Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

Did you watch the Arizona game last season. Who was the biggest game changer on the field that day? Hint Hint.

I can promise you that no team game plans to stay away from jairus Byrd, like they do with reed and polamalu. He's a good safety. But he's not even on the same planet as guys like polamalu and reed.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done by first-year GM Doug Whaley. Don't cave, don't estrange the player, just wait it out and welcome him back.

Smart, smart approach.

Now the team has it's best safety back in the fold, which brings the level of the defense up significantly from starting Searcy.

Now let's get EJ healthy and get the season rolling.

Don't panic in response to freaking fans and sports writers.

PTR

The reason why he signed was due to the benjamins‎ not because he wanted to join the fun of the defense.

If a player is not signed within a certain number of days before start of season (do not remember exact number of days) a team can ask for a roster exemption for player - players get paid per game and if player is not on active roster then he does not get part of franchise tag money. He waited until last possible day.

Here is article backing this:

http://sports.yahoo....37564--nfl.html

Cool, I asked about this a couple of weeks back but everyone said he would get paid no matter what.

I guess "POS agent" Eugene Parker doesn't know when week 10 is and doesn't want Byrd to play for the Bills.

Or its possible that Byrd knows his value will be close to zero by week 10 since this is a new D.

I take it Byrd and Williams are the starting safety's now, with Searcy also seeing significant playing time.

Another interesting thing is the Coach Bellicheat will have little tape on Byrd in the new D. Along with uncertainty over who will be the Bills QB. The tables of knowledge are turning. Probably won't help much, but I'll take any measure of help against the Pats*.

Edited by RyanC883

I can promise you that no team game plans to stay away from jairus Byrd, like they do with reed and polamalu. He's a good safety. But he's not even on the same planet as guys like polamalu and reed.

Couldn't disagree more JR. Five years ago those guys were game-planned for. Not anymore. Byrd is a better player than both right now.

Couldn't disagree more JR. Five years ago those guys were game-planned for. Not anymore. Byrd is a better player than both right now.

I agree.

unless JR was meaning that teams did game plan around polamalu and reed and he does not think they do that with Byrd today.

I do not see Byrd having the same impact on the game as those two safeties DID in their respective primes. And at the same point Byrd is Troy P and Ed R where way more respected then Byrd is. We can debate why that might be, like the defenses for those teams was better.

Honestly right now i think Byrd ads the final piece to the puzzle for this D to go out and be pretty darn good. Lets hope we stay clear of the injury bug for the most part. Byrd should benefit from Pettines style of D. maybe by next offseason he will be seen as the best safety!

You can count the number of safeties in the history of the league that were actually "game-planned" for on less than one hand. Byrd is a good free safety and makes us better to be sure, but let's not get carried away.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree.

unless JR was meaning that teams did game plan around polamalu and reed and he does not think they do that with Byrd today.

I do not see Byrd having the same impact on the game as those two safeties DID in their respective primes. And at the same point Byrd is Troy P and Ed R where way more respected then Byrd is. We can debate why that might be, like the defenses for those teams was better.

Honestly right now i think Byrd ads the final piece to the puzzle for this D to go out and be pretty darn good. Lets hope we stay clear of the injury bug for the most part. Byrd should benefit from Pettines style of D. maybe by next offseason he will be seen as the best safety!

It's kind of an interesting debate.

Would you rather have a hall of fame/former defensive MVP on the downswing of his career, or an above-average safety in his prime?

I would take the former, because I think he's largely over the injuries that have slowed him.

and even if they are as good for a play or two, their health is a much bigger issue than byrd. obviously luck plays a role in that but generally speaking byrds body should hold up better to the weekly beatings.

It's kind of an interesting debate.

Would you rather have a hall of fame/former defensive MVP on the downswing of his career, or an above-average safety in his prime?

I would take the former, because I think he's largely over the injuries that have slowed him.

Two old and injury prone safeties over Byrd? Troy P can't seem to stay healthy with just 7 games played last season.and the Ravens just let Reed go. Hell, Reed isn't even healthy now.

At this juncture, it's Byrd flying high over both of them.