WiFi amps

The Big Cat

I've been using the same Mac Airport since 2006, for the most part, it works just fine.

We just moved to a bigger place, though, and while I have it pretty centrally located, the front of our place gets spotty strength.

Distance between dead zone and airport is no more than 25-40 feet.

Will we forever suffer a dead zone? Or will a new unit solve all our problems?

I've been using the same Mac Airport since 2006, for the most part, it works just fine.

We just moved to a bigger place, though, and while I have it pretty centrally located, the front of our place gets spotty strength.

Distance between dead zone and airport is no more than 25-40 feet.

Will we forever suffer a dead zone? Or will a new unit solve all our problems?

Wireless Repeater may help.

Add an Airport Express (or two, as needed). I have an AirPort Extreme in the cental basement, and two Express units in the front and back of the house. Gives me excellent signal out in the front yard and back yard.

Netgear wireless repeater works great. The apple stuff is more expensive but not any better. Netgear n9000, I think? is awesome. Plug your printer in directly to a USB port to print from anywhere, plug in a HDD to the second USB and you can have your own home network for any wireless devices, or if you cat6 a desktop to it you can use that as your network drive. Then to top if off with the right software and apps you can get to any device. From my nexus10 I can get to my android phone for files wirelessly.

With a new router you may not even need a repeater. Get a dual band if you do get one and its not the netgear unit. You can stream on one band without effecting your N band.

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'm more concerned whether it's the Airport Express that's "faulty" or if my home just has dead spots that no Earthly wifi shall ever overcome. FWIW, here's a diagram of our setup, since it's a little unorthodox:

f6XLXwv.jpg

You may just want to get a wireless AC router that has really good range for both 2.4GHz and 5Hz bands. That way you'll also be prepared for future clients that support the latest available speeds.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-networking-devices/

So, I'm to gather that there is no such thing as a 'dead' spot?

I don't know man. I may live in the country... but I can pick up my wireless G signal from almost 200 yards some times. It is on a bookshelf in my "office" and I get cross the street, enter my parents house and go to where there is probably 80 yards and 6 walls between us...and I stay good.