Google to bid on Sunday Ticket? (link inside)

I might be off here but don't CBS and Fox have a bit of a say in this. I know the games are the property of the NFL but the games are on these networks and DTV and whoever else takes from them, correct or no?

Absolutely.

And they don't want Google. At all.

"The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online that were not available in their town, it could hurt the ratings for their local stations. Even though the ratings for a game watched on Sunday Ticket count toward CBS and Fox's national rating, a Los Angeles resident watching a game in the Washington market doesn't do their local stations any good. This is why the NFL has resisted the urge to offer Sunday Ticket to cable operators such as Time Warner Cable and Comcast who would be very eager to get the package away from DirecTV. The risk is that it would ultimately harm CBS and Fox and make them less eager to spend so much on football."

http://www.latimes.c...0,1393177.story

Edited by microscopes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the additional link (Exclusive deal for Verizon wireless streaming of NFL Sunday Games) in post 93 as concrete evidence that is counter to your argument.

That's exclusive for mobile devices. Not primary viewing. It doesn't matter to the NFL either way if mobile streaming is exclusive or not because of the low user rate.

I thought that was assumed...

I might be off here but don't CBS and Fox have a bit of a say in this. I know the games are the property of the NFL but the games are on these networks and DTV and whoever else takes from them, correct or no?

I believe so. However, all games are broadcast by them, so even though I am watching on Sunday Ticket, I am still watching a FOX/CBS broadcast. They might have to make some adjustments but I am sure they will be compensated/included. Also, since Sunday Ticket does not allow you to watch local broadcats or blacked out games, it really wouldn't have any effect on the local channels.

That's exclusive for mobile devices. Not primary viewing. It doesn't matter to the NFL either way if mobile streaming is exclusive or not because of the low user rate.

Not to mention that is easily bypassed by puchasing Sunday Ticket Max.

DirecTV is already thinking about going non-exclusive and the rates are at a point of diminishing returns.

"Last month, Chief Financial Officer Patrick Doyle suggested there was a point at which the company would simply consider going non-exclusive. On the topic of a potential carriage deal for the new Time Warner Cable-backed Dodgers TV network, White warned that he’d be figuring out cost per subscriber per game along with ratings and compare all the other RSN fees."

http://www.nypost.co...FgI9GGmhcx2FLML

Not to mention that is easily bypassed by puchasing Sunday Ticket Max.

Bingo.

Edited by microscopes

Where's your evidence that the NFL is going to a non-exclusive model other than opining against current and past precedent?

Further proof of non-exclusivity in the next contract.

"DirecTV currently pays $1 billion per year for the package. DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said in March that the satellite giant could strike a non-exclusive deal with NFL or dump the package completely when the current deal expires after the 2014 season. The value of the Sunday Ticket package has diminished in recent years, given the rise of the RedZone package, which whips fans around from game to game, focusing on the most compelling moments."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/21/googleyoutube-could-make-a-run-at-sunday-ticket/

Where's your evidence that the NFL is going to a non-exclusive model other than opining against current and past precedent?

Well the fact that the NFL has been wanting to do this for years, and the fact that DirecTV said they are open to being non-exclusive in the next contract because the value of Sunday Ticket has dropped dramatically and is not worth $1 bill anymore and the fact that CBS and FOX don't want Google to have exclusive rights and they pretty much call the shots when it comes to the television deals.

"DirecTV currently pays $1 billion per year for the package. DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said in March that the satellite giant could strike a non-exclusive deal with NFL or dump the package completely when the current deal expires after the 2014 season. The value of the Sunday Ticket package has diminished in recent years, given the rise of the RedZone package, which whips fans around from game to game, focusing on the most compelling moments."

http://profootballta...-sunday-ticket/

Well the fact that the NFL has been wanting to do this for years, and the fact that DirecTV said they are open to being non-exclusive in the next contract because the value of Sunday Ticket has dropped dramatically and is not worth $1 bill anymore and the fact that CBS and FOX don't want Google to have exclusive rights and they pretty much call the shots when it comes to the television deals.

Direct quote from the article: "DirecTV currently pays $1 billion per year for the package. DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said in March that the satellite giant could strike a non-exclusive deal with NFL or dump the package completely when the current deal expires after the 2014 season."

This is conjecture of non-exclusivity and certainly not evidence. If I see it from a legitimate NFL source then that's a whole different story.

In which case the NFL would have to widen it's potential customer base, leading to non-exclusive deals while maintaining their revune stream.

That only speaks from DTV's perspective because they're finally admitting that Sunday Ticket has been a loss leader for them. There's nothing that indicates that the NFL wouldn't be interested in an exclusive deal with either a Google, Apple, or a cable consortium. NFL's negotiation for the Thursday night game package is perfect illustration of how the league balances cash vs wider audience distribution. At the end of the day, dollars win out.

Direct quote from the article: "DirecTV currently pays $1 billion per year for the package. DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said in March that the satellite giant could strike a non-exclusive deal with NFL or dump the package completely when the current deal expires after the 2014 season."

This is conjecture of non-exclusivity and certainly not evidence. If I see it from a legitimate NFL source then that's a whole different story.

That is from DirecTV. They decide whether they are willing to agree to exclusivety just as much as the NFL. Are you for real?

