Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that. If I couldn't sign him to a long term contract after the season, because he wanted 9 mil a year and I was only willing to pay him 8, I would franchise him for another year at 8.4 and then try again the next year, depending on the affect he had on the field and the team, to sign him to a long term deal.

Byrd would still come out ahead. The long term contract today would pay $20 - $22 million guaranteed over 3 years. If Bills tag him next year, he'd get $15.5 million guaranteed over 2 years. It's highly likely he would get more than $7 million in 2015. That's why there's little difference to Parker whether Byrd is franchised again next year. (Provided he stays healthy)

Byrd would still come out ahead. The long term contract today would pay $20 - $22 million guaranteed over 3 years. If Bills tag him next year, he'd get $15.5 million guaranteed over 2 years. It's highly likely he would get more than $7 million in 2015. That's why there's little difference to Parker whether Byrd is franchised again next year. (Provided he stays healthy)

Oh, I see what you mean about that. Yeah, Parker and Byrd MAY not mind, although because of injury they very well might, especially because there seems to be a lot of them lately. I thought you meant that the Bills wouldn't franchise him next year, which is seemingly what you said, if they don't sign him right away. I still think they will try to sign him right away, and if they can't, they will franchise him again. The 15.5 mil is a fair price for his services for two years. It's a lot of money but is what he is worth, compared to players at his position around the league.

Weddle and Goldson were overpaid, period! The only game changing safeties in league today are Reed and Polamalu. Woodson is a notch below.

It's not 2005. Polamalu has not been an impact safety in a while, Woodson was on the waiver wire and Reed has been beat up. There is a new generation of up and coming safeties and Byrd is certainly in that mix. I would take him over any of those guys at this point. He is a top 3 safety at this point IMO.

Oh, I see what you mean about that. Yeah, Parker and Byrd MAY not mind, although because of injury they very well might, especially because there seems to be a lot of them lately. I thought you meant that the Bills wouldn't franchise him next year, which is seemingly what you said, if they don't sign him right away. I still think they will try to sign him right away, and if they can't, they will franchise him again. The 15.5 mil is a fair price for his services for two years. It's a lot of money but is what he is worth, compared to players at his position around the league.

Yes, I also think Bills won't tag him if they can't agree to a long term deal in the winter because then it wouldn't make sense for the team to pay him $15.5 million for two years and then have him walk away for nothing in 2015. $7 million this year is a decent amount for them to pay this year, and hopefully it will count somewhat towards a long term deal in February.

Edited by GG

It's not 2005. Polamalu has not been an impact safety in a while, Woodson was on the waiver wire and Reed has been beat up. There is a new generation of up and coming safeties and Byrd is certainly in that mix. I would take him over any of those guys at this point. He is a top 3 safety at this point IMO.

The top 3 safeties today would be Byrd, Weddle and Thomas.

Edited by Big C

It doesn't really make sense to allow you to negotiate but not sign. At least none I can think of. Here is a good all around article on franchise tenders, specifically as it relates to Byrd, although it doesnt answer our question.

http://www.nationalf...g-deadline.html

It makes sense if it allows you to re-open negotiations so you can sign the contract the day after the regular season ends.

Edited by GaryPinC

We were doing fine without him... I'm all for it as long he doesn't mess up what Pettine has started.

Doing fine without him? So looking good against a couple teams in preseason is doing well? The Vikings sat the best player in the league so how does that game even matter?