nothing more than opining based on your guess work of the inside strategy of the NFL and media companies. You really have no idea and your vociferous posts are meaningless. Time tells no lies so we shall see.

No offense taken. I wasn't talking about multiple providers streaming. You simply drew the wrong inference.

You're expressing your opinion just like I am. At least I have the precedence of exclusivity for both DirecTV and Verizon wireless as exclusive providers.

All of your posting is nothing more than opining based on your guess work of the inside strategy of the NFL and media companies. You really have no idea and your vociferous posts are meaningless. Time tells no lies so we shall see.

As another poster pointed out, all of my posts are backed up in some way by a fact or a quote.

1) FACT: Fox and CBS will not allow Google to have exclusive rights. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

2) FACT: DirecTV said they will either go non-exclusive with their Sunday Ticket or not have it all. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

3) FACT: The NFL has wanted to go Non-Exclusive for many years now. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

You just refuse to listen. Which is your right.

Edited by microscopes

And inference from incorrect suppositions from a news article.

As another poster pointed out, all of my posts are backed up in some way by a fact or a quote.

1) FACT: Fox and CBS will not allow Google to have exclusive rights. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

2) FACT: DirecTV said they will either go non-exclusive with their Sunday Ticket or not have it all. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

3) FACT: The NFL has wanted to go Non-Exclusive for many years now. This isn't guesswork. This is established.

You just refuse to listen. Which is your right.

All three of your so called facts are complete Hogwash. You're more than welcome to continue to live in the realm of alternate reality.

And inference from incorrect suppositions from a news article.

Indeed.

Another view from an Internet naif

"But that is going to eat up a lot of resources, and it’s going to be difficult to do much quality of service. It’s one thing to originate it and distribute it. It’s another to make sure that every peered Internet provider will get it to the home at a quality Google wants it delivered. I’ve always been skeptical of scaling live events, but I’m softening. Not because the technology has improved so dramatically — it hasn’t. What has changed is people’s expectation of picture quality. I think there may be enough people who will accept buffering and lesser quality." - Mark Cuban

He literally just said exactly what I've said for pages. It will be slow, it will buffer greatly, it'll take a ton of resources, and the picture quality won't be great.

WTH would I listen to a highly successful entrepreneur like Mark Cuban when I'm already under the microscopes? :lol:

LOL. Did you READ it???? He agreed with me lol.

All three of your so called facts are complete Hogwash. You're more than welcome to continue to live in the realm of alternate reality.

Actually all three of those facts have been widely known and published. Google. Its your friend.

More from Mark Cuban.

"They can do Sunday Ticket. But they have to anticipate the fallout, and negative brand impact, from fans who really, really want the best quality picture on their big screen TVs. While Google can handle the technical side of delivery, they’ll have the QOS issues I mentioned above.

So DirecTV will blow away the picture quality and continuity of picture and service that Google can offer at this point. And every football fan will thank them if they keep the rights."

Hilarious.

I'm laughing my ass off thinking about how 26CornerBlitz didn't read the article so he thought Mark was agreeing with him. Hahahahaha.

"But that is going to eat up a lot of resources, and it’s going to be difficult to do much quality of service. It’s one thing to originate it and distribute it. It’s another to make sure that every peered Internet provider will get it to the home at a quality Google wants it delivered. I’ve always been skeptical of scaling live events, but I’m softening. Not because the technology has improved so dramatically — it hasn’t. What has changed is people’s expectation of picture quality. I think there may be enough people who will accept buffering and lesser quality." - Mark Cuban

He literally just said exactly what I've said for pages. It will be slow, it will buffer greatly, it'll take a ton of resources, and the picture quality won't be great.

LOL. Did you READ it???? He agreed with me lol.

Actually all three of those facts have been widely known and published. Google. Its your friend.

More from Mark Cuban.

"They can do Sunday Ticket. But they have to anticipate the fallout, and negative brand impact, from fans who really, really want the best quality picture on their big screen TVs. While Google can handle the technical side of delivery, they’ll have the QOS issues I mentioned above.

So DirecTV will blow away the picture quality and continuity of picture and service that Google can offer at this point. And every football fan will thank them if they keep the rights."

Hilarious.

I'm laughing my ass off thinking about how 26CornerBlitz didn't read the article so he thought Mark was agreeing with him. Hahahahaha.

How is he agreeing with you when you said Fox and CBS will not allow Google to have NFL Sunday Ticket? :lol:

Surprise! Cuban thinks the Web, and Google, are capable of delivering NFL games to your TV. Less surprising is that Cuban has lots of other things to say. Short version: Cuban says that Google would be smart to grab the NFL’s Sunday Ticket rights from DirecTV.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No, he didn't. You've been saying Google couldn't handle it. He's saying the bottleneck is at the local ISP provider.

