Passion and F911

BillsNYC

Other than the obvious appeal (to some) of the over the top Bash-bashing, what made F911 worthy of consideration as a top film?

205256[/snapback]

Same thing that makes Leni Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" such a well-considered classic: good propaganda often involves excellent filmmaking. "Truth" doesn't enter into it.

Well, the SFX were cool.  If they had just cut out about 2 hrs. worth of b.s. it would have been pretty entertaining.  :)

208941[/snapback]

You could say the same about the Perfect Storm. I appreciated the book but the movie was a big disappointment except for the storm part. The ending reminded me of the opera I attended yesterday where we were all thinking "will you DIE already?!" as the lead kept coming back from the brink of death to sing yet another 10 minutes...ugh.

You could say the same about the Perfect Storm.  I appreciated the book but the movie was a big disappointment except for the storm part.  The ending reminded me of the opera I attended yesterday where we were all thinking "will you DIE already?!" as the lead kept coming back from the brink of death to sing yet another 10 minutes...ugh.

209125[/snapback]

I loved the book The Perfect Storm! I loathed the movie. Huge difference. I love the detail in the book. I have some good buddys that fish out of Point Judith and they all say that book nailed it. Thats their life. I am a weather dork too and love all the details in the book that described how that storm came to be and what made it a "perfect storm". That was a huge part of the book that the movie never articulated on

I loved the book The Perfect Storm!  I loathed the movie.  Huge difference.  I love the detail in the book.  I have some good buddys that fish out of Point Judith and they all say that book nailed it.  Thats their life.  I am a weather dork too and love all the details in the book that described how that storm came to be and what made it a "perfect storm".  That was a huge part of the book that the movie never articulated on

209228[/snapback]

I agree 100% - loved the book and the only reason I saw the movie was to see how they did the storm. I am fascinated by the whole thing - spent some time in Gloucester years ago and as a kid loved the book "Captains Courageous", which surely couldn't have been too accurate but still it got me hooked. I love Storm Stories on the Weather Channel too.

There's another book you might like, about the "A Boats" they called them, built in Anacortes, two of them (maybe all three) went down almost simultaneously in the Bering Sea in the 1990's. It was very interesting how they went about determining exactly how they capsized ... quite a discussion about the fishing industry and all. If you aren't familiar with it PM me and I'll poke around my bookcase to get the author and title (hopefully I haven't lent it out).

I agree 100% - loved the book and the only reason I saw the movie was to see how they did the storm.  I am fascinated by the whole thing - spent some time in Gloucester years ago and as a kid loved the book "Captains Courageous", which surely couldn't have been too accurate but still it got me hooked.  I love Storm Stories on the Weather Channel too.

There's another book you might like, about the "A Boats" they called them, built in Anacortes, two of them (maybe all three) went down almost simultaneously in the Bering Sea in the 1990's.   It was very interesting how they went about determining exactly how they capsized ... quite a discussion about the fishing industry and all.  If you aren't familiar with it PM me and I'll poke around my bookcase to get the author and title (hopefully I haven't lent it out).

209333[/snapback]

I live by the water here in Connecticut. I remember the Perfect Storm well. It was the night River Phoenix died. My friend lived on the water and he had a halloween party. His daughters name is Grace. That storm was never named until it was too late. It was remnants of hurricane Grace. Anyways I remember it was windy and the sound was real choppy. We are protected by Long Island and in the sounds 2 foot waves or so were the norm. Well I recall water smashing against the breakwall that night and it was foggy. Not even 45 miles away-away from Long Island barrier- Block Island was experiencing 30 foot waves. Block Island also took a direct hit from Hurricane Bob 10 years ago or so. I had friends there and they said it was crazy

Not even 45 miles away-away from Long Island barrier- Block Island was experiencing 30 foot waves.  Block Island also took a direct hit from Hurricane Bob 10 years ago or so.  I had friends there and they said it was crazy

209390[/snapback]

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was the spot off the coast of Block Island where LI Sound waters and Atlantic Ocean waters meet, and it literally looks like LI Sound hits a wall, and falls into the ocean. Really cool.