We aren't using sources my man, this is just plain old common economic sense. These stories just foreshadow what could come. The CFO even implying that a non-exclusive deal could be reached, tells me he knows something that we don't. At least not yet.

That only speaks from DTV's perspective because they're finally admitting that Sunday Ticket has been a loss leader for them. There's nothing that indicates that the NFL wouldn't be interested in an exclusive deal with either a Google, Apple, or a cable consortium. NFL's negotiation for the Thursday night game package is perfect illustration of how the league balances cash vs wider audience distribution. At the end of the day, dollars win out.

Wrong.

The NFL has wanted to be non-exclusive for quite some time. That is no secret. DirecTV kept winning the bid because they were giving an absurd amount of money for a product that wasn't worth it. NOW, the ratings are at their all time lows because of the red zone channel. Now DirecTV won't give that absurd amount of money. And neither will Google. Because it makes no financial sense. And EVEN IF Google did offer that, CBS and FOX would most likely block that deal.

We aren't using sources my man, this is just plain old common economic sense. These stories just foreshadow what could come. The CFO even implying that a non-exclusive deal could be reached, tells me he knows something that we don't. At least not yet.

Listen. Here's the thing. I haven't been on this forum very long, but i've learned in my short time being here that some people have a very difficult time admitting that they are wrong. You just have to give them the facts of why it won't happen, let them spew their venom, and go along your way.

It's sad it has to be that way, but, it is what it is.

Youre 100% right by the way.

They're not the only provider who is expressing interest....See the title of the thread. ;)

Correct. And CBS and FOX would most likely block any exclusive agreement with Google. Which would leave the NFL with the option of non-exclusivity. Which is something they have wanted for a long time. And now that DirecTV won't pay them that absurd amount of money, is something they'll probably HAVE to do.

That is from DirecTV. They decide whether they are willing to agree to exclusivety just as much as the NFL. Are you for real?

Yes, he is for real and he's closer to the truth. DTV's statements are an opening salvo to next year's renegotiation to hint to the NFL that DTV may not be willing to pay the same premium increase for exclusivity as it did in the past. When you hear someone like Steve Bornstein say that the NFL will no longer offer contracts on an exclusive basis, then it's a different story.

Doesn't tell me squat. Public posturing before negotiations with the NFL. If DTV doesn't step up to the plate to retain Sunday Ticket, they will lose subscribers in droves and they know it.

Another provider will simply pony up to a huge rights deal and they will get exclusivity for the expensive rights fees.

Wrong.

The NFL has wanted to be non-exclusive for quite some time. That is no secret. DirecTV kept winning the bid because they were giving an absurd amount of money for a product that wasn't worth it. NOW, the ratings are at their all time lows because of the red zone channel. Now DirecTV won't give that absurd amount of money. And neither will Google. Because it makes no financial sense. And EVEN IF Google did offer that, CBS and FOX would most likely block that deal.

Listen. Here's the thing. I haven't been on this forum very long, but i've learned in my short time being here that some people have a very difficult time admitting that they are wrong. You just have to give them the facts of why it won't happen, let them spew their venom, and go along your way.

It's sad it has to be that way, but, it is what it is.

Youre 100% right by the way.

Correct. And CBS and FOX would most likely block any exclusive agreement with Google. Which would leave the NFL with the option of non-exclusivity. Which is something they have wanted for a long time. And now that DirecTV won't pay them that absurd amount of money, is something they'll probably HAVE to do.

Uhm, if they don't block the current Sunday Ticket on DTV, how can they block Sunday Ticket on Google?

I'm done with the trolls.

Doesn't tell me squat. Public posturing before negotiations with the NFL. If DTV doesn't step up to the plate to retain Sunday Ticket, they will lose subscribers in droves and they know it.

Another provider will simply pony up to a huge rights deal and they will get exclusivity for the expensive rights fees.

No they wont.

Because no other provider will match that deal.

The reason other providers haven't received exclusivity is because:

1) They won't give that amount of money and has openly said it.

2) Fox and CBS don't want them to have it.

Uhm, if they don't block the current Sunday Ticket on DTV, how can they block Sunday Ticket on Google?

I'm done with the trolls.

This is another example of you not understanding the economics of the business. They have no problem with it being on DirecTV because it expands their national profile without hurting their local profile.

Google does the opposite.

Don't believe me? Here's an article about it: "Concerning Google:The concern of CBS and Fox is if enough people were watching football games online that were not available in their town, it could hurt the ratings for their local stations. Even though the ratings for a game watched on Sunday Ticket count toward CBS and Fox's national rating, a Los Angeles resident watching a game in the Washington market doesn't do their local stations any good. This is why the NFL has resisted the urge to offer Sunday Ticket to cable operators such as Time Warner Cable and Comcast who would be very eager to get the package away from DirecTV. The risk is that it would ultimately harm CBS and Fox and make them less eager to spend so much on football."

http://www.latimes.c...0,1393177.story

Edited by microscopes

No they wont.

Because no other provider will match that deal.

The reason other providers haven't received exclusivity is because:

1) They won't give that amount of money and has openly said it.

2) Fox and CBS don't want them to have it.

1) You must be privy to all of the internal strategic thinking of these entertainment providers to make such a definitive statement.

2) Neither Fox, CBS, ESPN, nor NBC have any say at all in the matter.