You've also been saying it's a prohibitive technical limitation, he's saying it's merely a trade-off (broadcast quality vs. online convenience).

No, he didn't. You've been saying Google couldn't handle it. He's saying the bottleneck is at the local ISP provider.

You've also been saying it's a prohibitive technical limitation, he's saying it's merely a trade-off (broadcast quality vs. online convenience).

Actually, I said the push and pull from the local data center would get logjammed. Why would a data farm get logjammed? Because without a cache to pull from, the ISP would get overloaded. And in that sense, Google can't handle it. They have no way to faciliate the exchange between data farm and ISP. Which is what has plagued YouTube FOREVER. Don't take my word for it, go ahead back up a few pages and take a look for yourself.

The bottleneck is at the datafarm. Not at the local ISP. Well, sorta. But this is something Google has attempted to fix for a VERY LONG TIME. They still haven't done it with simple 30 second YouTube videos. Thats why it wasnt until a couple of years ago that they allowed any videos past 10 minutes long.

No one here has been arguing that Google can't send the feed. No one here said Google can't facilitate the video. It just would not work well at all. It would be downright horrible. It would be 20 minutes late, buffering every 30 seconds or so, crashing often etc.

How is he agreeing with you when you said Fox and CBS will not allow Google to have NFL Sunday Ticket? :lol:

Surprise! Cuban thinks the Web, and Google, are capable of delivering NFL games to your TV. Less surprising is that Cuban has lots of other things to say. Short version: Cuban says that Google would be smart to grab the NFL’s Sunday Ticket rights from DirecTV.

If you go back a few pages, what started this conversation is the technical side of what can and can't be done or done well.

Yes, ABC and FOX would not allow them to be the exclusive provider. Won't happen. Ever.

What were talking about now is the technical aspect.

Yes, Google can technically push a feed to your ISP. No one said that literally can't be done. It can't be done well. And there will be tons of buffering and performance issues and lots of crashing. It would be horrible.

The Bills are capable of fielding an NFL team wth 4 foot 1 inch little people. It's possible. It won't work well. It'll be horrible. It's possible though.

Edited by microscopes

If you go back a few pages, what started this conversation is the technical side of what can and can't be done or done well.

Yes, ABC and FOX would not allow them to be the exclusive provider. Won't happen. Ever.

Did Roger Goodell ask for permission from the Execs at Fox and CBS before the convening of this meeting?: http://allthingsd.com/20130820/is-google-ready-to-buy-its-way-into-tv-with-an-nfl-deal/

Today, according to sources, Google CEO Larry Page, along with YouTube content boss Robert Kyncl, met with a delegation from the NFL led by commissioner Roger Goodell. And the Sunday Ticket package was among the topics of discussion, according to people familiar with the meeting.

If I may break it down for you fine folks:

"So DirecTV will blow away the picture quality" (This means the picture is going to blow horrible chunks)

"and continuity of picture" (This means the feed will crash often and buffer even more often. )

"and service that Google can offer at this point" (This means when you call Google to complain about the service you paid for, there will be nothing they can do to help you.)

Did Roger Goodell ask for permission from the Execs at Fox and CBS before the convening of this meeting?: http://allthingsd.co...th-an-nfl-deal/

Today, according to sources, Google CEO Larry Page, along with YouTube content boss Robert Kyncl, met with a delegation from the NFL led by commissioner Roger Goodell. And the Sunday Ticket package was among the topics of discussion, according to people familiar with the meeting.

Roger doesn't need permission to have a meeting.

He will need permission to broadcast FOX and CBS's exclusive programming, yes. This is basic law 101. You can't take a feed from a network and allow it to be rebroadcast without their signature on the contract.

Which is why FOX and CBS sign all of the DirecTV exclusive contracts as well.

I think the writing is on the wall. DirecTV will give up exclusivity. A cable network will probably join. Google will receive the Online Streaming rights. And I believe Verizon has the mobile rights.

It will be all broken up.

If I may break it down for you fine folks:

"So DirecTV will blow away the picture quality" (This means the picture is going to blow horrible chunks)

"and continuity of picture" (This means the feed will crash often and buffer even more often. )

"and service that Google can offer at this point" (This means when you call Google to complain about the service you paid for, there will be nothing they can do to help you.)

Roger doesn't need permission to have a meeting.

He will need permission to broadcast FOX and CBS's exclusive programming, yes. This is basic law 101. You can't take a feed from a network and allow it to be rebroadcast without their signature on the contract.

Which is why FOX and CBS sign all of the DirecTV exclusive contracts as well.

This just in: The NFL owns the content which means they're driving the bus. They dictate to carriers not the other way around.